Posted: Oct 24th 2010 2:41PM Valdamar said

The announcement of a new MMOFPS has to be a good thing considering that there are so few of them (that are any good). As far as MMOFPSs go I'm still more excited about Planetside Next, as I loved Planetside back when it was popular with busy servers, but a Tribes MMO could be a good thing if Planetside next doesn't pan out (with SOE games you have to prepare yourself for disappointment/letdown :p ).

Lets hope it has no economy and no subscription fee, so that it gets lots of serious FPS fans and a health population.

Also lets hope they actually have large battles in it - I'm not really tempted by 6v6 PvP battles or whatever small size they are in GA - I don't need an MMO for that as I'll be getting my skirmish fix from games like Brink and Battlefield 3 next year - no, what we need from an MMOFPS is the 400 player battles of Planetside - a full scale war with combined arms (i.e. land, sea and air - lots of vehicles of all types!) that rages for years, with battles for continents/bases that can take days to resolve. If the Tribes MMO can give us something like that then I'll certainly take a look.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 5:46PM Valkenr said

I have no faith in this game, because i have no faith in this company. They pay a lot of lip service to the community, but rarely come through. The only thing that came out that they promised was the Sandstorm "Free" Expansion, (is it actually complete?). I left and stopped following the game when they started moving into the WoW-hybrid category, by adding in drop-able loot, and weapons only high levels can get(sandstorm phase 1).

This was the kicker for me:
"Alpha testing will begin at the start of the year (about 3 months from now) and Global Agenda players with level 50 characters will have priority in entering Alpha and Beta testing"

Aka: come back to GA so you can beta test our next failure. maybe 1% of the beta/alpah testers are still there, they should really be bringing in outside testers, so they don't end up making a better version of GA, and then running that into the ground.

You have to be stupid not to realise that HiRez studios has no money. Every thing they did in global agenda suggested it. They took a community poll for the payment method(Mistake # 5), the poll came out that people wanted a Guild Wars like payment(by the expansion) model, not micro-transactions or subscriptions. Then (Mistake #24) they added in micro-transactions for 4 week periods(aka subscriptions) that gave you a distinct equipment advantage over others, (aka, a big middle finger to the community that voted before)

HiRez
Mistake 1: Released a Game a year early
Mistake 2: Released 10% of what they told us
Achievement 1: perfectly balanced the game
Mistake 3: Threw it's previous ideas in the garbage
Mistake 4: Asked for the communities advice
Mistake 5: Let the community descide on the payment method
Mistake 6: Went to a paid expansion payment model
Mistake 7: Announced new maps, with a release date
Mistake 8: Missed the release date by a month
Mistake 9: Thought it was smart to announce release dates before you start working on something
Mistake 10: Took a community poll on what they wanted in the game
Mistake 11: Included everything they left out of launch in the poll
Mistake 12: Revamped Crafting(again...)
Mistake 13: Ran out of money(because there was no subscription)
Mistake 14: Started a series of weekend "sales"
Mistake 15: Announced the "Sandstorm" expansion
Mistake 16: Set an end-of-march release date for "Sandstorm"
Mistake 17: Couldn't meet the release date
Mistake 18: Split up sandstorm into "phases"
Mistake 19: Revamped equipment(phase 1)
Mistake 20: Unbalanced the game by giving higher levels more power
Mistake 21: Deleted players inventory, and gave them barely any reward
Mistake 22: Deleted players equipment and gave them less powerful equipment
Mistake 23: Added a out of game "Store" for real $$(aka. middle finger to community)
Mistake 24: Added subscription length micro-transactions(aka. another middle finger to the community)
Mistake 25: Still waiting on sandstorm
Mistake 26: Still waiting on 60v60 AvA matches

By then i was gone and stopped following the game, since it had gotten to the point of no return, and turned into just another online shooter game. So i have no further input.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:37PM MrGutts said

You forgot to mention how G.A. also started poaching APB people before the game was dead in the water.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:47PM Fakeassname said

don't forget that after that they put every game mode people liked to play on a timer so that you couldn't focus on the parts of the game that actually were fun, and then after that screwed with the boss AI and spawn rates so that everything turned into a complete clusterf*** that could only completed if everyone had the "perfect" build for their class.

oh yeah, and added in Achievements that promoted objective whoring instead of competitiveness and team play.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:55PM Fakeassname said

whoops! forgot one more ...

they only have one server and it's in Georgia. so everyone who isn't next door to them has got virtually unplayable ping rates (200-300 for most players on either coast, and even worse numbers for players from the pacific rim and Europe.)

instead of actually opening servers in those geographic locations they created virtual sub servers for each region, fracturing the player base but doing nothing to solve the latency issues, with the declared intention that this would fix things to be more "fair" if players with the same ping played against each other.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 10:56AM Slayer said

So in short, people want a subscription free game with no micro-transactions. So how can a company make money to keep the servers up? The initial $50 is not going to cut it.

I know people are going to cry Guild Wars, but I guarantee those servers till be taken down a year or two after Guild Wars 2 comes out. I'd rather pay money and have the servers open forever like Ultima Online, EverQuest, Anarchy Online, World of Warcraft, and so on.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 8:21PM (Unverified) said

Most of those "mistakes" were either mass requested by the community, or
never actually planned in the first place

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 10:00PM Valkenr said

Yeah, but 90% of the community was stupid. They took polls, of course the community won't want to pay. But 70% of the people who voted for a non sub, would have paid one. and 20% would have stuck with the free aspects of the game. If they had stuck to a subscription model and released Sandstorm without all the equipment changes and just put in more balanced equipment. Me and about 30 other people i knew would still be playing that game.

You can't base your game off your community, chances are 50% of them are from WoW and will want the game to be like WoW, then they all go back to WoW, because they really just wanted to play WoW. Then you lose your community, because there aren't enough people to fill up the queue's quick enough.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 8:43PM (Unverified) said

Section 8 was an abysmal failure for a number of reasons, GFWL being one of the many. Auto lock (aimbot) being another huge, huge mistake.. such a console move by the devs (who admitted to being console gamers.. and not PC gamers).. uninspired bases that were totally useless, weak and useless deployables, making the sensor blocker pretty much an option that was standard another fail, too many side missions kicking off and splitting up the action of 24 total players to up to 6 areas on the map, every weapon did good damage to every person/deployable, no good indoor areas or focused action spots, horrid private server support where the only way the first server got stood up was by a backdoor handshake between some friends and a developer.. totally not legit. Oh, and not implementing the beta changes in the final release..

Couple all that with the S8 devs listening to a handful of the dumbest gamers I have ever had the displeasure of discussing a game with.. and not listening to us smarter gamers.. = a failure.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 8:50PM (Unverified) said

I suppose I should talk about Tribes.. hah.
The FPS gaming world does not have a smarter, yet fast game out there right now as devs are afraid to make a shooter that requires some thought and a smarter playstyle. This niche is ripe for the taking, and some dev needs to step up and take this piece of the pie. Do I think these guys can pull it off? Hell no..but it's a potential step in the right direction.

There's always Firefall.. which is being made my Mr. Youngblood himself.. it's not due for a while yet, but he has the right pedigree to pull it off. I just hope that dev team doesn't listen one bit to any of the ridiculous ideas the nitwit console morons and rather game-stupid kids keep posting on that site. The suggestions there are so terrible they are funny.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 12:38AM drakino said

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just slightly excited about the news. I really how Hi-Rez understands what made Tribes and Tribes 2 special. The developers behind Tribes Vengeance certainly didn't, and it resulted in a poor game. I remember talking to one of the TV developers at E3, and they thought the number of players on a map, and large maps were a major problem with the previous Tribes games. They completely missed the point that Tribes was more then just Quake with jetpacks, it was about that big map feel, and large team size that led to very strategic and engaging games.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 3:47AM claytondora said

Mega win. Tribes kicked much ass. Hopefully it will again, in an even more massively awesome format.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 9:41AM Pingles said

I want to pilot a ship of Heavies over the enemy base and then crash the ship into their defenses after the Heavies have dropped off.

I've been wanting to do that for years.

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 11:11AM (Unverified) said

I really hope they stick to what made Tribes fun.

I was hoping GA would be the next Tribes. It came sorta close but not close enough for me to stick with it.

Give me a jetpack, skiing and a disc launcher and I'm happy. :)

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 12:24PM spamero said

Hell YEAH!

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 12:26PM spamero said

But I want it to be like Tribes 2, sorry never played v1, so don't know that.
I know that v3 sucked big time.

I want classes, jet packs, skiing, and vehicles.
And also the maps .. actually I want everything like it was -.-

eh.. one can dream on...

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 12:27PM spamero said

And I'd be happy to pay monthly fee for it.. just make it good

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 3:57PM (Unverified) said

Let it be known, evidence of a new Tribes game is proof positive that there is a God.

I played both the original Tribes and Tribes 2 quite religiously, they were both fantastic. There was nothing like two battling skiiers throwing discs and chaingun bullets at each other with reckless abandon. It took a LOT of skill to use the disc launcher effectively, but boy was it ever rewarding.

Here's to hoping they do it justice. I haven't played GA so I don't know much about their past history, but if they can do it right, they have a guaranteed customer right here.

Posted: Oct 26th 2010 5:48AM ShivanSwordsman said

I'm not holding my breath on this one. I'd love to see a new tribes, but Global Agenda was touted as the "New Tribes". I firmly believe an MMO version of Tribes will in fact be failure due to this. Global Agenda itself is a decent game, I play it from time to time, but this has me worried that they're going to junk up my favored franchise.

If these people really wanted to do the game a great service, they should boot up a Master Server for Tribes 1, and get the word out that Tribes is back. I wanna play me so freakin' Renegades, and we all know Tribes was great BECAUSE of the mods. MMOs will not have mods, except for UI changes.

At first I was kinda excited... but then I remembered that every game that comes out based upon a good franchise usually can't live up to it. Whilst this sounds like a neat idea, it's going to lack everything that made Tribes great: Voice packs, custom skins, mods. It'll be a repackaged Global Agenda. They may as well just run this as an expansion pack for Global Agenda instead. Alternate dimensions and warpholes and all that fun stuff.

If they do this, I hope they remember the goldejn rule of a good Tribes game: Small maps. For the love of God, those massive maps of Tribes 2 were terrible. Tribes 1. Broadside. Make it happen. Now.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014