Posted: Oct 23rd 2010 6:34PM Wolf Am I said

Though i am big fan of Massively and Vindictusand I like seeing this game get press. I find it very dissapointing to see no coverage on the current token system fiasco that caused a revolt in the majority of the OB players and has prompted Nexon to sponsor an inperson feedback session in LA.

The Token system will completely control how much you can actually play the game and how much you will have to pay out the nose to get more play time.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2010 7:14PM (Unverified) said

The token system is the main reason I really enjoy Vindictus. I play the game casually and so I always have a healthy stock of tokens available to continue playing.

Plus they create ways for you to acquire more tokens in-game (such as reviving allies).

Overall a great game. Tons of fun! :)

Posted: Oct 23rd 2010 11:12PM DevilSei said

Yeah, they may offer you ways to get more, but its highly situational. You'll have to play in the first boat dungeon about 10 times with people far lower than your level, and the other way involves those same people needing to die at the sum of 40 times total.

On top of that, the current price of "platinum" tokens is far more than the actual worth of them.

The game seems to be intentionally going down the Allods road of horrifically bad item shop prices. As mentioned below, the item "rental" shop offers no real reason why to waste cash on it, seeing at most you'll only have that armor for a cumulative total of a couple of days at best per month. The hair I won't even bother mentioning, as that alone will only be seen outside of battle, where you'll spend the least amount of time.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 10:53AM Beau Hindman said

For clarification: we have no idea what the "majority" of the playerbase, OB or not, is doing. If they are revolting, someone needs to tell all those players in the game right now! :)

As far as pricing, you can get 30 tokens for a little over 11 dollars. That means 30 additional visits. Also, the *optional* costumes are pretty dirt cheap, as well.

Hairstyle: 1900 points, under 2 dollars.

Makeup: 990 points, under 1 dollar.

New costumes 2900 - 5,300 or 3 dollars to 5 bucks.

Remember that you are receiving 30 *free* tokens on the next patch. As far as the visit to the studio, I would jump on the opportunity if you can. I would give anything to visit that studio! :) Granted, it's not guaranteed. http://vindictus.nexon.net/News/Content.aspx?boardNo=100&contentNo=009uA

Understand that if you play the game to the certain activity levels, it might require some cash. While it might be frustrating, I think we can all understand that someone has to pay somewhere. It would only make sense that it should be the players that are literally grinding on dungeons. From what I understand, you can continue to go to as many dungeons below the ones you have already accessed, for no tokens. Correct me if I am wrong.

Either way, if you need 12 bucks a month to play the game, consider it a subscription and call it good. No one said such levels of activity should be 100% free for everyone, regardless of activity level.

Beau

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 3:58PM DiscordSK said

You seem to be missing the point, $12 a month to not have a generic character is a very strange subscription method. I'm going to completely ignore the fees you have to pay for a self rez in a dungeon and how you need to buy tokens from the cash shop in order to continue playing after a certain point, that I really don't have that much of a problem with. That makes a rather decent ammount of sense.

My issue is that charging players a monthly fee for a hairstyle or underwear seems like a very ass backwards way of making money. I personally wouldn't mind investing a few dollars into my character for some of this stuff, as long as it was permament. I wouldn't even have a problem with a slightly higher fee in order for it to be permement.

As it is, I don't think anyone can disagree with any honesty, the game simply does not have the depth to warrent a monthly fee. Its designed as, and plays like, a time killer. You'd find it hard to convince me that theres enough content to justify me playing $12+ a month(as there are multple customization slots we still don't use) on something that I very well may only touch a few nights a month when I find myself bored. And ontop of that, this stuff seems to only apply to a single character so fees may double accordingly.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:37PM Beau Hindman said

Discord: That's why those optional items are, indeed, optional -- like any of their cash shop items.

Beau

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 4:26PM DiscordSK said

Beau: And thats why I said, at the very beginning, this seemed like a boneheaded way to try and make money. If even I, who tends to buy alot of pointless stuff, has zero interest in paying what ammounts to a monthly fee on fluff.

I've picked up extra content in every mmo I played thats offered it.

I've bought all the expansion packs and even gear packs in both DA and ME2.

I've bought games on whim, that I've played for maybe an hour or two.

But somehow Vindictus's cash shop just seems like a bad enough idea that I won't rent anything from it. Maybe now you get my point?

Posted: Oct 23rd 2010 7:01PM DiscordSK said

For me personally, and I get that it may not be the same for most people, the biggest problem is this whole item "rental" thing from the cash shop. The prices don't match up in the least with what you are getting. 7-8 dollars to rent a hairstyle/piece of clothing for a month quickly brings the game up to a subscription based game.. which is does not have the content to be called. Maybe this kind of nickle and dime thing works in asian markets.. but as a western player it really rubs me the wrong way.

Now I understand that I don't have to pay anything to play the game, that things like that are an option but it seems to me that they would make more money overall if they chose to actually sell these items instead of renting them. I just find it hard to justify investing money into something that will vanish 30 days down the road, especially at the prices they are listed for. These are macro transaction fees placed on micro transaction items. At least the $25 dollar sparkle pony from wow lasts forever on your account and includes every character you have made and will make. These vindictus fees can quickly run in excess of that and have to be repeatedly monthly.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 2:47AM octoberasian said

That's the same exact problem I've had with Mabinogi and Dungeon Fighter Online, both of which I've stopped playing. Now, I've enjoyed Mabinogi since closed beta, even have the bonus item from it.

However, the cash shop is terrible. Every damn item expires in 30 days. Storage, pets, extra character models and hairstyles.

I've spent more money in Mabinogi than FFXI.

Nexon's cash system makes absolutely no fucking sense, nor their business model. If I buy something from the cash shop, I expect it to be permanent.

Now, Nexon, makes some decent and fun games but this nickle-and-diming players each month they may as well make a subscription game with all these extras they offer in the cash shop.

I'd rather see two payment methods-- monthly subscription or cash shop, and make the items permanent for goodness sakes.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2010 9:43PM nhat said

Luckily this is more of a player skill based game than stats. I was able to solo the polar bear at level 25.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 3:07AM spamero said

man I hate those damn events in mmos so much.. cause it makes perfect sense..... dragons and pumpkins... -.-

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 3:08AM spamero said

Just read the comments about the CS ... man it sounds like gpotato and allods all over again -.-

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 4:29AM (Unverified) said

There not really zombies, they are in fact European players who can't play the game wanting to have a go

Posted: Oct 26th 2010 4:25AM Revrant said

After MapleStory I'll just never support Nexon, I was with that game from the start and expected a lot from it, to this day it is a broken piece of scrap ruled by the Cash Shop.

They want to keep replicating that(since it's obviously incredibly profitable), cool, but count me out.

Posted: Oct 30th 2010 2:00PM hav won said

Beau,

You can only access the first boat's missions without a coin penalty - so no you cant access any level you've previously been to unless they changed it in OB.

Additionally, 30 coins can be spent in roughly 1.5-2 hours meaning you're paying +5 a hour to play a game. I've looked at the math a number of times and this game's subscription model for dungeon running non-low tier content is still one of the most obscenely priced things I've ever seen.