Posted: Oct 31st 2010 5:24PM bluehairedfairy said

Out of curiosity, how are you playing this game? When I visited the War of Angels sight, I found a notice saying I couldn't play due to my location. (I'm in the US)

After checking around a bit, I found that War of Angels is currently in closed beta for NA, published by NeoWiz games.

As for Priston Tale II, I think some readers may have the same issue with an IP block. I was able to download and play, but after looking over the forums, that might not be the case for everyone else.

But either way, thanks for reviewing all these games! I have fun trying them out, even if I never manage to see you online. My hard drive, on the other hand, thinks you are mean ;)

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 5:33PM Beau Hindman said

Thanks for the comment!

Hmm, it says it's in open beta but I did notice later (after I had started playing this last week) that it says for me too "This is not available in your location." While there are many, many games that are in totally normal release, I have played so many that I need to go to these betas to play ones that I haven't seen yet.

I'm starting to think that I need to start looking at games I already have! lol Honestly, it's not about me playing only games I haven't seen anymore -- I really just want readers to try games they haven't yet. Remember, if you have suggestions leave 'em here or email me above. I would LOVE any! 9Even though most are games I have played in the past. hehe)

Beau

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 5:40PM fauxcivility said

I'll prob download this :]

I did not like War of Angels... at all :x

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 6:10PM jeremy2020 said

"Yes, many games use it (and I have heard developers admit to this) as a way to make money while continuing to roll out basic development, but I say we allow them to just drop the "beta" part and get on with it. "

They're welcome to drop the beta part at any time. It wasn't players who started this trend of instead of 'releasing' an unfinished game they slap a beta tag on it to pretend that something else is going on.

Players are no longer under the illusion that because a developer says 'beta' that it really is a 'test' and not a player funded development phase, but it's not our fault that developers are still trying to sustain that illusion.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 6:20PM Beau Hindman said

Well, this depends on whether or not you believe that the particular game you're playing is in "testing" enough for it to affect your play. What I am trying to point at, when saying what I did in the article, is that developers *have to* use the "beta" tag as a backup -- as a sort of insurance. It's not an luusions

If we drop the concern, then we allow them to do what every game (and I mean every) has to do at the beginning: tweak the heck out of stuff.

Also, we are talking about free games, with free clients. I, for one, want to allow them to charge or do whatever they want. If I don't like it, I can simply leave the game. I do it every week with games that do not meet my criteria.

Beau

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 6:21PM Beau Hindman said

EDIT: I have no idea what happened to my comment! lol Illusion maybe? Who knows.

Beau

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 6:54PM jeremy2020 said

Players didn't start using the 'beta' tag. Developers are 'free' to launch and tweak their games. This trend started with developers who were afraid a game with problems would get labeled.

No one is under the illusion that 'open beta' is a testing phase anymore.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 7:05PM TheSinisterOne said

This looks pretty interesting. So I went over to the site and tried to download it, and none of the download links are working. It's also calling what's happening now Closed Beta.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 7:04PM Pingles said

At the same time I think there is value in "testing" how the item shop effects gameplay.

I have been in Betas where they gave testers "tokens" for the item shop but the true test is when only the true cash buyers are shopping to see if they are skewing gameplay too strongly.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 7:54PM Beau Hindman said

Opeb beta is the normal spot for truly testing the cash shop, since players can keep their characters (and the items) into the "release."

But it's getting weird, now, though. I'm starting to lose my ability to tell the difference! lol

Beau

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 7:56PM Bhagpuss said

If you plan on revisiting older F2P games, can I suggest NeoSteam?

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 8:19PM Fakeassname said

hay, Beau:

Dynasty Warriors Online!

it just finished closed beta (actually had some problems that got fixed due to play testing, not just a pre OB stress test) and will be going into open pretty soon.

if you want to play something different, this is it! the game play wont surprise anyone who has played a dynasty warriors game before (except in how much it's not changed from the console release) but it's simply jaw dropping how smooth everything plays.

it's almost embarrassing how this thing can get 100+ enemies on screen with up to 8 players in battle and over 30 players in town (can't say I've seen more than that at once, but it could probably take more) with little to no lag, yet Vindictus cant handle over 5 npc's before starting to sputter and the towns will lag even if your by yourself.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 1:23AM nathael said

It looks like it has a great looking game world. It reminds me a little of ffxi. I actually got a little teary eyed seeing those big structures in the background with the flying ship and stuff.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 9:19AM (Unverified) said

I would have like a little more discussion of how the lore unfolded for you in your playing time (more than just saying quest lines are broken). The review boils down to an analysis of movement, the monster grind, and a small mention of questing.

Some of us do play for story and need to know if there is a chance of decent immersion before trying it out. I also didn't get a sense of how hard or easy both combat control and combat outcome was.

I appreciate the author plays a lot of games, but for these reviews I think a tiny bit more time needs to be put in so that the big catch-all communities know whether this is the game for them (e.g. pvp, pve, rp, etc.).

Keep up the good work.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 9:42AM Beau Hindman said

Touc: Remember that the goal of this column is to spend a week playing the game, for a first impression. During that week I generally spend about 10 hours in the game. If the game is great, I will spend a lot more. The problem is, I have seen most or all of the games I am coming across (that's why I am going to betas now.)

If you look at the article and video, I explain that the lore should come to me in the process of playing the game. If it is on the website, cool -- if I happen to catch it then that's great. But the column is set up with the idea of testing how a game "performs" when I download it, jump in and go for it. That's just the particular ruleset.

Anyway, there isn't any lore on the website or in the game. The first quests said almost nothing (at least that I can remember) about the lore. I have to keep the test the same for all games, so that games that *do* let me know the lore through the gameplay, and that *do* give me a feeling of who I am and where I am, are able to stand out as special.

But I hear ya, and I will try to snag some more lore tidbits in the column. IF they exist in the game! :)

Beau

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 3:03PM Justpotatoes said

Ah hah! So you did do a game review this week! After one of your blog posts last week, I was hoping to see you talk about the criteria for staying on your hard drive. But game reviews are awesome too! :)

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 3:55PM Fakeassname said

I would just like to state: live stream really sucks for me.

I live in a relatively rural location and have got a crap internet connection, video streaming services like this one (and Atom) that only play from a buffer lock up after a few seconds as the program tries to flip flop between the adds and the video.

is there any possible way to offer these videos as dowloadables as well as streamed video?

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 9:24AM Beau Hindman said

Fake: No, there's not. I thought of doing a Frapsed video, but again it would be streamed to you and not downloadable. Also, I stream live as part of the column, with chat room and everything.

I'll be sure to ask the Gods of Power, though. (My bosses.)

Beau

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 8:52AM jh3141 said

"When a quest asks you to kill 10 of mob X, yet the mob is named something slightly different, you know that the devs might need to make another sweep over the in-game text."

Interestingly, the last time I had this problem was with Fiesta Online, which is also published by Gamigo (in Europe, at least). I'm wondering if the problem is simply that Gamigo's localization team just ain't that good?

(I did notice that stuff was consistent within quest text, and consistent within the mob names, but the two didn't match each other -- I wondered whether perhaps they'd been translated by two different teams without communication between them).

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 9:23AM Beau Hindman said

Yeh, I am not sure what the problem is, but I do not like it. Stuff like that turns people off of good games, and off of FTP games in general because they think it happens in all of them. It irks me because there are so many games that don't do it.

Beau