Posted: Oct 27th 2010 12:38PM (Unverified) said

I decided to give Vindictus a shot last weekend.

I launched into it with no idea what it really was aside from "built on Source engine" and expected it to get uninstalled pretty quickly.

I have been happily click-clicking away for a week now and the first day I think I blasted through about 9 hours without even realizing it. It is really really fun and different. Ive got two characters around 20 and can't wait to get home and start up my Evie.

Its repetitive. Its limited on content. I do not care. Its fun and the little achievements, titles, and level objectives keep me coming back for an hour or two every night.

It reminds me of Ragnarok Online in some ways, and Im sure its similar to other games out there as well, but I have had no previous experience with Nexon's games.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 12:37PM jeremy2020 said

So does it have more than two characters yet?

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 1:02PM Syesta said

I believe Evie gets unlocked today.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 12:42PM Fakeassname said

it was decent, not really as stellar as what it was billed as, but the cash shop is something that Nexon should be ashamed of and I will have no part of it.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 12:51PM Zantom said

What is wrong with the cash shop? Serious question, I have not tried this title yet.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 1:24PM DevilSei said

Well, previously (before yesterday or so), the item shop tokens were overpriced, but that was apparently changed.

The major kicker, for me at least, is the lack of any real permanent customization. Under armor and hair is both locked to 30-day only rentals, getting close to about $3-4 for each one. If you made one of each character, and bought 1 hair style and 1 under-armor for each, that's $20-25 a month to keep them.

Even if you kept it down to maybe 1 item per person, that's still the cost of a normal P2P MMO, and paying the subscription price of one just to have 3 cosmetic items to be "permanent" is a waste of cash compared to what I can get with it instead.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 2:14PM Fakeassname said

biggest issue: them selling stat boosters.

undies of +150 def / +10 luck are unacceptable, if Nexon continues down this path Vindictus will be P2W by the end of the year.

couple that with the monthly "premium service" (aka subscription) for the same price as the undies and you got a real mess waiting to happen.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 12:58PM DFuzzy1 said

I'm surprised at the lack of coverage over the whole token controversy.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 1:25PM DevilSei said

Yeah, it is odd, but considering some comments I've seen made about this game on prior articles, I'm not all that surprised.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 1:12PM Rollins said

Gender-locked classes still drive me absolutely insane in far too many Korean MMOs (including Vindictus). I know it's a relatively minor point, but I prefer to play my own gender (male), which limits me to one class in this particular game.

My girlfriend, who tends to enjoy playing tanking classes, also likes to play female characters, which is often an issue because many games with gender-locked classes make the spellcasters female-only and the melee characters male-only. Admittedly, this particular configuration isn't a problem in Vindictus (Fiona is a tank), but it doesn't work out far too often.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but it's one of the things that kept me from enjoying Vindictus as much as I would have otherwise.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 5:56PM (Unverified) said

To be fair, this game does have more justification for gender-locked classes than most games do. The characters are supposed to be heroes from the Mabinogi universe, as far as I know. This is also why they have names instead of simply being called "Knight" or "Barbarian."

They are also slowly finishing up the characters, and there will eventually be more than one male character (I think there are 3 on the select screen right now, with only one available). It doesn't bother me though. Maybe I'm used to it from playing so much Diablo II over the years. I like to play both genders to mix things up.

Posted: Oct 28th 2010 1:57PM wondersmith said

After being forced to play a female in order to have a combat pet in Perfect World, I vowed, "Never again!" The Asians can keep their sexist gender-locked MMOs to themselves.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 1:44PM (Unverified) said

"Vindictus Service Region: US and Canada ONLY "

Seems a bit odd, still no word when we can play it in the EU. WTF is going on with this one??

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 2:21PM Sigma7 said

Europeans = red-headed stepchild of the mmo developers.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 2:17PM Anatidae said

I dunno, this game seems less of a MMO than Global Agenda is and GA is pretty borderline as is.

I am starting to think that MMOs should have more than shared in-game lobbies (called towns) with everything else instance play. Because then if we take any FPS game out there and tag on a lobby we an run around with a character then it becomes an MMO.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 3:25PM (Unverified) said

yay the game gets final lunch in US and EU has not even got closed beta cuz EU Nexon is a bunch of slow shits yeah take your time we can wait 10 more years plz I beg you EU nexus wait 10 more years.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 4:54PM (Unverified) said

This game is like a gimped (not in fun, just in content) version of Contitnent of the ninth which is out in Korea. I wish they would get their poo together and release C9 here in the states because it would dominate.

The change from the old style boring mmo market into a C9, Vindictus style combat system with the open world enviornment of our old style games ala Tera is going to be what brings me back into this genre and quick like.

I loved eq, eq2, daoc etc but they all lacked an interesting, old combat system which bored me to tears. This click to evade, attack and having combo's based on which variation of the above you clicked / pressed is fun as hell, its too bad Vindictus didn't go into more detail on the combat system as of at least the lower levels it feels limited compared to the things I can do in C9.

Of course this is in English, so I can actually read it which does make it a bit more appealing =P

Posted: Oct 28th 2010 8:39AM Snichy said

This was something which I was interested in trying but I dont think its out in Europe yet. However judging by what people are saying about the cash shop, im not going to bother. When will developers listen, that just the smallest yet important thing can put people off forever and to get it right from the start!

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 11:49AM (Unverified) said

A free-to-play game is exactly what it is, FREE-TO-PLAY! You only pay for perks. If you can live without perks, then yes, it is FREE! I still don't see why people are making such a big deal out of a free game anyways... XD

I am happy with Vindictus's gameplay, even though there are a few bugs they need to work on, like minor stuff. To be honest, the lowering of prices on items in cash shop here in the USA, should be admired, because Korea is paying those original prices...which yes, IMO are ridiculous.

Oh, and one more thing... to those out there who give other newbs a hard time, saying stuff like "I have rank 9 on all my skills, just like it should be... you guys suck!" Please, do us a favor, and just shut the HELL up! I'm not in competition, nor do I care about beating up other people in P2P, I just want to play a game cooperatively, help others who ask for it, and make this game more enjoyable for others. I want to have fun! Plain and simple. Grinding is fun most of the time, however, I don't flaunt my stats around to people just because I want to have an alter-ego.