Posted: Oct 31st 2010 11:01AM kazamxi said

My hope is that this is aimed more at noobs rather than vets.

I would like to see this used to narrow the gap between new players and long time players as this is one of the biggest problems with the game currently.

I think that by letting people skill up stats to a maximum of say 60, weapon skills but not masteries and magic schools but not spells could go a long way to helping noobs catch up.

Vets would also benefit as they could take advantage of the free skill gains to help them level a new weapon or magic school they couldn't be bothered with before.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 11:17AM Kaoss said

Bit off-topic but did they ever end up changing the UI. Might seem weak but the UI made the game unenjoyable for me. I didn't mind the graphics and the general gameplay mechanics were right down my league, but just couldn't get past the UI. I read they were planning on updating it, wasn't sure if they had yet or not

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 12:04PM Monkey D Luffy said

I hear the UI is getting changed in the DF2010 Xpac.

The UI and Regents for magic are what keep me away from the game, that and the drop from 100~ FPS to 8 FPS every 30 seconds that started after a patch in Feb.

Fix those and it's my dream MMO.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 1:25PM kazamxi said

The UI and the Chat are having a total overhaul in the DF2010 expansion. We don't really know what that means yet.

It might be that things are going to be totally different or maybe its all under the hood upgrades, we need to wait and see. The one thing we do know is thay are putting a lot of man hours into doing something with it.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 2:01PM alucard3000 said

lol @ the UI is the best ever seen in a mmorpg,thanks for the laugh I needed a good one today.=)

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 11:26AM blix2006 said

i doubt they will be letting skills that require reagents be apart of this offline skilling..

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 12:09PM (Unverified) said

it kinda makes all the hard work ive put in seem like a waste but if itll bring more new players in im game. I would like to see a cap on majo skills/stats though.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 1:34PM Sadius551 said

Been looking at checking this game out for quite some time and this update kinda sounds like now might be the best time to give it a go.

Any thoughts? Is Darkfall worth a shot?

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 2:33PM nathael said

I downloaded the trial on a few occasions. TBH, I could never get the game to work. It might be the old radeon video card I have, But I can run AOC without a problem.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 2:37PM Song7 said

Try the 14 day trial. It's not the greatest game in the world, but what it does it does well. It's by far worth the download, I enjoyed my few months in Agon. I just couldn't see investing the amount of time required to get over the newbee hump.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 8:21PM Sorphius said

I'd say it's definitely worth a shot. It was buggy as hell at release, but they fixed many of the biggest problems and it's really quite a good game if fps full-loot, full-pvp is your thing.

I always liked (and still do) the idea of Darkfall, and actually managed to get the game in the first week or so of its release. But after 6 months of nutcupping alliances and never-ending city sieges I realized I was more of a carebear than I thought going in. Between that and many of my IG friends leaving the game for greener pastures, I stopped playing around the time the North American servers opened.

I re-subbed this past spring to have a look around at the changes they'd made and really enjoyed myself. However, none of my old friends were still playing and the NPC cities were pretty devoid of life except for the occasional farmer afk-herbing/mining/chopping in the relative safety of the towers.

It's definitely worth downloading the free trial to have a look around, but (at least in my experience) Darkfall seems to be missing the second "M" in "MMO" these days. If it could have released in its current form a year and a half ago I think things would be much different. As it exists now though, it is an incredibly large world built to support probably 10 times the number of active players.

The end result is empty cities and wide-open landscapes that are great for explorers and the occasional small-scale roleplay, but the game world feels pretty empty overall.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 6:37PM xBludx said

I like this game a lot, but I just don't have the time to play as much as I did before. That means I don't feel like I can log in for a couple of hours and "accomplish" much. So people that I was playing with a few months ago are way ahead of me (if they still play DF at all).

If this offline skilling is not too conservatively implemented, then it would help motivate me a lot to maintain my sub. I'm sure that I'm not alone in feeling this way. And this would go a long way toward giving the world a healthier population. I keep my sub now, just because I like the potential of this game so much and I want to log in once in a while and kill a few whatever mobs and explore the world.

Basically, it's going to be hard to find a mature (non-basement dwelling) community that sticks with the game with the kind of time required to play it at present.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM