Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:24PM (Unverified) said

Seems like SE is trying to backpetal for some reason, I think it has something to do with a millionaire player that didn't just quit put sold off 24 million dollars of stock. The game simply sucks cut and dry, I looked forward to it, I wanted it to be good, but it isn't. There basic game functions that missing that the industry and SE should have figured out year ago. They didn't listen to players, and subscriptions are already disppearing. They ignored their fan base, for new players. Dumbing down mechanics, limiting world movement, and lacking the series loved storylines. To little to late, dead game.

PS She not a super hot chick that out of your league, she that girl that looks good from a distance, but is fungly and annoying once you talk to her.

All they had to do was make a update graphics version of 11, with instant attacks, instead of turn based action bars and TP. Let it hit em where it hurts most, their wallets.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:48PM Sinsiltlia said

• Half a heart
I remember saying this game would suck and boy did I get rated down and of course a post full of angry people. *Feels good to be right* I even used the open beta to help me decide once and for all (both if the game would end up sucking and if I was for sure not going to play), I played it keyboard and mouse then again with gamepad horrible lag, lack of direction.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 1:02PM Dandmcd said

Smart move by SE, I'm sure only 15 to 20% of players who bought this game on launch day would have stuck around if they were getting billed for the next month. With WoW feeling like a new game with the first major patch in months, and the disappointment this game has brought, this game would have been dead in the water by December, at least now they have given people a small reason to not uninstall just yet.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 5:17PM Its Utakata stupid said

I think you have a point Dan. The jury is still out for me regarding changes in WoW, but I can least say...it's peaked my interests considerabley and I'm no longer bored out of my mind everytime I log into it now. If peeps are finding it FFIV after only a couple of weeks when released, then perhaps SE may need to change their approach too. If they're looking for more paying customers outside their die hard Abriael fan base, that is.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 1:42PM mattward1979 said

Smart move? or open admission that they released a product that was unfinished, buggy and just plain bad?

As an Ex-Bar manager I tend to put things in a Bar-esque manner, so think of this..

Someone walks into a bar, orders a pint.

Bar-Lord - "Here you go dude! Best Pint you will ever have!!"
Customer - "It tastes like a rat threw up on a dog, and then stirred it into some taramasalata..... "
Bar-Lord - "Hmm.. Come back next month and ill give you a better one for free!"
Customer - "Jesus christ............"

So... You have already paid for the Pint. It sucks. It is not WORTH your money, but you have to wait a month to get the product you are paying for, with no guarantee that it will be improved at all..

Blowing smoke up your collective arse while chuckling like rabid lunatics over the money they made out of you already.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 1:43PM Betel said

Cataclysm is no replacement for this game. They are not similar.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:57PM Rialle said

I agree. One of these games is playable. The other game is FFXIV.

In all seriousness, as much as I lament how WoW caters to the lowest common denominator too much nowadays, it is still the overall best game on the MMO market when push comes to shove. This is a sad statement because after six years, one would think that another company could come along and do better than WoW, overall. Sure, some are better than WoW in a certain specific area, or cater to a specific niche, but when it comes to general purpose MMOs, WoW still wins.

I look at a game that had a ton of potential like FFXIV and weep at the fact Square-Enix allowed their arrogance to get the best of them, and basically did everything that I hoped they wouldn't do with their game by eschewing almost every advancement made to the genre since 2004. I really wanted to like this game, but it is what it is.

There is no way that SE is going to get this game into shape over the next 30 days. The people who actually like FFXIV are going to stick around regardless, and everyone else is already heading back to the loving bosom of Blizzard. This is the same thing that happened with every other game that launched too early with the delusion that they'd win over subscribers by launching an unfinished game early in order to "beat" a WoW xpac.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 1:56PM Arkanaloth said

glad they did this but I was going to stick with the game regardless. it's not perfect by any means but I'm enjoying it so IMO it's worth my time. Looking forward to seeing what they implement to fix things but really for me a faster interface (it feels like it's all server side data, if so they need to dump that all client side) and an AH would do it for me.

Between FF14 and GuildWars I'm pretty much covered for quite some time.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 2:02PM Controlled Chaos said

"Oh crap, oh crap, please don't leave! Please don't! We'll give you another month...yesss, there you go, come back, we won't hurt you. It's just another month, that's all. There we go, stay right there..."

Another month isn't going to help if they don't fix a LOT of things very quickly.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 4:51PM dudemanjac said

Not to be the voice of reason but it looks like they are admitting they are wrong and from that list I read, they are addressing almost every complaint I've heard. And if they do it as fast as they say they are, that's pretty significant. I'll take my free month. I think all they have to do now is deal with the number of leves and adding some more content.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 2:36PM Solp said

So much epic fail, it's delicious.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 3:40PM (Unverified) said

IDK I'am enjoying it, I love the game its like a old school rpg where most things are timed, the game will be around for awhile imo, yes their will be haters but most of them are going to cata and to what they are use to. This game has the feel of FFXI but different fighting tactics, also with all the info they posted on the lodestone about upcoming version updates and the addition of world NM's and Leve NM's and all the other fixes they are doing it should keep me busy. I can't wait along with alot of others that are playing and enjoying the game. It's not for all that is the truth, it dont have a jump button but that dont make a game. The game has only been out for a few weeks and things are getting better each week. Its all about real world testing, beta testing can only do so much they have to get it out in the wild and try it out on all computers of different builds. I dont blame SE they took a risk and are listening to fans and changing things, but I've come to learn no matter what you say on Massively people will still be debbie downers specially the wowers that were looking for something new and probably the same gameplay that they grew to love. anyhow let the rate down begin cuz that is all this site and its followers do. (Not all but the most go read other post they have more hate in them then happy stuff and not just talking about FFXIV hate I'am talking about all other MMO's)

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 4:16PM Audacious said

The best part is that the version update that will actually bring some content into the game isn't until mid-December, which is well after even the extended free trial will end. I guess they're doing whatever they can to postpone the inevitable drop in population from players who'll leave after the free trial.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 4:26PM (Unverified) said

I'm enjoying the game even with all it rough spots. Another 30 days of free play suits me just fine. Nice to see some communication from the company that is known to have horrible communication with its player base. Looking to forward to what they can do in another month and how the player base reacts.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 5:08PM (Unverified) said

And still nothing about the godawful, horrid and backwards gear repair system.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 7:11PM dudemanjac said

What's wrong with the gear repair? you get tools and fix it or you pay someone to do it, or you go to the npc.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 6:03PM cured said

The people over at Blizzard must be laughing their asses off at every single bit of news from FFXIV. Their managers/directors are no doubt saying "that's why we don't release unfinished games."

Guild Wars 2...save us...

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 7:10PM dudemanjac said

Someone wasn't playing WoW right after beta. I hate that I can't give you actual examples, but I remember all sorts of problems and tweaks being made after it came out. Patching was no joy, that's for sure.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 9:08PM Rialle said

Yes. Launch WoW suffered from loot lag and some other oddities mainly because the game got way more subscribers than Blizzard anticipated. I remember it well, and there were some very annoying problems which Blizzard worked very hard to address. IIRC, Blizzard even stopped shipping out retail copies of the game for a short while to limit the game's growth while they addressed the performance issues.

Even so, one could tell that at the core, WoW's design philosophy was solid. It was fun to play because from the get go, it had solid, responsive controls and a good UI that players didn't have to fight against. These are the very areas that FFXIV fails at.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 6:05PM (Unverified) said

"Aimed primarily at purchasers of the collector's edition with its headstart, the extension will be credited to any and all accounts created before October 19th."

Wrong.

Eligibility
All users who registered a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account and purchased a character by October 25, 2010 will be eligible.

Might wanna edit the article for the right date.