Posted: Oct 19th 2010 12:05PM (Unverified) said

Bastila takes exception to your "no stronger female figure" comment.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 12:07PM Larry Everett said

You know that Bastila was supposed to be Vima Sunrider, but with the legal issues they had to change her name. True story.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 8:25PM RogueJedi86 said

No comic writers had royalties they could pull rank on. All SW works belong to Lucasfilm, no exception. They can't get royalties anytime one of their characters created for a SW work get mentioned. It's one of the downsides to working in a shared universe. Do you think George Lucas had to pay royalties to John Ostrander and Jan Duursema for the use of Aayla Secura in AotC and RotS? Or that Timothy Zahn got royalties from George Lucas for the use of the name Coruscant in all 3 prequels(and pretty much all SW stuff since he named it in the Thrawn Trilogy)? Or that 50 different SW writers got royalties for the New Jedi Order using characters and settings from dozens of books and comics and games?

Of course not, shared universe, no one gets royalties for anything. In all likelihood Sunrider's name is because of the Jeep thing.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 11:06PM RogueJedi86 said

Maybe that's why Lucasfilm is still allowed to use the Sunrider name inside of works beyond the titles of works.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 12:38PM (Unverified) said

I was disappointed as well. Nomi is one of my favorite characters, and as someone already pointed out BioWare tried to use her daughter Vima. But because of the legal issues they got burned. Vima became Bastila... and the original Bastila became Juhani. However, the legal issues have now been resolved, why they don't continue to use the Sunrider is unclear. Maybe they feel they got burned once, they weren't going to try again. I don't know, but I concur I was kind of saddened by lack of Sunriders, especially Nomi.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 1:12PM (Unverified) said

What about the Jedi Exile? The Exile was female, and pretty much all of the current Jedi's teachings stem from her teachings since her students started the new Jedi Council after the old council was killed off. (Bioware has confirmed KOTOR 2 is canon.)

I hope there is some mention of her when the story of Revan fate is revealed since she went to find him, and the fact that HK-47 was in the trailer and HK-47 was last in service of the Exile.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 1:27PM ZenJitsu said

Boycott Jeep! ;-)

Thanks for the summary, Larry...I remember starting to read the series years ago but never got to finish it. It was an interesting tale with a very interesting lead; that's sad that it can't be a bigger part of the lore.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 1:29PM Larry Everett said

You're welcome.

I was going to make mention in the next Beacon that there is a Nomi Sunrider book coming out soon. So, more of her story will be told in the future. (Maybe it deals with SWTOR and I can report on it.)

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 5:20PM deadborder said

Nomi Sunrider is a strong, capable, inteligent female character who is a leader and a decisive force through her own abilties, rather then having to rely on a male chracter to carry her htrough - in fact, they tend to rely on her. She was also created by Kevin J. Anderson.

Wait, what?

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 11:36PM (Unverified) said

Not to dishonour either Nomi, Vima or anyone who are fans, but I've never read much about them. I had a bit of exposure to Exar Kun by reading Kevin J Anderson's trilogy, and now the Timeline entry.

But in the past, I've found the Beacons to be quite relevant to SWTOR, either directly or indirectly.

Now you may be setting this up for a much better part two, but it just seems like the reason you wanted to talk about her so strongly is a bitterness over the fact that Bastila Shan was not Vima Sunrider. I am still interested to see her role in the Exar Kun story, but even Exar Kun appears to be only a small part of SWTOR, so devoting two Beacons to her seems excessive to me. It is your column though, and I'm not about to stop reading over a single, in my opinion, misstep.

Just seems to me that the Beacon may have been better served by talking about the other media in more general terms, "If you liked Exar Kun, check out these comics" or "If you want to know the eventual fate of the Sith Empire, read the Darth Bane trilogy".