Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:17AM (Unverified) said

I remember in WoW exploring the caverns of time in Vanilla WoW mind you. There was some way to jump on the sides and jump right down inside. It was just amazing seeing something you weren't supposed to see and experiencing that with my friends was even cooler.

Also back when FFXI had amazing graphics it seemed at the time :p Just exploring anywhere in that game was amazing in my opinion.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:32AM Ogged said

I particularly liked Muspelheim in Midgard (DAoC) ... the red sky, the lava and the blackened earth made you smell the sulfur.
And it had really fat giants running around !

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:34AM pcgneurotic said

I remember the first time I hired a flying mount the first time I left the Gnomish starter zone in Vanguard (before the Starter Isle thing), and seeing what felt like the entire world stretching away for *hundreds* of miles into the distance. It blew my mind completely.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:36AM (Unverified) said

There's this little area behind Beggar's Haunt in Duskwood. When you find it, the dusk turns to complete sunshine, and there's an radiant pool with an unmarked grave. There are also two "Dark Portal" type statues there which make it very odd.

It's a conscious placement of these things and this environmental change, and it's hard to find. I always wondered what it was... or is.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:36AM Vorender said

It wasn't really one particular area for me, but still very memorable. About 12 years ago, I trekked from Freeport to Qeynos without a map or minimap around lvl 18. I'll never forget that adventure. Not knowing where I was, where I was going, what danger lurked around every turn (Highpass Guards still give me nightmares). Since that total in game time of about 12 hours (I got lost in South Karana, apparently), nothing in an MMO has come even close to the fun factor of that spur of the moment decision.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:43AM (Unverified) said

PRobably back in Vanilla WoW when my friend showed me the way to jump into Mt. Hyjal. it was pretty much done at the time at least graphically

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 6:13PM Anulla said

Don't forget about the 'Under Construction' signs scattered around in Hyjal back then. I remember casting Water Breathing on all my guildies as we swam to the bottom of the Well of Eternity. Good times back then.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:52AM SkyStreak said

There is an 'open' (non-instanced) Council base in the Rikti War Zone in CoH.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:54AM SkyStreak said

There is also the never implemented 'queue area' for the Arena that you can get to by falling through the map in PI.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:57AM krakead said

Tarantia Commons in AoC long before it was opened to players. I was crossing to the Noble District when I fell through bridge! Must have been a hole in the geometry, but I ended up in the Commons. I spent a good couple of hours exploring and taking screen shots. The main area was pretty much complete , as was the slum area, except for a notable lack of NPCs. The rest of the map area was open too with none of those annoying invisible walls to stop you getting where you shouldn't. Some of the buildings up on the hills were just shells crudely placed and half buried in the ground. Managed to get right to the edge of the map but didn't try throwing myself off into the void ;)

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 9:12AM wagonfactor said

Pretty much anything and everything in old daoc... back before there was an ingame map. I honestly LOVED when there was no ingame map. You had no idea what was out there. Everything was just so new and mysterious. That, and it was my first mmorpg made it absolutely mind blowing. When I first joined the game I was an albion elf which started me in camp forest. I didn't think the game left the forest. My first horse ride to camelot was just..... wow omg wtf. My life was forever changed :)

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 9:28AM Wisdomandlore said

FFXI was filled with fascinating artistic details. I remember the first time I saw the "spines" that criss-crossed the world in various places. I followed along trying to find them. Or the first time I wondered into the Sanctuary of Zi'Tah, or found the temple deep in the jungle. But then again with its (at the time) great graphics and absolutely incredible soundtrack, I spent a lot of time just sitting and staring and listening in places. It makes me almost want to go back. Almost.

LOTRO also has lots of cool places to find. Little lore nuggets like Bilbo's trolls in the Trollshaws, or just tantalizing doors hidden in various places that Turbine has never done anything with (but maybe they will soon).

Posted: Oct 17th 2010 7:16AM (Unverified) said

Asheron's Call, I'd spent a couple days tied to a lifestone lost in the wild when I came across a town. There was a bunch of people clapping hands (craft bots I later realised), but I was happy to be in from the wilds.

I walked into a bar, spoke to a few npcs around, and went up a staircase onto an upstairs balcony that overlooked the plains I had just crossed. Sunset was kicking in, the stars were starting to come out. I gazed out at that gorgeous horizon and fell in love with MMO's. Been playing them ever since.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 9:40AM Rihahn said

Some of the final 'boss' and quest locations on the Dragon ascension quest in Horizons (Istaria) kept me saying 'that's impressive' over and over for a few days.

The few times I've managed to get into some location that wasn't quite finished yet in WoW were also memorable... Blizz would literally draw zone flow on the ground and sketch out where things like buildings and such would eventually be placed... It really gives you a sense of scale when your character is standing in the middle of letter "A" in the word "stairs" and it's the size of a small house. :)

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 2:41PM (Unverified) said

The lands north of Eastern Plaguelands in WoW, just up and around the tip. All you had to do was swim up and around from Hinterlands or Tirisfal and eventually you'd come to an abandoned Elf city port thing. Quel'Something. They recently did a write up of it on wowinsider. Quite an awesome experience after swimming for at least 20 minutes, thinking you're a complete moron, everyone else giving up on you and turning back.... then all of sudden you experience dry land, with a massive tower and a crumbled dock.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 9:52AM (Unverified) said

For me it was the "Chamber of Upside Down Bodies" below Kharazan in WoW that I came across one night before Kharazan was actually launched. Very cool, very creepy, and as allways left me wondering "Why is this here"?.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:30PM Necromas said

There are a lot of cool places in Guild Wars you can stumble upon just by exploring or by doing obscure quests.

It's pretty hard to pick just once place, but I'm gonna go with the southern shiverpeaks, particularly the pass between the northern shiverpeaks and the southern shiverpeaks. Theres a lot of places where you can get great views of the landscape and little nooks hiding things like temples and statues.

The funnest part of exploring though was discovering "The Mountainheart"

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 10:24AM Natasha said

The first really neat area was in SWG during the beta. I found a glitch which allowed me to enter ta compund only to find Darth Vader and his master the evil emporer.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 10:28AM Egobrane said

a picture tells a thousand words, etc

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 10:58AM (Unverified) said

the most fun exploring I had was in the original guild wars. There was always beautiful places to find and explore. Though it was never very rewarding other than visually, I enjoyed the proces because it felt like I was exploring my own world, where danger could be around the corner, but always coupled by beauty and wonder

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM