Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:24PM foofad said

That's pretty great - a little extra DPS on my Enyo will be pretty nice. I think this'll do a lot to make frigates a more varied and interesting class to fly with and against.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:43PM (Unverified) said

My only concern is it lowers the viability of frigates in PvP and PvE. Right now, frigates are *very* viable in PvP and low-sec PvE because of their speed. In example just last night me and a friend in Rifters were able to down 1+ million isk NPC battleship.

Myself, and a lot of people I know survive in low-sec by being cheap and fast. If fast is no longer, because rockets counter them. Then people will have to start taking bigger vehicles into low-sec to be vehicle. This will make gate camping (the lamest type of PvP) even worse (because right now speed blasts right through them in low sec). One of the more "balancing" factors of Eve is that fast and cheap is viable against slow and big (assuming they are alone).

Will that still be true when a Battleship fits a big ol' rocket launcher designed specifically to splatter fast.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:22PM DrewIW said

What game are you playing where Battleships fit Rocket Launchers?

:cripes:

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:30PM foofad said

I think you misunderstand. They aren't adding new rocket modules in different sizes - they aren't adding Battleship sized rockets. All they're doing is making existing rocket launchers and ammo not suck, putting them more in line with other weapons. They're giving you more options, and not in a way that's going to thin out the frigate crowd.

Rockets aren't going to be an anti-frigate nightmare weapon. They'll just be viable, just like any gun out there.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 9:27PM GaaaaaH said

The difference is rocket ammo and launchers not Standard Missiles/Assault Missiles/Torpedo Missiles etc - Rockets

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 9:36PM halfcaptain said

you ding dong. you claim to fly frigs pretty competently, but you've never noticed how shitty rocket launchers are?

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:47PM smg77 said

This is indeed good news. I love flying frigates so anything that makes them hit harder is fine with me.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 9:36PM Dblade said

Rockets aren't really anti-frigate specific: a ship with a web and scram and tracking enhancers can easily nail most frigs in the game, and thrashers can lay waste to many. They needed to be boosted because many frigs are bonused for them and designed to use them, but they are busted in terms of damage output, wasting them.

Even boosted, the frigs people have trouble with make rockets useless anyways. Inties and the Dramiel dictate range way out of the rockets range, and even fixed their speed will reduce damage.

This will boost output of several assault frigs. I know my Vengeance will see a boost. Also inty versus inty will be easier.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 12:44AM Brendan Drain said

I'm quite looking forward to seeing if rockets will be viable on a Malediction after the changes. It's a fast little ship that can orbit in close, but currently has some trouble dealing damage in that range.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 2:13AM Graill440 said

I remember that "fix". Thats the day idiots with make believe physics diplomas came out of the woodwork stating speed tanks were "totally real dude" and the game went further into the sbag hole. That and the loss of friendly fire aoe damage from expoding missiles and rockets and torps, but hey, they had to satisfy the masses of EVE pvprs such that they are.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 2:24AM Brendan Drain said

I believe you're thinking about a different fix. The loss of friendly fire from exploding torpedos (which was only ever a feature of torpedos, not other missiles) was WAY back in 2004/2005. The patch that rebalanced missiles and left rockets underpowered was much more recent, around 2008/2009. If you haven't played EVE since 2004, keep in mind that it has been over five years since then. The game has changed immensely since then.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 6:52AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Im sorry but this game is terrible . I know EVE has rabid fans that love the game but as someone who has played and loved space sim games ( Freelancer , Freespace ,x3 series ..etc etc ) this game is soooo boring for a new player how did you guys hand in there ? I canceled after one month because all I could do is basic mining and ratting . Why does it take so long to train skills up to do anything fun ?? I guess if you like mining and ratting in hi sec it's a fun game but if your new and wanna get into some pvp or serious money making forget it . This game needs a lot more then rockets to make it fun .

Posted: Oct 20th 2010 2:23AM (Unverified) said

"Unfortunately, [rockets] damage output and effectiveness against other frigates has been extremely poor since missiles and ship signature radii were rebalanced years ago."

It never ceases to amaze me how little CCP pays attention to the mechanics of their game. The devs are surely playing WoW or something, they sure as hell aren't playing EVE.