Posted: Oct 14th 2010 6:56PM Arsinek said

PVP is funner then PVE because who cares about killing computer controlled mobs. Even the biggest baddest boss is still just code running through the same set of instructions over and over, wow, fun. Theres nothing more thrilling or rewarding then duking it out with a fellow player to see whos better.

I played hours upon hours of AV on a rogue and boy was it fun destroying people. What was great about AV for PVP was first it was the closest thing to a real battle in all of WoW, except the occasional pointless city raids which rarely happened, second AV was mixed with people in there just to grind and PVPers in there to PVP, so you could kill countless grinders then have a challenge with the occasional PVPer. All the PVE I did was just to get better gear to go kill people in AV. Good times.

Posted: Oct 14th 2010 7:54PM Leitchy said

Why do I PvP in an MMO? Easy. I don't.

The end.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 3:50AM (Unverified) said

I do not play PvP in MMOs. If I like to I go and buy any kind of shooter.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 5:07AM (Unverified) said

Why ?

1. It's a challenge.
2. It's unpredictabe.
3. Progression with assembled gear and personal skill
4. It's strategic (depending what class you play)
5. Because oif the character progression it is far better than FPS
6. Beating another group is more rewarding than a patato.
7. It's replayable for 10.000 times and the 10.001 time you are excited even more.

I must say that the only real PvP game as a fantasy MMO is WOW, because no other game has the same responsiveness in the actions and controls of the avatars.

If you DO introduce PvP in your game, better have the very best responsive controls of the avatars and that includes jumping, back attacks (ignoring dodge, parry) and not a hampering gameplay.

In fact the BG's in WOW are 100 times more fun than many so called FPS games where the view is far too limited to have an operational-strategical overview of the game. While other games who tried to emulate those bigger BG's were too clunky to even be a competitve PvP game (AoC, War, etc).

Yes and jumping is important to shake of the attacks over hedges etc.

I also liked Pirates of the Burning Sea, but very few people play it, so you don't have much playing fun, but it is not as diverse as the WOW game. Sea battles stay ... sea battles.

Yep I am an old board wargamer....

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 8:23PM (Unverified) said

And there you have it. Take Nadril's comment, "Deal with it. I don't care if most people 'aren't competitive' I care about what I find the most fun." As well as a couple of removed comments like "I like to **** with people." To me that is the attitude most typical of PvPers. They were the PKers and griefers of the past, who only cared about their warped idea of 'fun', even if it ruined the game for "most people." Now they are the whiners in MMOs saying "it's all about PvP!" Someone made a MMO all about PvP. I think it was called "APB"? I wonder how that's doing.

But anyway, I have no problem with organized story-based PvP; "We must avenge our fallen brother!" kind of thing. I've done it, even enjoyed it. It's the people who think they have a "right" to kill anyone in the game for no reason other than the game includes PvP. If you don't play along, they will scream right in your face, "You're a pussy!" or "carebear!" (whatever the hell that is). So let's say you've put together a player event, there's all this drama and story going on, and then someone runs into the middle of it and starts shooting people. "Hey, you were flagged PvP. You should have expected someone to jump you," he says. You say, "'Nadril', you just interrupted a player event that took weeks to plan." "Who cares," says this 'Nadril', "I care about what I find the most fun." So as not to be entirely hypothetical, this scenario happened to me last night. So it's not the PvP, it's the PvPers.

"Hey! Unfair! We're not all like that." I acknowledge that. But too damn many of you are.

Posted: Oct 17th 2010 1:07AM (Unverified) said

I find the idea of pvp being anything more than a minigame in mmorpg’s ridiculous.

As a small diversion it’s fine but to demand open world pvp? The gameplay of most mmo’s is as follows: Class A will almost always beat class B and almost always lose to class C, the exceptions being huge differences in level or gear. This is a simplified formula but you get the idea.

I’ve been called a “carebear” because I prefer cooperative play in my mmorpg’s but should any of those “hard core pvpers” come across me when I’m playing my first person shooters I’ll make them cry. FPS’s generally don’t have much (if any) emphasis on gear or leveling and as such everyone is given the same tools to succeed. Enter player skill.

A large part of the problem with pvp in mmorpg’s is the pvpers themselves. From personal experience these players tend to have a negative impact on a gaming community. Now I do know some decent players who are all about the pvp but they are by far the exception not the rule.

Posted: Oct 17th 2010 4:53PM (Unverified) said

Also Orion, not every PVP player is a mindless brute or Ganker. You have this elitist attitude. There is skill involved in many mmos. AoC, L2 for example. People who have had higher levels and better gear have been take out by better skilled players.

We're not talking about an FPS, which i love as well, where things are different. MMos are an entirely different beast. The only connection that in both, you can get one shotted.

Posted: Oct 17th 2010 4:44PM (Unverified) said

I'm not a hardcore PVPer but that being said. I still can't agree with only PVE. MMO's are role playing games. In what world do u know were everything is predictable? I'd kill myself before playing on a PVE sever. If anything, PVP forces you to look at your class in a different way so you can beat another PVP class you couldn't before. In PVE you have 5 million ppl all playing the same class the same way to beat the same mods they always fight. I don't know about you but I like to think out of the box. I like the challenge of fighting someone I shouldn't be able to beat and win regardless.

@ Orion Magus, Your comment about "Class A will always beat Class B" , no offense, but just shows a very narrow perspective on how you and other PvE only players play mmos. PvE is the quintessential example of Class A beats Class b because Class A is you. Class B is the Mob. You Win.

Thats not a game with a constantly evolving world and landscape.. Thats a predictable bore.

Posted: Oct 17th 2010 5:36PM (Unverified) said

You make me smile good sir. While I don’t particularly enjoy pvp I am dragged into it every now and again by friends who like it. I am a number crunching, min/maxing machine and when it comes to pvp I’m no different. Whenever anyone in my guild needs advise on pvp I’m the go to guy even though I probably engage in pvp less than almost anyone else in the guild..

When I speak of class A beating Class B most of the time I’m not talking from an abstract position but from personal experience. As class A when I pvp and encounter class B its exceedingly rare that I lose. It would be fair to say “almost all the time” or “98.5%” from my personal experience but I figured I would round down to just “most of the time“.

But hey, I’m just an elitist pve carebear so take from my “extremely scientific research” what you will. XD

Posted: Oct 22nd 2010 9:00PM A sneaky zebra said

I have been playing Darkfall for just shy of 3 months now. Now Darkfall isn't a game that you can log on for 2 hours a day and be competitive, I'm talking 10 hour days of gaming is the norm for me. After all this play time to level up my stats, skills, magic and individual spells I'm just breaking into being viable and able to be relied on. But the aspect of risk and reward, doing everything you can to increase your chances of winning by 0.01% and slowly seeing that work pay off in an clutch kill that can sway a 100v100 fight in your favor is one of the most intense things ever.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM