Posted: Oct 15th 2010 10:21AM madcartoonist said

I only just started playing last night so I can't give a really great opinion on the game, but so far I have enjoyed myself. The tutorial/prologue level was simple yet managed to really intrigue me on a story level much more then most other mmorpgs I have played. We will see if it has enough content to keep me going but I am also liking the more action game side of it. I know there will be more classes later, but they really should try and get some magic/archer type of classes. You can still play those type in an action rpg game (like Baldur's gate on the consoles). I haven't checked out the store yet but I thought I heard that even some of the cosmetic things are temporary which I think is a little lame... but again I haven't actually seen the store for myself. I'm having fun and I will play it until it leaves me feeling bored.... hopefully that won't happen too soon.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:00PM DevilSei said

Yeah, the temp Under-armor and Hair comes off as a rather dickish move, especially when compared to the rather permanent cosmetic options in all of its other games (even if it is implemented badly *coughDFOcough*).

Under-armor will be barely seen on Lann, while Fiona's serves as little more than a slight touch when seen with her armor on. The hair is INSTANTLY covered by the helmet in a mission, no choice, so most you'll ever see it is during the town. The stat bonuses it gives is inconsequential considering DFOs items give great stats and are permanent.

Most we've heard about it is one post on a petition on the games forum saying "They'll try to look into it".

Personally I'm ticked that the hair-style I loved during Closed beta is locked under a 30 day timer, with the most it ever offers is a paltry 7 luck.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 10:48AM (Unverified) said

So far the game is fun. The controls are intuitive (I'm using the keyboard+mouse layout), the learning curve is relatively low, the character movement is quite fluid, and the physics engine seems rather robust.

It feels very much like a console game, especially when interacting with NPCs, which amounts to looking at a static NPC picture and scrolling through text with a rendered room in the background viewed through a first person perspective.

Being able to interact with the environment is a really nice touch. Picking things up off of the floor and throwing them at the enemy was quite fun. Even more so was throwing an enemy corpse at his living teammates.

As of yet I have no glaring issues or complaints, but I will definitely need to spend more time to get a full feel for the game.

So far, very good.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 11:34AM Pingles said

An impressive game with a unique take on Combat.

But the gameworld is so heavily instanced I couldn't take it. I just felt like I was moving room to room rather than through a world.

Not for me but I totally see the attraction to the game.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 11:46AM (Unverified) said

I agreed with the previous comments about how fun and smooth the game is. However, what made me stop playing the beta and uninstall it was when you actually group up with other players. For example, I could not. For some reason the group leader is the host of that mission, so if the leader does not have perfect connection, then everyone lags to hell and back. Out of a possible twelve groups I've tried to do a mission with, none were ever stable enough. Will this change at all you think?

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:03PM DevilSei said

Good question.
I've been having a similar issue, I managed to find one group where the leader and two people (me and another from the group before) actually had somewhat decent connections. The 4th though, couldn't do crap because of it. Was on the Decisive battle fight too... which is a pain in the ass to solo.

Its odd too, seeing as how Closed Beta ran like a dream in groups. Which leads me to Nexon damn well better start updating their server structure, otherwise this game is getting a swift kick off my computer.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:05PM (Unverified) said

I just don't get these "action" games. The combat in Vindictus is even more simple than the nerfed combat of Free Realms. You just endlessly spam the same attack over and over and over, with the occasional secondary attack and some dodging. Talk about mindless button mashing. Yes, the graphics are nice and the game seems well made, but it is totally pointless. Guess I'm not the target for these type of simple combat games like Vindictus and TERA.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:43PM (Unverified) said

Only available to residents inside the U.S. and Canada. U.S. territories (and other countries) are excluded from the open beta. Which I find odd. Specially for U.S. territories.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 12:34AM cray said

Well I just played it today, I haven't found the ins & out of the mechanics. There seems to be some depth to the game despite the repetitious mechanics. I got bored fairly early but I'm willing to give it more time once the other classes are unlocked to public. I don't like the dialogue box without any audio. I guess they can't afford voice-overs.

I'm hoping that after leveling up there will be more combinations of moves. Right now it's quite limited at level 4.

Posted: Oct 18th 2010 10:04AM (Unverified) said

You can string together more complex moves at higher levels - and respectively, higher skill ranks - each with their own benefits (one might be fast and have a larger range, but be weaker than another).

With that said, it doesn't get that much more complex. If you don't like Vindictus at the outset it won't get much better and I am nearly capped as of OB.

Posted: Oct 21st 2010 6:44AM (Unverified) said

Tokens reset bi-weekly and you run out fast considering the more trips you take the more it costs you. The localization team have no interest in changing it so it seems. Anyone NOT playing Vindictus should save yourself the trouble and wait for something else or better yet Pay2Play a Sub game it's far cheaper in the long run Nexon needs not your money for this type of behavior as gPotato has done in the past.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM