Posted: Oct 27th 2010 9:04PM DancingCow said

It's true. NCSoft learned from the (relatively few) mistakes they made with CoH and CoV was the superior game for it.

I think that's particularly true for ATs. CoH's controllers are effectively better defenders than defenders. CoV's ATs are better conceived.

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 11:19PM Valdamar said

CoV has always been my favourite half of CoH - zones, arcs, archetypes - all of my favourites are on redside and not blueside. Also on redside contacts don't "waste your time" sending you to a mission 3 zones away before you get travel powers, or send you out to hunt something that only spawns at night usually on rooftops (those *%$£@ Circle of Thorns in King's Row) - I really appreciate that.

Sadly that hasn't been the case for the majority of the population and redside was always at least half as populated as blueside. Going Rogue doesn't seem to have changed that much either, not on Union or Defiant anyway.

Posted: Oct 28th 2010 8:25AM Damn Dirty Ape said

Agreed on all counts. I love everything about CoV.... aside from the lack of players redside on many of the servers. Thankfully now with going rogue we have the capability of going to both redside and blueside without switching characters.

The music, the zones, the classes, the quests.... CoV just pushes all the right buttons for me. Almost all of my favorite zones are redside (Cap Au Diable has always felt like more of a 'home base' to me than Atlas Park ever did).

Posted: Oct 28th 2010 11:54AM Daemodand said

Ah, City of Villains! The game that got me into the game. I had heard via word-of-mouth of City of Heroes, but wasn't intrigued enough to get into the game. Then I heard of CoV, and a description of the Mastermind Archetype. Based on that, I just had to play!

Once in-game, the Archetype descriptions had me rolling a Brute as my first character rather than a MM, though. My costume was awful, but the Brute Archetype was amazing and newb friendly, too.

Sadly, the redside of the game has languished with precious little content being added (no, co-op doesn't count), and it was rolled into the overall CoH game ending its existence as a distinct game. But I'll never forget those heady days of 2006 when I stepped into City of Villains for the first time.

Posted: Oct 28th 2010 5:41PM Sente said

I agree with pretty much everything in the article.

CoV has been my favourite half of the game and prior to Going Rogue I probably spent 85-90% of the game time on redside.

I do spend more time on blueside since Going Rogue, primarily because I can play the CoV archetypes there now and with ultra mode the CoH zones are more tolerable.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014