Posted: Oct 15th 2010 9:08PM JuliusSeizure said

/applaud

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 11:11PM (Unverified) said

That was a really good read, and I didn't mind its apparent tangential nature at all. It's nice because I really got a feel for the passion you have for roleplaying. :)

Posted: Oct 16th 2010 6:11AM Jeromai said

Sometimes I get the impression you're arguing more in favor for "flavor" (as in the twice-removed hyperlinked Magic article from this one) or the capacity for player "immersion" into a character and world as opposed to actual "roleplaying" on an MMO.

The hilarity of that Magic article is that I personally can't stand either game A or game B - A has been made obtuse on purpose, even if there is pleasant precision in some of the phrases used. B is full of purple prose and is a struggling attempt to tell a dramatic narrative at the expense of ignoring the actual strategic game most people play. (Also an issue with roleplaying in MMOs, imo.) To me, a little flavor from B goes a long way to making A into a more understandable and enjoyable C.

I dearly need to ask one of those "if the tree falls in the forest, who's around to hear it" questions. What is your definition of roleplaying, in relation to MMOs?

Is a player who creates their own character in their head, with a name and background, roleplaying?

Even if they proceed to not act like their character would in game, but speak OOC without indicating so? If they never interacted, spoke or displayed a single IC emote to another person, and never bothered with a character bio either?

But they talk to mobs in character? Or maybe they sit in their personal housing arranging furniture and dressing their avatars in a manner consistent with what they feel their character would like? Or spent time out-of-game writing in-character journals about their adventures? (Is there a difference if they kept those words to themselves, or published them on a blog or forums for others to read?)

What if they chose game-appropriate decisions (such as complete the quest for xp because they want to level) rather than base their actions on roleplaying in a consistent fashion (reject the quest because it violates their characters' morals or for "my character wouldn't do that" reasons.)

How about players who just do a few of the actions above but not all? Do we consider them partially roleplaying, solo roleplaying, or just not roleplaying?

Posted: Oct 16th 2010 6:13AM Jeromai said

The "you" is mostly referring to Eliot, but other commenters, feel free to jump into the discussion. :)

Posted: Oct 16th 2010 6:21AM Jeromai said

Re: "we could have a game that allows us even small choices everywhere, like an improvement on KOTOR 1&2 and the Mass Effect series"

*chants Guild Wars 2, Guild Wars 2 over and over again*

I really hope the personal story and events systems match my expectations after I drive myself into a frenzy of hype and idealism. The marketing machine has barely starting rolling, and I'm already stoked.