Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 4:11PM Mr Angry said

I think the Haunted Burrow is OK, having 50 people run around you while you explore isn't very creepy however, and has been overlooked in the write up. A solo or group instance would be far better for immersion!

As for the cloaked figure, he does do something, but people are keeping it a secret so the reward remains exclusive!

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 4:43PM Sonoran said

I thought the Haunted Burrow was outstanding. Having a lot of people in there didn't bother me, it reminded me of "haunted houses" and halloween parties when I was a kid. People everywhere, spooky, slightly goofy scare effects etc.

The Burrows captured a fun halloween party perfectly, and that really works with Lotro.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 6:00PM madcartoonist said

I have been pretty much ignoring all the festivals as they aren't really my thing. I took a look at the haunted burrow this year because now my sister is playing. I have to say that I really enjoyed the time we had running through it. Its not the biggest thing in the world, but the different quests you pick up for it change what your looking for. The timed ones make you have to really get to know a path to take. At first it was a little odd with tons of people running around but I think it just added to the chaotic feeling of trying to get around. Since everyone was working on something different you couldn't just follow them around. I hope to see more like this in the future.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2010 4:50AM TOYBOXX said

Being a first time member of LotRO, the Fall Festival was THE one event I've been anticipating for a few months now. And it's well worth the wait! However, oddly enough, I never expected a haunted house, or anything for that matter, to be this extraordinary.

As was mentioned, the Haunted Burrows isn't exactly scary. It brings out the ambiance of the inner child of yestur-year and nothing more. The "scares" are goofy, at best, while adding life to the active spaces with some Hobbit pranks.

Even though it's fun the first time through, the most frustrating part of the Haunted Burrows were the timed quests themselves. With everyone running through the place all at once, it made traversing through the Burrows a bit difficult. Reason being: If your trying to click on a specific item that'll advance you further into the quest, or to finish the quest itself, you've got 3 other people doing the same thing which prevents you from doing what you need to do.

Another bit of frustration come in the form of both the paralyzing spiders and the molesting spirits. It's nice to see the first few times, but I'm on a time limit. I don't need to be held up for 10-20 seconds for this to happen. It's bad enough the place is a maze!

Despite it's frustrations, overall, it's a nice temporary change from the ordinary MMO grind. I'm sure by next year's festival we'll see improvements on an already decent Haunted House adventure for us to further enjoy.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2010 5:42AM DiscoJer said

• 1 heart
It's a neat place for about half an hour.

But once it's over, it's back to the same old game where there is a huge content gap from 30 to 45th level and nothing new has been added for high level players in a year save one map

Indeed, the rest of the festival is just a rehash of past events. Same old rewards as well. I guess the tricks and new and pretty fun, but...

And to the people saying it's too crowded, well, try again now. After a couple of nights, the crowd has thinned out. Not quite deserted, but pretty close. (Just like the new F2P crowd, most of them seem to be gone as well, off to greener pastures).

Posted: Oct 24th 2010 7:37AM Haldurson said

I think the Halloween festival is lots of fun. The haunted burrow is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SCARY! It's supposed to be fun. Remember that traditionally, hobbits of the shire tend to lead innocent, almost child-like sheltered lives, so the haunted burrow is a hobbit's view of a good fun scare.

JeremR: I've never noticed a huge content gap between 30 and 45. If you skip all the group content, and don't do any skirmishes, you probably will hit a small one when Angmar is a bit too hard (maybe around level 38ish) and you've run out of solo quests.

With only doing occasional skirmishes, even a devout soloist should never ever run out of quests (in fact, I normally delete a lot of them as they green or grey out).

Posted: Oct 25th 2010 3:07AM (Unverified) said

--Justin Olivetti, the author of this piece, said, "What I really want to know is what is up with the "Cloaked Figure" that sits on a chair in the middle of this wing. No quest that I know of leads you to him, and the most I've discovered from research is that he might be the fake "Black Rider" that features in one of the Budgeford quests. If you know more, please enlighten us all in the comments."

I was wondering the same thing for the first couple of days of the festival and YES (like Mr Angry said in the first comment), for some odd reason, the people that know what quest the mysterious Cloaked Figure is involved in ARE keeping it secret and some are even asking for game gold for the answer. Well save your money, I found the answer...
The quest that leads you to the figure inside the haunted house is started outside of the Haunted House by Rathgeir, an Ale Association Member.
Here are the details I found...
First of all, you have to do the Haunted Burrow quest to be allowed access to the Haunted House. Once you have access, you go talk to the npc Rathgeir of the Ale Association (NOT the Inn League) and he will offer the quest called A Game of Hobbit-harrying. Once you have the quest, you are to go in and scare the 6 hobbits that are inside the Haunted House (same hobbits used for The Great Hobbit Rescue). Near the hobbit will be a bag/bucket/jar that you activate to scare the hobbit. Once you have scared them all, return to Rathgeir to collect your reward.
--Reward: +900 Ale Association Faction, –500 Inn League Faction, 1 Badge of Dishonor

I hope this information helps. Enjoy your festival! :)

Posted: Oct 27th 2010 8:28PM JoeH42 said

Hey what server is massively on in LoTRO? I've decided to give it a shot now that it's F2P and I'd like to be on the server with y'all and perhaps in the clan or fellowship or whatever it's called.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014