Posted: Oct 24th 2010 6:11AM SkuzBukit said

From my reading they are going to rebuild the Unreal server code & heavily modify the client to support an open-world PvP focused game, something they felt would not be possible to do with the GA engine.

I hope they do a good job, they've turned GA into quite a solid title despite a few hiccups & big changes along the way & they are, I think, quite well positioned to do a good game with the Tribes franchise.

Best of luck to 'em I say.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 6:13AM Miffy said

• 1 heart
How can any of you be excited? It's being made by the company that made the very lackluster GA....

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:03AM alucard3000 said

Who needs Tribes when you have Section 8 prejudice coming
and Section 8 to tide you over

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 6:36PM Sabbatai said

Yeah... I bought Section 8 on day one. The beta was awesome and tons of people were playing. Then after launch..1 server had people on it. At first the developers said it was just a broken server browser or players having filters set that made it difficult to find servers. Despite this simply being untrue I kept trying. I wrote a handwritten letter to the developers and was told there were multiple full or nearly full servers and that the problem was that I needed to do some port forwarding. They essentially wanted me to open every single port there is.

So I did...

Still -1- server with 8 people on it.

The forums made it clear I was not the only one suffering from lack of servers in my browser.

Then the developers, instead of addressing this sent out emails and spent time and money to market the new DLC for a game NO ONE was playing. After a few weeks this game went the way of the new AvP game... in that people just stopped trying.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:38PM Fakeassname said

ehh, section 8 is still a fun game (despite the "unreal" shot lag that every game based off this engine has got, GA included) and the only real problem is that GFWL is the WORST DRM/game manager out there.

what I sense is that people really, really want to play section 8 ... but can't because of GFWL being too intrusive and clunkey. I'm really disappointed in hearing that Prejudice will continue the trend of "great game + crap host".

I still get on section 8 from time to time and have a blast even though there is usually only one server with people in it, filling the empty slots with bots makes things playable ... not exactly intense, but it's enough to make things fun for a few hours.

every single GFWL game that I have seen has got this issue, it's not really the games fault ... it's just that no one likes to use GFWL.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:09AM BubleFett said

The reason I bought GA was because it reminded me of Tribes with a more modern futuristic feel.
I'm hoping that they redesign the vehicles and the UI because the ground vehicles in Tribes were kind of clunky to handle.

I'm trusting that HiRez will make Tribes come alive again.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:33AM swarmofcats said

Nice notes on the GA forums from HiRez regarding the new Tribes. These sound like great ideas for a game about faction based pvp... (Especially to someone like me who was disapponted with WAR's gameplay after the first month.)

* Three Tribes (factions)
* Full clan (agency) support
* First person view (third person for some vehicles)
* Full vehicle support (ground and air)
* Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
* PvP focused
* Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
* Large scale fights (100+ players)
* Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons, etc

Also, woot! "Alpha testing will begin at the start of the year (about 3 months from now) and Global Agenda players with level 50 characters will have priority in entering Alpha and Beta testing"

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:44AM alucard3000 said

Wow so you have to have a lvl 50 character for priority in entering beta's?I wonder if that is to try to increase the sales of their booster packs.I bought the game on the day it released but dont have a lvl 50 character because I couldnt really get into the gameplay(I didnt/dont like how the jetpack/guns ammo/offhand is all tied to that blue bar and that you couldnt shoot while you were using jetpack) so I never made it to lvl cap.IMHO tho those that bought it from the start should be getting in on that priority list as well regardless of their chars lvl.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:57AM swarmofcats said

You can shoot while flying now. They put a new jetpack into the game that allows you to fly with the spacebar while shooting with the mouse buttons. And I have to say, there's nothing like being in mid-flight and shooting someone else who is in mid-flight out of the sky. Absolutely incredible. =)

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 8:48AM alucard3000 said

hmmm that sounds like it would be cool,is the jetpack and gun ammo still tied to the same blue bar otherwise it only would seem to further shorten an already short flight time.I highley doubt though you would have the time in midflight to shoot someone out of the air who was in flight also without them already having prior damage.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 2:45PM Fakeassname said

no, you nailed it! lvl 50 priority is 20% appealing to GA fan loyalty / 80% gimmick to make people feel like they NEED to be level 50 so they buy the boosters.

yes, you can get a jetpack that lets you fire and fly, but you DON'T get it until about level 40 and yes your guns and jetpack share the same power pool, so no there are not a lot of mid air fire fights.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 6:42PM swarmofcats said

@fakeassname

Why carry on about things you know nothing about? You can get a hands free jetpack at level 5.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 8:01PM Fakeassname said

he's talking about the combat jetpack, jackass. ya know, the one that you can actually use AND fire at the same time?

hands free is just a re-coding of the basic jetpack so that you can fire it off with the space bar instead of having to switch hotkeys, something that the community fixed for them and Hi-Rez turned into a in game item.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 11:49PM swarmofcats said

If you're bored of wow clones and like shooters, give it a try. Most fun I've had in any game of 2010 and keeps getting better. See you in game!

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 9:13AM swarmofcats said

Yeah they are always tied to the same power. Once you're at a high enough level, though, you can spare a few skill points to put into the balanced tree for -30% jetpack cost, increased power pool and increased power regeneration. You'd be surprised how long you can fly around and shoot with these 3 skills.

As for air to air combat... It's a really popular way to chase people down who are trying to flee, and yeah you're not going to go superman hovering round and round the point gunning down assaults or anything. But the fact that it doesn't happen every game and is kind of a "holy crap, that just happened" random occurence that makes it feel so good when it does. =)

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 9:23AM Scuffles said

Not only was and arguably is the best FPS of all time, Sorry Halo but you never did anything that tribes hadn't done years before you save branding it Halo, not that you weren't a decent game.

But it also ties in to the whole Siege universe which touches into Starsiege. While Tribes was more of an online multiplayer game and nothing more with a bit of reference for color. Starsiege had some serious and shamelessly awesome backplot.

So I'm going to cross my fingers and hope and pray that when they say Tribes MMO what they really mean is an MMO set in the Siege universe. Ultimately the resurrection of Promethius and the Cybrid onslaught. With some additional info on and about the intentions of the Derm.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 8:06PM Fakeassname said

lol, it's cool that someone actually remembers that Tribes is a spin off.

Star siege has to be the coolest knock off series ever! lots of other knock offs manage to out do their source material (in this case it's battletech) but few managed to really do it like star siege.

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 11:26AM Pingles said

Really pleased by the volume of replies for a franchise that I was always under the impression was under appreciated.

In other words Tribes is saying "You like me! You really like me!"

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 12:15PM archer75 said

Happiest day of my life!

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 1:23PM (Unverified) said

I absolutely loved tribes, but I hope Hi-Rez can make it come true!

I was under the impression that they were kind of low on money seeing the frantic advertising for GA promotions...

But all the luck to them!

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014