Posted: Oct 13th 2010 3:28PM bjooks said

Thanks, Eliot. 'Twas me who sent that email.

I like your list, particularly the Sidekicks. It would be killer to be able to custom design my own sidekick.

An option I'd like to see in CoH is something akin to CO's Nemesis system. I'm not super familiar with it, but if you get to design your own nemesis, then it's heads-and-tails above the dopplegangers we currently have, because as much as I love the dopplegangers, my nemesis isn't an alt-reality version of me. I'd like to be able to create my own nemeses and have them pop up in random tip missions or radio missions or whatnot.

Thanks again!

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 7:12PM Eliot Lefebvre said

Glad you enjoyed the column, and sorry that I misplaced the original mail.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 4:01PM Wraibot said

You forgot PvP.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 4:59PM Ragemore said

#1 - Steal a Graphics Engine and I'm back.

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 12:29AM Ekphrasis said

Agree.

CoH is extremely dated in the visuals department.

As an example, go and create a character in Champions Online. Check out a few of their zones, especially Lemuria and Monster Island. Then go back to CoH and create a character and walk around CoH's zones. Big difference.

I know that CO is a newer game and has the benefit of newer technology but still - CoH is due for a visual update - and I don't mean pretty reflections. CO's visuals + a lot of CoH's team focused gameplay and mechanics = win in my books.

Bring on CoX 2.0.

Posted: Oct 17th 2010 12:51PM Daemodand said

IMHO CO is not a better looking game, it's a different looking game. And it's not trying to look more realistic (cell shading tells you that) it's trying to look more fantastic. At that, it succeeds, but I prefer CoH's art direction and animations. CO's leave me cold.

CoH has animations that puts many brand-new games to shame. DCUO, I'm looking at you.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 7:04PM (Unverified) said

Really? LotRO for the epic storyline? How much would it suck if every time you found a decent villain, you sparred with it for a couple minutes before Statesman flew in and blasted it to bits?

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 7:22PM CitizenH said

"How much would it suck if every time you found a decent villain, you sparred with it for a couple minutes before Statesman flew in and blasted it to bits?"

The situation you describe /happens/. Not often but enough to be annoying.
XD

In the high end PvP zone there are NPCs of the signature characters that are four times more powerful than player characters who will swoop in to kill steal if they get the chance.

In PvE, most of the villains appear as AV/Hero class and they're designed for teams of eight so you never really "spar" with them because you're just not on their level. Occasionally solo you fight some watered down noncanonical 'Elite Boss' versions of them, and yes, a number of those missions do have Statesman and other signature character tagging along at NPC helpers.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 7:49PM (Unverified) said

Ah. I've been lazy, hero-side, and only made it up to about 30, there.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 7:09PM Superfan said

I like the sidekick idea but we kinda already have a lot of pets in game for some classes. It would be nice to be have something like that in the end-game set up. Where you make your own side kick (costumes etc) and then can call on him in certain missions. Maybe some end game missions etc.

They really need to add something to mission types. Something significant. We have a ton of: 'meet contact; get mish; go to instanced mish; defeat all/click glowie/rescue' (not all are like this but most are). We need something very different. We have so many of these types of missions that most will never play them all. Ever. The new twists in Going Rogue are nice but are way too similar to what we have.

We absolutely need something that feels epic. The ITF kinda feels like that. Maybe the Recluse Strike Force or Statesman TF...not many. We need something where we are compelled to read the mission and it feels epic. I hate to say it but most missions kinda don't and most TFs really suck. Is it me or can you blow through most missions without needing to read a thing. Maybe reduce the walls of text and do something where we have to choose after reading the descriptions. Honestly, I really think only the ITF is truly epic. The other two are solid but a bit too loosely connected (STF - they just go all over and the missions aren't flowing together that well. Same goes for the LRSF).

If the devs never added another mission it would be cool with me. Add more unique TFs. Add different missions. Do NOT add yet another story arc mission where you just zip through it and it feels like the every other mission.

Add new systems. Sidekicks would be cool. How about picking up weapons or magics etc that you can just add to your toon. Not temps but permanent. Make them lesser powered so it doesn't throw balance out of whack but something else to add to your customization. Make a limit to the number of items you can wield and be able to go to a weapons dealer and just buy them (another way to drain some of the money - many players have way too much already).

Our own version of the Nemesis system would rock.

New powers are fine. Enough of the power prolif. I don't think every AT should have similar powers to all the rest or most. I'd like to see a power armour AT. What happened to the spy AT?

Anyway, they should stop adding what we have and add unique game experiences.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 8:11PM (Unverified) said

As far as spy and power armour, those wouldn't really be AT's; they're character concepts.

Spy could be an AR-or-DP/Devices blaster (for the James Bond direction), or a stalker if you're going for the shinobi type.

Power armour is really more a costume than anything else. Depending on the armour's abilities, it could be a number of ATs, but would probably be most likely a blaster. Hopefully they'll add more powers to the list of those with selectable emanation locations, and that could work pretty well.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 8:50PM Superfan said

Yeah, no, I don't think we have these ATs.

For power armour I am thinking like Iron Man and what they have in Champions Online. Missile launchers (like on the Arachnos flyer etc), gattling guns, laser beams, mounted shoulder guns, long distance missile system etc etc etc.

Spy AT was something they surveyed about and, I am sure, it would be very different than what we have (so I hope).

Just stop adding tons of what we have and truly evolve the game.

Posted: Oct 14th 2010 8:24AM (Unverified) said

I like the DDO-instance idea the most (although all of them are good). I think you are right on with this.... it would open things up. And, call me crazy, but I think DDO does a nice job of capturing 'the epic' with its design.

also, it COULD be used to mark a shift if payment for CoH which imo is long overdue. I don't see this as a 15$ a month game anymore.

Posted: Oct 14th 2010 12:10PM (Unverified) said

Just wanted to add a quick note on the UI customization comment you made on having buff timers and the like. Even though you can't add it to the interface, you can use Herostats to track stats (how much influence have I made so far, what attack did I use the most), add timers (how much longer till Healing Flames is up again, or when does Hasten run out?), and track a few other things (how much longer do I have till I level again if I stay with this group?).

It adds either a large or small window that sits on top of everything on your desktop, so that when you are playing the game, you can still see the window. I place somewhere where I doesn't cover anything critical on my playing screen and keep on playing. It's small enough not to be obtrusive.

I could sit here and write a whole bunch of stuff on what it does, but since I'm at work, I won't. :) Check it out. It helps me out a lot:

Posted: Oct 14th 2010 3:58PM Ragemore said

That wasn't a jab, it was an honest answer, I love CoH/CoV, I hope it run for ten more years, and they continue to add great features.

In fact I wish more MMO's would take notice of manty of the feature they do offer.

But I have recently played both CoH, and Champions Online, and turning the "cell shading", (I dont like the large black line around everything, even though it is a comic book staple), option off in CO, the graphics are just better then CoH. So thats the one I am playing right now.

I do think CoH is a great game, and with a graphics over haul to match the current technology we could see graphics as good as Conan, FFXIV, and I would be back to play.

Or another example, though different genre, is Gran Turismo 5, if we could get that kind of graphical muscle power, every CoH session would be like one of those awesome cut scenes we see for games all the time that are not actually game play, ala Opening movie for Marvel Alliance.

That is what I mean buy a new graphics engine.

Posted: Oct 14th 2010 9:25PM pixelmonkey said

I agree with needing to steal a graphic engine - this game look's soooo dated and bad that the Amish turn their nose up to it... That and an improved combat engine to make the combat faster than a snail race. If they did that then yes... I would keep my sub... Also if they do update the game graphics - learn to optimize it your updates - Ultra mode for what little it does offer comes in at a crippling GPU/CPU cost for some odd reason...

Posted: Oct 15th 2010 4:21PM pixelmonkey said

I think you are missing the point of what Champions and DCUO are doing with graphics - specially Champs. It looks like like Saturday morning superhero cartoon while CoX looks like an Iphone game made in India.

Bottom line I am glad you are so happy with CoX but I for one have moved past the cheap graphics engine and incrediably slow game play - sure it was fun 6 years ago... but that was 6 years ago.

I hope DCUO turns out well - I like the look of it (some of the FX are goofy though) - and the animations still looks stiff and crappy - so I hope the extra time they have polishes this away before launch.