Posted: Oct 30th 2010 11:35AM PrimeSynergy said

That's really darn impressive. A small, but interesting read too. I'm usually sleep when the server goes down so this won't affect me either way, but this is probably great news for some.

Now CCP, stop trying to distract me with all these cool announcements and get back to working on Incursion!

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 11:38AM (Unverified) said

hmmm.....i guess racing to get online and do that dangerous hop or trying to get past that gatecamp will get a little harder.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 2:37PM Lamthara said

i thought about this too.... ^^

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 12:46PM Fausts said

Without server downtime I won't know it's time to go to bed.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 3:03PM Henthor said

Can someone tell me what year it is on earth again?! hmmm ... Maybe it is time for me to go back to my clone.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 3:38PM jh3141 said

About f'ing time. When I tried a free trial (about a year and a half ago) the downtime made it almost unplayable for me (as the only convenient free time I get is early morning european time). I'm sure I'm not the only one.

And, seriously, why did it ever need to go offline? Yes, single shard, etc. But other MMOs handle their regular maintenance requirements without downtime, and I don't really see why EVE ever needed to be different. A little thinking about instancing can deal with the respawning asteroids problem, and load balancing is something other MMOs have been dealing with since the very beginning without huge issues...

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 3:47PM Brendan Drain said

Most MMOs have scheduled maintenance periods. There are database cleanups that just have to be done and they can't usually be done while the server is online. World of Warcraft servers, for example, have a weekly downtime for maintenance lasting several hours.

Load balancing is also something that must currently be done when the server is shut down, as transferring a process from one piece of server hardware to another would interrupt all operations on that process (potentially disconnecting thousands of people from the game). Other MMOs don't run into the issue because they don't use EVE's single-server structure and so don't need to perform any regular load balancing. They just limit the number of people that can sign up to a certain game server to keep the entire game server's processing requirements within the spec of a single computer system.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 4:16AM (Unverified) said

WOOOO.

Downtime is right when I want to play the game. CCP + 10 internets

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 9:55PM jweicc said

DT is my prime hours for gaming also, so it's surely good to hear about the plans to remove it.

Why I Play: ArcheAge