Posted: Oct 13th 2010 2:18PM EgoPoisoning said

DDO got me with a jump scare just last night. Delera's Tomb is one of many areas where there are tons of sarcophagi on the walls, some of which explode to release undead denizens, and by this point in the game that entire schtick is old hat. But last night one explosion just happened to synch up perfectly with a lull in the NIN cd I was listening to and I nearly knocked my computer off the desk.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 2:24PM (Unverified) said

Anytime you go into SecondLife and visit anywhere on the 'Adult' continent you will be creeped out. If you really have a desire to be creeped out search for 'shemale'. Nuff said.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 3:05PM Orvidos said

I'm arachnophobic enough that I don't feel good around spiders in video games. The only ones that don't get to me are probably WoW's orange and green furry things. The Old Kingdom and Anh'ket (or however that's spelled) destroy me, however. Really do not enjoy those instances.

I can usually deal with it, but my skin crawls until I leave the area.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 4:27PM Snorii said

City of Heroes - First time I did the Stop all Wildflower Agents mission.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 5:21PM Seraphina Brennan said

Naxxramas, World of Warcraft. While not much in that instance is legitimately "scary," there is one scary little fact about the place that really creeps you out if you know it.

Thaddius, the end boss of the Construct Quarter, is made out of the flesh of kidnapped women and children. Throughout the raid, if you listen, you'll hear the screams of children and the pleas and cries of women periodically. Once you beat Thaddius though... they stop.

Still creeps me the heck out.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 10:31PM illansesher said

I love my GF & like to buy her things... *shrugs*

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 11:39PM Shazzie said

I've never been really creeped out/scared by anything in an MMO. I enjoy it when the devs have made something incredibly spooky, I like that feeling, but something about an MMO just doesn't quite register on the 'I should be scared' scale. I loved EQ2's spooky-oriented Estate of Unrest and such, but it was more enjoyment of the vibe than being actually spooked.

The only thing that's really and truly spooked me in a game was playing through the Cradle in Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows). That was the pinnacle of the type of spookiness I enjoy.

Posted: Oct 14th 2010 2:34AM Revrant said

Too many to count from WoW, anything with the Old Gods creeps me out as a lover of the Lovecraftian mythos.

I remember Ahn'kahet, and the whispers, and then the final boss, and I freaked the hell out when he cast Insanity, partially from fear, partially from not knowing what to do!

Azjol-Nerub is another that caused my skin to crawl, and the final showdown was meaningful as a lover of the Warcraft games. Ulduar comes to mind, as does ICC and the 5-mans attached to it, again the lore and build-up to the pivotal moments were very creepy and unnerving.

Disturbing imagery doesn't mean much to me, if that's what you're getting at, nor do "thrill" scares like the picture, which is why I can't stand Japanese horror games.

I can't say any MMO has ever made me afraid, there's never been anything unknown, which is what really scares me, the emotional involvement and the unknown, none of these other games develop their lore to form these connections and thus have never scared me.

Interesting article though!

Posted: Oct 16th 2010 2:33AM (Unverified) said

The Estate of Unrest in EQ2 creeped me out a lot. The ambience was perfectly done, with footsteps, creaking doors, etc. and a script for the zone that revolves around curses and the undead. There's a point (in the Nursery, I think) where a ghost is saying something like 'never a child to rock and hold, all the she loves has grown dead and cold' and it makes me shudder every time I run the zone. The dungeon has lots of fun battles and tricks to, from trapped collectibles and chests to hidden doors and unique fights. I love the place, but don't expect me to group there in the dark ;)

Posted: Oct 19th 2010 1:48PM (Unverified) said

there are many areas in Fallen Earth that have a creepy desolate vibe, but the best is creeping others out by talking about human scavenging.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014