Posted: Oct 25th 2010 9:32AM InkSix said

Has anyone played the beta for this? I love mechs but I'm not sure about this game just by reading and watching the vids on the website. Sounds like they are trying to be EVE but with mechs instead of ships.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 9:44AM Pan1 said

Yes I did.

Well no, trying to compare it to EVE is doing both a disservice.
Other then they both are a sandbox and they are SF it ends.
In my opinion.

My only problem with Perpetuum is that (as with EVE) it quickly becomes more of a job then a game. A sandbox's nr 1 pitfall.
Also, I find that the game art doesn't reflect the massive size of the mechs.

Technically it runs quite smooth if you are not running a toaster. :)
If you like this genre of MMO's , from my beta experience, I would say that it can become a very good game.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 10:06AM Kalec said

I'm srry, I tried not to look at it as EvE with mechs ... on ground ... buggy ... and less interesting ... not to mention less intuitive (than eve, that's saying something) ... but it is all of that and more.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 10:37AM alucard3000 said

Unfortunately it also didnt give the feeling of being in a MECH either I felt more like I was playing with a matchbox car(not the actual cars but scaling if you know what I mean) and also didnt like the target lock turn on autofire guns til mob is dead Eve like combat.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 11:32AM swarmofcats said

I logged in for about 15 minutes, got as far as the character creation. It's literally a screen for screen redo of EVE's. The portraits, the way you can move their heads around and tweak their features, the way that you select a history and progress through the different subdivisions of that history. You wouldn't believe it without seeing it but it's exactly the same. (I'd screenshot but I uninstalled already.)

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 11:47AM Unverfied B said

This game is an EVE clone, and not a good one at that.

Unless you REAAAAAAALY want to play mechs in an MMO - my recommendation would be to just play EVE and ignore this game.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 11:57AM Ragemore said

The Developers are Hungarian and the total Dev team is around 10 people, so before bashing it too much keep in mind what they have to work with.

It reminds me of early Eve, not years of fixes and expansions Eve, but how it was during beta. Sure, the game is still raw, and it will probably only appeal to a niche group just like Eve, but give it a chance at least.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 1:56PM Seffrid said

Good heavens, a cloned MMO that isn't a WoW clone? That has to be a first, surely!

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 10:00PM (Unverified) said

Friends don't let friends pre-pay for unreleased games.

Posted: Oct 26th 2010 1:48AM (Unverified) said

EVE clone or not, it's not a WoW clone. The screenshots, art style, and design are all very appealing.

The fact that there's actually a world and not a whole lot of... well.. Space is quite an accomplishment.

Posted: Oct 26th 2010 3:04AM (Unverified) said

The game is astoundingly fun. And unlike some of what others have said here, it's a "improvement" on what eve was. Removing many of the worst ideas eve had (Not being able to hide behind stuff, POS warfare, and the ungodly tracking system.) and adding many fantastic ideas. (Taking cover, manufacturing that doesn't take ages to get into, WASD controls thank god, and having completely safe but limited safe areas.)

It's the best game I've played since eve, and so far is even better than eve. (Fun factor wise at least.) It is however a game strongly aimed at groups/corps/guilds.