Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:05AM Irem said

I completed the "Insane in the Membrane" achievement in World of Warcraft, which was a lot of fun and is probably the "biggest" thing I've accomplished. But the "greatest" thing I've accomplished is finishing the Chains of Promathia questline for access to Sea in Final Fantasy XI. My static group did it before it was nerfed even slightly, and after we one-shotted the initial Promyvion bosses we made it our goal to one-shot every fight, and we succeeded. I sobbed all through the ending cutscene; even though it was frustrating at times, I really felt as though I'd been part of a talented (if eccentric) group of unlikely heroes facing improbable odds and coming out on top. If another MMO experience ever comes close to that for me, I'll be happy.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:09AM Ragemore said

Not from an MMO but, "Rode Hard, Put Away Wet" from L4D2 comes to mind, or "Man vs. Tank" from L4D1.

But MMO, would have to be completing several of the Trials of Atlantis raids in DAOC, back when raiding was all uphill, through the snow and hard.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:18AM Nepentheia said

Well, way way 'back in the day', getting the Coldain Shawl quest done in Everquest was pretty spiffy--definitely a 'personal best' when it came to doing all the things required to finish each step of the quest itself.

A lot of folks in the past have mentioned that shawl quest, the Ring quest and the obtaining their epics as satisfying achievements in Everquest. (Then again, back in the day, nearly everything was a big ordeal to accomplish in Everquest--so there was, more often than not, a real sense of accomplishment from doing something in that game. ;-) )

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:38AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
There is nothing to be "proud" of whilst gaming. Yeah, you can be happy you did something, but, proud? No... if you are proud of anything you have done in a GAME you are pathetic. There is nothing to be learned from playing games besides some hand eye coordination. One can not improve themselves by playing games either. Get out of your fantasy land and come back to real life. I like to "play" games, but, I treat them accordingly... as game.... as in NOT REAL or Relevant to REAL LIFE

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:49AM Pingles said

Repeating the same comment doesn't make it any smarter. If someone puts effort into anything they have the right to be proud of it.

Now stop web browsing and get back to curing cancer.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:56AM remeran said

Football is a game. Baseball is game. and for that matter chess is a game as well. What can be gained in a game of football? exercise the muscles right? What can be gained from a game of chess? exercise of the mind, right? Same thing with other games whether it be video or not. Are you saying that chess players shouldn't be proud of beating a difficult opponent? It's not relevant to real life, so what? Football isn't relevant to real life either unless you include it in entertainment. Same goes with games, not relevant to real life except for entertainment.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:47AM Unverfied B said

Get out of this page on a gaming site and go back to real life.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 12:34PM Irem said

You appear to be hearing "in-game achievements" and running with it right out of the ring to "unhealthy escapism and dissociation with reality." Considering that most MMOs are built around giving people a sense of pride in their in-game accomplishments, I'm thinking that this probably isn't the genre for you.

Out of curiosity, which is more pathetic: spending time and effort and feeling a sense of accomplishment, however large or small, or spending that time and effort and feeling nothing, because "it's just a game"?

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:50AM Pingles said

Getting the Diver Helmet plans on my WoW engineer. For some reason itbwas very important to me. Was very satisfied.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:58AM Birk said

Ah, after countless grinds of Heroic Magister's Terrace, I finally won the phoenix hatchling, only to quit the next day.

-Birk

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:13AM Bri said

Full template Jedi, pre-CU, when it was rare and cool and powerful. When people came running because they heard that signature hiss and hum of a saber being ignited. When a Jedi could take down 5 Master Bounty Hunters before the first one hit the ground.

Ah, nostalgia...

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:17AM (Unverified) said

I don't really remember, WoW was the only MMO in which I sometimes paid attention to those achievements...

I had 100000 honorable kills and the battlemaster title on my Mage though, as well as the Marshal title pre-BC...

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 11:40AM Wisdomandlore said

Probably getting my first set of Class Specific gear in FFXI. Considering it takes multiple groups, camping areas dangerous to even level 75 players, and at least one quest took a full raid at the time, it was momentous achievement. All in all it took me at least two months to get all the pieces.

In LOTRO, finish Volume 1 at level 50 (right after Moria came out) was very satisfying. A great wrap up to the SOA story and some awesome rewards.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:31AM remeran said

Finally pre-ordering a collector's edition of WoW (cata). Started playing like a month before BC so no vanilla, wasn't into WoW that much while BC's collector's was available, and I just missed Wrath's. Finally I can be the jerk with his collector's edition pet AFK in a major city. Hehe ^^

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:33AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Maybe I should have been more specific since you want to grasp at straws here....
Put the word video in front of the word game. This being a video game blog I figured you would assume I was talking about VIDEO GAMES...

A game of football,baseball or whatever is a far cry from a video game equivalent. You can't compare VIDEO GAMES to real life activities. A football player.... playing football IS relevant to real life.... because.... wait for it..... that player is really playing football... not a video game.

Simulating something is not the same as doing it. Being proud of a video game achievement in real life is sad. You can be happy about it, but, in the long run, if achieving something in a silly video game make you proud in real life, you need to take a step back and reconsider some things.

Go ahead and flame me. At least I have some prospective. This right here is the dumbing down of our society. When people are so personally vested in these fantasy lands they lose touch with life in general.

Are you really going to tell your grandchildren about the time you got the uber ring of doom in this video game once? If so.... don't breed.... ever...

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:45AM ScottishViking said

*gets out the Troll-feeding shovel*

You're seriously posting this on an MMO blog?

Maybe you also think playing D&D is Satanic?

You left your 1982 in the Pinto, man.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:49AM remeran said

Oh please, Let me be general. When a person is playing football.....wait for it....he's really playing the game. When he plays an mmo...wait for it.....he's really playing that video game. yes in real life he's playing that video game. Neither are relevant to the real world unless you're a football player as your career or a video game player as your career. Personally vesting yourself in football if you're not getting payed for it or don't plan to is the same as personally vesting yourself in a video game. It accomplishes nothing except for entertainment.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:27PM Ocho said

Listen... you're a jerk, we get that. You don't agree with the post, so you decide to get your rocks off by being an arrogant prick.

But yes, they are video games, but that does not mean that somebody hasn't put time and effort into a goal and followed through with it. If you put time and effort into ANYTHING to finally achieve a long-term goal that you have been striving for, then you deserve to be proud of your accomplishment.

Don't belittle others peoples goals just because you don't agree with them... thats not being a decent human being.

Here are a few 'achievements' for you that have nothing to do with video games, that I doubt you've done yet: Start taking those pills you've been prescribed, start attending those anger management classes, learn to get along with the opposite sex instead of berating/beating them, find satisfaction in other aspects of your life (job, family, friends) where you don't need to mock others to make you feel better about yourself.

And oh, I would want people who believe in reaching for and striving goals to breed over those who find amusement in being a troll and flaming others over an unwanted opinion.

So, yeah... don't breed... ever.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:48AM Carolina said

Finishing a raid instance with my guild mates for the first time is always an achievement! But I don't bother to collect achievements other then the ones that give an instant reward, like mounts and pets.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 10:49AM nc drake pilot said

Finding a pvp role for my warrior in DAOC.

It was shield bubbling my guildie Runecaster.

A caster with a personal bodyguard who could slam (9 second stun anyone?) anyone who got close was a great combo.

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM