Posted: Oct 15th 2010 11:19AM Misterlee said

I don't remember what the map was called but somewhere in the Eye of the North expansion of Guild Wars I was walking along and spotted a white rabbit. I thought it was odd, I'd never noticed one before so I went to look at it. As I approached, it hopped away. I went closer and it did it again. I had to keep following it, I knew something was going to happen... it lead me to a somewhat hidden area that was so beautiful. A path led down to an open area with a big ancient tree in the bottom and it was all sparkly and nicely lit, unlike the snowy area I had been in. I followed the rabbit down the path as it hopped towards the tree....

and then dozens of angry ghost mobs popped out and killed me!

I knew something was going to happen like that but I kept going anyway because it was such a great moment. I could easily have overlooked the rabbit or not followed it and never found this area.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 11:23AM Aganazer said

Asheron's Call

There were hundreds of dungeons. Even at the game's peak it was rare to see other players in any but the most popular dungeons. I loved finding unique places in the dungeons that were underpopulated. It was even cooler when you ran into the rare person you find who is also exploring that dungeon.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 1:39PM pixledriven said

AC had TONS of cool little out of the way places you could randomly stumble on. They really put the effort into adding traces here and there of the previous (now destroyed) civilization that populated the world. I used to love wandering off the beaten path and discovering temples and statues and what-not.

My favorite had to be the bridge up by .... was it Arwic?

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 11:50AM dronf said

In DAOC, soon after release, I figured out how to sneak into albion and midgard from hibernia. I had only ever played hib so seeing spindelhalla and stonehenge was pretty cool.

And of course ganking people off of horses with my ranger when they thought they were safe was hilarious.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 11:52AM (Unverified) said

I remember when WoW was in beta and I found the Conan chamber in the blasted lands, that was one of the coolest moments ever for me, because it started the tradition of our guild meetings being held there.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:30PM (Unverified) said

So many moments.

- In EQ there were fake walls in Felwithe and Highcastle, when you went through it a whole secret area opened up with hallways and rooms. There wasn't much happening in it, but they looked great.
- in GW you could travel beyond the beaten paths, with great areas to discover like Icetooth Cave.
- in AoC you could get behind the invisible walls and travel outside the walls of Conarch village, up the waterfall and the mountain, or inside the Volcano or see floating houses in Tortage isle, or get far outside the invisible walls of Old Tarantia and find hidden caves.

I agree that EQ had great exploration options, it felt like an adventure traveling from Faydwer to Qeynos, as if you really traveled a continent. Or to dive down a lake and find Kedge Keep, great stuff.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 1:02PM Frunobulax said

I remember way back when, someone showed me how to climb to the top of the mountain above Ironforge. I don't think it's possible anymore. Had a great view!

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:52PM Dumac said

Maybe realizing that there is a passage in Kaineng Center in Guild Wars that i've never been to, i've always overlooked it. It leads to a docks area that is empty but almost doubles the size of the city and i never knew it was there, hiding right under my nose.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 1:28PM Dezyne said

In TBC WoW, before Zul Aman and the Black Temple were implemented, I used blink to get into both zones. The black temple was just a pyramid with nothing in it. ZA was just a door, behind it was a large clif. I used Slow Fall to get down from the clif and discovered a flat plane that competly encircled the Blood Elf Starter area.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 5:56PM (Unverified) said

World of Warcraft, Blinking through the Deadmines portal :D

Fall, Swim Swim Swim towards the surface, and then... TARDAR! Massive sparkling area with floating tree's and such

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 6:48PM Graill440 said

The olthoi caves deep in the olthoi hive was amazing back then.........only to find tens upon tens of bots sitting in safety on the pillers out in the acid lakes grinding the bugs.

Posted: Oct 17th 2010 7:27AM (Unverified) said

I been playing MMOs for a long time, since early Ultima Online. I feel like I have seen a lot of amazing places in a lot of different MMO's. However, by far the most of these were in DAOC and EQ.

The most memorable though was in DAOC. In Albion, via the Shrouded Isles expansion, there is a spot far out of the way where there is a Midgard encampment. They are like invaders turn refugees. All of their dragon boats are capsized on the beach, and they have set up huts and homes around the beach. It might not sound that amazing, but at that time between the intensity of the game and the competition between factions, I had never seen an NPC community of another faction set up on an opposing factions home areas. It just blew me away and became one of my favorite "camping" spots.

But I also agree with two other posters above. Muspelheim in DAOC was an incredible experience. When I first went in there I actually got scared and left, because the whole screen got dark and the sound of fire and lave filled the speakers. I thought I wandered into some high level zone.

Also, I to will never ever forget my first experience trying to get from Qeynos to Freeport via the Karanas. No maps, and only a winding dirt road that led to Bandits, Griffons, Werewolves and yes.... the High Keep guards. Absolutely edge of the seat terror and excitement.