Posted: Oct 18th 2010 6:59PM Egobrane said

This doesn't surprise me, I play on Atonia Bayle and it's decently populated but nothing super huge. I've always wondered how the people felt that played on the empty servers.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:53PM (Unverified) said

There are some upsides to a low-population server:
* Named mobs are almost always up -- including some very rare ones you may not have ever seen on Antonia Bayle
* Harvesting nodes are in abundance with little competition except, sometimes, for T9 resources
* People tend to be friendlier since you see -- and recognize -- each other often in the same hunting areas; as opposed to being "lost in the crowd" on a high-pop server

I play both on Oasis (very low-pop) and Antonia Bayle (very high-pop) so I choose where to play that night depending on how "social" I feel

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:03PM (Unverified) said

The live server population will only get smaller and smaller as more people are 'encouraged' to sign up accounts on the new micro pay system.

If a current live subscriber wants to migrate to the high population and fresh free server they are asked to pay $25 per character to migrate across as well as a subscription fee that offers less perks for the same money.

It was shame to leave EQ2 after all those fun years, i am however having a great time in my new MMO home.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 7:13PM (Unverified) said

Sweet Dave, now can you talk people like Shu, and Ken into looking past their own ego's and taking note on what "F2P" systems work, and which ones fails?

Follow the Turbine model, you, the awesome game (EQ2) and us as fans will only benefit from it. Then, after you have turned around the company by single handedly forcing them to realize their follies of trying to "squeeze" the player for money instead of trying to "entice" them to subscribe, you can move on to Vanguard, your second best game at Sony Games Worldwide, and do the same thing.

Help us Dave, you are our only hope....

If you really think players won't notice a difference between treasured gear and legendary you are mistaken... Time to open up to new customers with open arms and not a huge lock pad with the key being the Sony store as the only way to unlock anything decent.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 8:59PM GreenArmadillo said

Lucan D'Lere is not being passed by because it has sufficient population. It's being passed because the only other RP server is AB, which doesn't have room.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 5:36AM (Unverified) said

I left EQ2 as soon as SOE jumped on the F2P bandwagon.

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 7:23AM Seffrid said

Large populations are over-rated in my view, you can only see and interact with a certain number of people and gain nothing from having half a dozen instances of the same zone as is often the case in EQ2 Extended. Busier chat channels are a good thing as long as the maturity is there which it tends not to be in EQ2 Extended although hopefully that won't be a problem on the merged Live servers.

Server mergers can be a real curse when treasured character names are lost but fortunately it looks like my own characters will be safe on Splitpaw this time round. I can personally see no benefit from its merger with Runnyeye but if there are those who do see a benefit then good luck to them.

I hope the servers can carry the additional load, that has to be the biggest concern after the enormous lag some have suffered from over the last year or so.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014