Posted: Oct 25th 2010 4:00PM breezer said

Interesting... f2p doesn't automatically grant you millions of subscriptions. That comes as a genuine surprise to me.

It raises the question, who are these millions of f2pers and what compels them to try a game. Probably not, as Jef inferred, a 6 yo, decidedly generic fantasy fare.

So f2p may not be the blanket payment plan answer afterall...

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 9:55PM Phirmware said

The gradual move on the live servers towards a complete RMT business model is one reason I am glad I got out when I did.

They have pretty much decided that this is going to be the route they are headed, current player-base be damned.

Posted: Oct 26th 2010 6:47AM DiscoJer said

The trouble with EQ2 is that it just looks and feels old.

I played it for about a month after it went free. The amount of content in the game is amazing. The depth. Like housing, or crafting or how many quests there are. Little things like learning the languages of various races and hearing what they say to you.

But it just looks and feels like something from the last decade. And I don't really mean the 2000s. I fired up Guild Wars the other day and that looks newer (dated, but newer than EQ2).

It might not be possible, but what the game needs more than anything is a new graphics engine. I'm not saying the game looks terrible, it doesn't, but it doesn't look as fancy (nor run as well) as more recent games on the same hardware.

Posted: Oct 26th 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

I'm not defending the game, though i do love it, but I have to disagree.

If you have a system that can handle EQ2 on max quality, the graphics are on par with anything else on the market today. It's absolutely stunning, imho.

If you have to start toning things down, I will agree that the look deteriorates quickly. They tried to build an engine that would last for years, but the CPU and GPU market didn't go in the direction they projected. What they ended up with is an engine that requires much more CPU than video card.. and our video cards these days are monsters. =) At least that's how i understand it.

If you weren't referring to graphics, I would still have to disagree. The general look and feel is great in my opinion.

Little things, like NPC and PC heads that move and follow you as you move. And the realistic attitudes and humor coming from the vast NPC population.

The more I talk about it, the more I really like it. I also happen to be playing it again atm after being gone quite a while. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Posted: Oct 26th 2010 1:06PM (Unverified) said

What SOE tried to do with EQ2 engine was to create an ultimate engine to prevent switching over to a new one every few expansions, like they did with EQ1. At the time, both Intel and AMD were on the GHz race and there were no signs of multicore CPU's or threaded applications. So they just built their engine around that, they figured CPU's would get to extreme GHz values in the future, which would make their engine infinitely compatible and scalable, compared to rapidly changing GPU architecture.

Fast forward to today, we got mainstream 6 core CPU's and monster GPU's that are lightning fast on parallel computing. Totally different from what one would have expected 8 to 10 years ago (time they started working on). This is the very same reason why WoW is also dependent on CPU. (WoW requires very little to run but thats not the point, it is still CPU bound)

EQ2 is a title that could have been in the place of WoW, but SOE made one mistake after the other. Alienating their own fanbase, lack of marketing, lack of direction, lack of balls to address ongoing issues, list goes on.

For huge majority of people, including veterans and outsiders, EQ2 is just a wreck that is waiting to be put out of its misery. SOE will claim for a long time that EQ2X is a success, they will repeat that every chance they get, but that won't change the facts.

Any of you guys saw the last fanfest dev Q&A session videos?

Posted: Oct 28th 2010 4:42PM (Unverified) said

If everquest Next has ratongas I am so ready to Drop everquest 2 and move on, the game is on life support as it is and the engine was programmed with all the wrong ideas to make it last long and have good performance.

it never had really good performance and it is not programmed to run on Multicore Cpus and fast GPus.

My new PC run exactly like my old PC in this game.

Oh and the server merge is the life support it was boring as hell since everywhere was a ghost town with nobody in it, it was not like that years ago I saw people, at least one new person I played with every time now it is dead.