Posted: Oct 18th 2010 2:44PM CCon99 said

Figured this was a better place for this comment.

I really want to love DCUO, but the little by little info that comes out makes me fear it's just going to be another dumbed down "MMO" that will be fun for 3-6 weeks before everyone ditches it out of boredom. Everything soloable, no reason for grouping, no day/night cycles or weather effects, mindless button mashing. It's starting to sound like another Champions Online with more polish and less powers and customization.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting the same gut feeling I did with CO before it launched. =(

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 2:51PM stealthrider said

There's plenty of info out. Hell, IGN played the DCUO beta for two hours this weekend as part of Extra Life. Look for the info you want, it's out there.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 4:05PM Its Utakata stupid said

CCon99 wote inpart:

"Everything soloable, no reason for grouping..."

You may want to take a look at this:

Cao and Andersen talk a lot about raid content, PVP and group intances rewards. So you can deduce that not all DCUO will be solo'able. It sounds they want to have a balance approach between solo and group stuff similar to WoW.

Now, so you know, I share many concerns about this game too. So this is not to slag you off by any means. But least the above promotional Q&A can address your solo'ability issues for this game.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 6:04PM CCon99 said

Thanks Uta

The end game stuff sounds decent enough, but I'm still concerned that they say everything is soloable from 1-30 (their max level). Being able to solo 1-30 isn't the problem, it's usually when Dev's do this, they don't give you a reason to want to group up with others. Like in games like CO and STO, it was actually more of a pain and hindrance to group with others to do missions because they just slowed things down, then if you did them by yourself.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:05PM (Unverified) said

The best part of the raid groups is that they won't be massive.

Just 8 people (2 4man groups) is the raid size.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:09PM TheGreatMachine said

They've mentioned that the end-game is heavy. So while you have the option of soloing or otherwise to 1-30 the game hasn't ended yet for your toon. It's on of the reasons the level cap is only 30, so people don't have to work too long to join in.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:14PM TheGreatMachine said

Guild Wars is probably a good analogy (from what I've gathered at least)

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:48PM Its Utakata stupid said

I think I see what you mean, CCon99. If your referring the group dynamics in CoH for example ...it would be advantageous to group even though you can still solo it, because there are good insentives to join. Such as faster leveling and better loot. But I can't answer that for you because I'm in the dark about that mechanic as much as you are. :(

An interesting anolgy about the GW1 comparison, TheGreatMachine. If DCUO where to be rich in lore and exploration as that...it would be a truely amazing game. Though I reserve judgement until I see what they have to actually offer.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 2:52PM (Unverified) said

I liked that but I didn't see alot of magic stuff. I believe Chinatown is where magic characters are suppose to start.

It also could've been longer with more flyovers of the area.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 2:54PM (Unverified) said

Not being on the old typical time sink, grouping, grinder MMOs is exactly what makes this game look great.

An action MMO that is streamlined and simple to have fun playing is a big win for the genre.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 2:58PM Roscuro987 said

awesome video! seeing some long range powers, nice. :D

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
As others have said, if this was being sold as just a boxed game, with SOE selling expansions for new areas/features/etc, I'd snap this up in an instant. But $15 a month on top of the boxed price, and a SOE typical cash shop as well... I just don't see this game having enough in it to justify a monthly subscription.

The game looks very limited (and yes, I watched a good portion of the streaming video the other day), is an "action" button masher and that seems to be about it.

I think the delay was a very good idea. Hopefully they'll use that time to add more features to the game, more content and fix those terrible clunky animations. The world and artwork look great. I'm sure it will sell a lot of boxes, especially on the PS3, but as others have said, most will probably move on to something else a month or three down the line. Maybe that is intentional? Certainly seems to be how SOE is handling Free Realms these days.

Me, I'll wait until it is being sold at a big discount and the monthly subscription dropped, or maybe if they offer a cheap lifetime deal, like they did with FR. Otherwise, Freedom Force (and expansion) will keep me happy on the superhero front for quite awhile.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 6:24PM starka1 said

I kind of agree on the clunky animations but I thought the character with ranged attacks in this video has the smoothest I've seen so far. The animations with the staff, however, were more typical of gameplay we've seen so far. Hope they can smooth them out more before release. Particle effects are hands-down better than CO or CoH imo.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:14PM (Unverified) said

@CCon99

That's the trend of all the MMO's coming out. Pretty much every MMO is soloable these days. Hardcore games are dead or dying. Even EQ has very small death penalty, no corpse runs and on res it sends you to the nearest safe spot. Sorry dude.

As far as incentive...well, grouping gives you a rise in difficulty and I think it improves the quality of loot. I don't know if this is stats or just a better looking item. So to group just give you a bigger carrot and raid gives you a solid gold one.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:03PM (Unverified) said

"Hardcore games are dead or dying. "

Because despite a vocal minority, most gamers have opted for more casual game play. As well, the holy grail of mainstream gamers also tend to lean towards less hardcore mechanics.

Even what today is considered "casual" will be looked back at down the road as hardcore.

Casual, streamlined, quick to play MMOs are only growing in numbers and prominence.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:31PM stealthrider said

Rest assured, there will be no lack of content in DCUO, especially the endgame. The developers actually designed the endgame before the rest of the game, and put incredible thought into crafting it. Just look at the NYCC Scarecrow mission demo for proof. The Scarecrow mission is one of the first mission instances (ie, not specifically group content) and is a phased boss fight in itself. If the devs put that much effort into a lowbie mission that had been designed *after* the endgame content, just imagine the effort they put into the endgame.

Also, Chinatown is a lowbie district. The starting locale for magic characters even. Therefore, the characters shown were likely very low level with very few attacks. I think it is safe to assume the animations are far better at level 30.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:05PM (Unverified) said

The best part of the raid groups is that they won't be massive.

Just 8 people (2 4man groups) is the raid size.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 9:23PM pixelmonkey said

Man these guys make crappy in game videos - great at signing checks to Blur for CG trailers - but all their in house videos really suck. I still wait for beta though - hoping this game will be better than it looks in the videos.

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 3:18AM Bhima said

Its disappointing that their Chinatown layout is so open, with 4 lane roads going through it like its a financial district. I was really hoping to see more compacted blocks with narrow, twisty streets.

Posted: Oct 21st 2010 1:26AM cray said

Chinatown didn't look all that Chinese, Just few oriental roofing and that it. Whippie do!

The animations do not look fluid at all.