Posted: Oct 19th 2010 6:44PM Bewoulf said

I always hear comments about how Video game companies are soooo evil selling those violent games to kids. Maybe if parents took interest into what their kids were playing, we won't have these problems. They blame the companies... ooooh *Wail* the evil companies! Give me a break.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 9:25PM ChromeBallz said

My parents mostly stayed hands-off... They simply didn't understand it untill much much later, when they finally laid the connection between games and movies, as in, games aren't "just kid's toys" anymore.

The fact that i've never had a console untill i started living on my own might have helped though. I've been a PC gamer untill i moved out to study, and i guess PC games inherently give a very different impression than console games, especially in the early and mid 90's.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 9:36PM Its Utakata stupid said

Um...out of curiosity...that isn't you pictured above, Lisa?

...might want to put the baby down first. :)

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 11:03PM lisapoisso said

Nope, flickr shot (click the image)! Mine are much older these days. ;)

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 9:05AM shipwreck said

I love this! One thing I adore about my LotRO kin is that we're very family-oriented; I play with my wife (as does another couple), several parents play with their teenage kids, we even have a 'grandpa' of the kin! He's in his 60s and still gaming hard.

I do not have kids yet but since I got my wife involved in LotRO I've thought a lot about how fun it will be to play computer games (not just MMOs) with my family. Glad to know there are resources out there for how to make it work, especially coming from a background where my parents didn't really "get it".

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 11:46AM vertex said

There is big problem about ESRB rating. Do you know how many kids that are like 5 or more years younger are playing it. And the fact is that they buy that games in local shops on their own. Wouldn't a seller look at that ESRB notice and simply won't allow them to buy that game.
Well, my mother was not very happy when I started serious gaming. I wanted to become a very known professional gaming. This was my hobby and I was good with it. But then came the problem, when I become too aggressive when playing matches versus others. Also I gaines some extra weight, when playing for 5 hours a day.
I quickly discovered that this is not my life and I was gonna do something about it. I heard about the Livestrong foundation and Lance Amrstrong, which changed my life. I wanted to be active and most importantly I wanted to enjoy the moment.
So this is what the gaming can do to you, or your kids.Be aware of it!

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 12:46PM Daemodand said

As children, our parents are the gaming gatekeepers. As adults, our spouses/SOs are the gatekeepers. ;)