Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 3:08PM Stuxatte said

Wow!

One the one hand, I really like the style of the city and the scope of the naval arena. I hope there's nautical exploration in addition to the big battles.

On the other hand... I foresee EVE-style tactics of bumping your opponent's ship so that it can't maneuver while your gank-squad buddies nail him from afar. I think you might even see that in the video. Authentic naval tactics, or exploitation of the physics engine?

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 3:10PM Thrishmal said

With an engine like that, I would expect real time damage and much better graphics. Granted, this is an early take on what they would like to have (I hope, at least), but I would expect a bit more even at an early stage of showcasing like this.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 4:12PM (Unverified) said

Player ships weren't done notably in Pirates of the Burning Sea? :P

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 4:18PM Jef Reahard said

Not in my opinion, no. A one-player ship isn't much of a player ship. VG and Darkfall at least let you walk around on your vessel and bring others aboard, though the way the ships behaved in the water didn't look as good as this ArcheAge footage.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 7:58PM alucard3000 said

Could you imagine how boring that would be though?For ex your the player firing the cannon(and being realistic to those cannons there really is no aiming them but the ship itself) so basically you are there just to light the fuses and hope maybe for a chance to board the enemy.And also if it was a req to have other players to man the ship I think it would limit the amount it would be happening considering that the game isnt just naval warfare.You mentioned DF as an example of realism but from what I hear there are not many naval battles there.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 7:58PM Wensbane said

PeterD, just be honest and admit that you simply forgot about PotBS.

Because sure, the game had its flaws, but to go as far as to say (repeat even) that it didn't notably feature player-owned ships is ludicrous. At best! And it forces me to question Massively's usual professionalism and... accuracy.

I mean, heck, most of that game was centered *exactly* on your contribution to your chosen nation's war effort. Using your very own... warship. *gasp*
Everything from contention to Port Battles - perhaps the single most important feature of the game - usually started *and* ended onboard your ship.

If that's not "doing ships", I really don't know what is!

As for ArchAge... I believe it still needs a *lot* of work. I mean, the ships presented looked like what? Sixth-rates? Slightly over-sized sloops-of-war maybe? And yet they handled nothing like a small frigate would.

Not only that, but those "broadsides" are a mess!
What's with the accuracy/fire trajectory? I think I saw them miss a grand total of TWO shots in that final battle. And the time it took for their round shot to fly all the way to enemy ships... I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

I'm still excited, though. Because, to me, any MMO that features some form of naval combat is at least worth an honest try.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 8:01PM Wensbane said

PS: I obviously meant: "Jef Reahard, when you replied to PeterD..."

But since there's no edit button... oh well...

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 8:17PM Jef Reahard said

No, I didn't forget about PotBS, particularly since I played it as recently as two weeks ago. They did the same thing that EVE does, which to me is not "notable."

Key word there.

Darkfall's ships and Vanguard's ships felt like actual spaces in the game world. I'm not saying PotBS isn't a well-made and/or fun game, I think it it is. But not being able to explore your own ship is lame, and clearly ArcheAge is a different beast in that regard. Question my professionalism and accuracy all you want, but I said what I meant. Twice.

Thanks.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 9:49PM alucard3000 said

Could you imagine having to find a crew in potbs everytime you wanted to sail from Bartica to Port Royal or Antigua or anywhere for that matter.The time it takes just to sail a distance is long enough no need to add to that time by throwing in the needing a group too.
What exactly do you feel you are missing out on by not being able to "explore" your own ship?How good a job your crew did scrubbing the bow or the decks?

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 10:05PM Jef Reahard said

It's merely personal preference. Yes I would have preferred crew options in PotBS (and STO for that matter) because I have friends that play with me so finding a group isn't an issue -- and it's more fun.

I also like to roleplay rather than kill x/deliver y 56,000 times. I understand that PotBS was built for grinders and soloers, welcome to MMOs these days, and I actually liked it anyway.

Tbh, this is all immaterial to the discussion at hand, which was ArcheAge. The poster above attempted to put words in my mouth and I corrected him. Bowing out now.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 10:55PM alucard3000 said

Sorry didnt mean to derail the topic.Nice video ty for posting it.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 4:28PM Liltawen said

Stills of the buildings look very interesting.This is the first time I've heard about sea battles.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 6:08PM Radd said

I would buy and pay to play this game without thinking twice...based on the other videos, they are making a very nice mix between sandbox and themepark.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny