Posted: Oct 30th 2010 9:05PM TheGreatMachine said

The effects look ugly and are not very-comic art in style. Pick up a comic book once in a while - where are my kirby dots and/or crackle?

C'mon DCUO, I want to be hyped for you but the great majority of news releases have me facepalming. I hope that it's just SOE's incompetent marketing team at work again; as instead of being hyped at news I worry ever more that the game will suck.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 9:21PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The effects look great.

Last thing I would want to see is a bunch "comic style" graphics.

Put together an Action MMO, the DC universe, and good graphics. That leads to a great game.

Lets not repeat alot of the CoH or CO bad ideas.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 10:19PM (Unverified) said

"Last thing I would want to see is a bunch "comic style" graphics. "

Are you for real?

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 10:40PM TheGreatMachine said

CO and CoH also failed for the most part. They were cartoon-ish if anything (esp. CO.).

Comic art is a part of the DC Universe, you're not representing properly if you replace it's style with an tonne of glowing nonsense. That said, this video restores my faith:

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 3:36PM (Unverified) said

Comic style graphics work in comics.

They don't work well in video games.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 10:23PM (Unverified) said

SoE and PVP are two abreviations that will never work together.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 11:58PM Vorender said

• 1 heart
This game looks fine as long as it's not in motion.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 7:09AM Purkit said

Yep. The videos don't impress. Its odd, some games can look terrible in screenshots, but quite good in videos or in game. With DCUO its the other way round.

The art direction seems almost non existent. Its all over the place with no real visual theme. Don't get me wrong, they'll have to try really hard to make a game as ugly as CO, but it does look like they are trying really hard.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 7:13AM beskar said

• 1 heart
The effects look nothing like what we see in comic books. Epic fail, right from the start. Honestly, who do they get designing MMOs these days? Because they all seem as equally clueless as each other.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 3:38PM (Unverified) said

"The effects look nothing like what we see in comic books. Epic fail, right from the start. "

Epic Win! Complete comic style graphics do NOT look good in video games. That style is best for the comic medium and not games.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 8:23PM beskar said

Even if that was true, Naug, the fact that they've made these effects look like spells from Lord of the Rings is cheesy as hell.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 9:26PM TheGreatMachine said

Exactly. These argument's would be a lot stronger if we weren't looking of a page full of some very average screenshots

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 10:18AM Temploiter said

So this is a Japanime Fantasy MMO then?

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 11:03AM Skyydragonn said

havign gottena beta invite all I can say is none of the screenshots or video do the actual gameplay justice.

The attention to detail, the fluididty of combat, this is going to hammer the MMO-hero genre like a 20ton sledgehammer wielded by Bane.
I don't normally gush about any game, anyone whos ever read my comments can attest to this, but this title has a level of immersive quality lacking in any other MMORPG I've played in the last 7 years.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 3:42PM (Unverified) said

"but this title has a level of immersive quality lacking in any other MMORPG I've played in the last 7 years."

The gameplay and fights have been awesome in beta.

The fact that they abandoned the traditional, convoluted MMORPG approach for a Action MMO is also great.

Streamlined, straightforeward, fast, action based MMO for the WIN.

If you want a grindy, filled to the brim with meaningless options and mechanics, and RPG MMO then DCUO isn't likely your game.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 12:43PM Furdinand said

Did the Dark Knight or Spiderman 2 have comic book graphics?

I think some of you are confusing medium (comics) with genre (superhero). Some things that work well in graphic format don't carry over well in animation. In my experience, trying to ape the comic book style tends to make projects too campy. For example, the Batman TV show (Adam West) and Freedom Force.

I think the best approach is to try to carry over what makes superheroes compelling: their character, motivations, stories, costumes, etc. and place them into a game that would appeal to gamers and not just comic book fans.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 9:20PM TheGreatMachine said

Comic book artist's are exactly that - artists. All I'm asking is instead of leaving it at the same generic glowing sigil stuff we see in every fantasy MMO. They instead should take more examples from the shapes and forms used in the comics to represent powers.

Comic art has innovated and moved on along with every other field. It's not all campy onomatopoeia.

Your two film examples didn't contain any energy users so it's not a great argument.

is anyone going to tell me that this: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/17016/doctor-strange-03.jpg

Wouldn't look better than any of the screen shotted effects? It's a simple arcane energy beamy thing but done with class. Totally within the capability of a graphics artist to render in 3D.

Posted: Oct 31st 2010 11:40PM Skyydragonn said

I think you might have misread my comment. I said that DCUO HAS a level of immersion that all of the MMORPGs i've played in the last 7 yrs have lacked.

I agree, its a very refreshing change to say the least.

WRUP: Lucky Korea