Posted: Oct 12th 2010 2:02PM Seffrid said

I would definitely be interested in this game if it was going to have a PvE server where only consensual PvP was permitted.

I'm not remotely interested in FFA PvP and I don't believe that 95% of MMO players are either. Having "a few safe locations in the game, which will offer content for players who don't want to engage in PvP" simply doesn't cut it, and consigns the game to niche PvP status at best and commercial failure at worst.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 9:36PM Cavadus said

So go play one of the 10,000 MMOs which isn't FFA PvP because as it stands right now us FFA PvPers don't have a science fiction ground based MMO.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 2:47PM Darkstryke said

A sandbox PVE game will never exist because it will rely on content creation from developers to flourish. The only reason Sandbox games work is because of the PVP element that creates content for people to play that doesn't require hundreds of development hours to make.

There can be no heroes if there are no villians.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 2:54PM Jef Reahard said

I'll have to disagree with just about every part of that statement.

Sandbox PvE games do exist. SWG for one, EVE for another (yes it has hardcore PvP, but many people can and do spend their entire careers in the relative safety of high-sec).

Sandbox games work because they allow people to do what they want, not shoehorn them into fighting when they don't want to. Pigeon-holing sandbox games into being about heroes and villains is missing the entire point of their existence.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:13PM eNTi said

minecraft

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:54PM Jef Reahard said

And Earthrise, according to Mr. Atanasov. :p

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 3:00PM Mad Dog said

I cant wait for this game, I love FFA PVP games!!

I play Darkfall at the moment and love that game also.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:12PM SocksForYou said

Liking everything I hear about this game. hoping it really pans out as they describe in interviews.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:14PM eNTi said

i so hope this game won't be 3rd person. :(

the creature in the screenshot looks a lot like:

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:58PM (Unverified) said

Sorry but it is third person.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:16PM End Dream said

This game sounds like heaven. I hope it is not buggy at release. Also, with item insurance and high-sec like areas, this game sounds less hardcore than EVE imo...

I don't understand why everyone is such a wuss about PvP. I like PvE alot but but honestly, grow a pair lol.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:53PM Jef Reahard said

It really has less to do with "growing a pair" than it does a desire to play a sandbox game that isn't a halfway house for angry young men and their anti-social desires. Not all PvP is like that, granted, but unfortunately you have to take the lowest common denominator into account for everything.

Implement PvP with real and lasting consequences and a lot of "carebears" would play it, because it would cut down on the "because-I-can" behavior that infects most PvP communities.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 5:04PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Sounds like you're stereotyping people who like FFA PvP about as much as they stereotype people who don't.

A preference for PvP or PvE doesn't define a person's self worth anymore than a preference for vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

ER is designed to feature PvP. If its not to ones taste then just play something else.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 5:07PM Jef Reahard said

But it's also designed for PvE, as the interview clearly illustrates, so, can't that statement be reversed?

And no, I wasn't stereotyping, I've experienced that behavior in every single FFA game I've played. As I said, not all PvP is like that, but some is, and it must be taken into account.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 10:21PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Just because you've encountered the behavior doesn't necessarily that everyone playing the game exhibits that behavior or are "angry young men" with "anti-social desires". However, what you've done is classified all the players of entire genre based on a limited amount of interaction with players. What is that other than stereotyping?

And are you implying that angry young men with anti social desires aren't found in other game genres?

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 11:15PM Jef Reahard said

Kole, I never used the word "everyone" or any words that connote it. That's an implication that you are attempting to foist onto what I wrote, when I very clearly said that not all PvP is the irritating sort.

There was no "classification of all players of an entire genre," except perhaps in your mind.

I would actually like to see well-done PvP in this game, but because it's an MMO, I am skeptical that it will happen. MMOs that focus on PvP to the exclusion of all else almost universally end in disaster (or like Darkfall and UO, they adapt to PvE to stay in business). The market has proven this, time and again, and I hope the Earthrise devs are smarter than that.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 11:59PM (Unverified) said

As for the potential for a pvp game to succeed, you can list off supposed failures as easily as listing of successes, like Planetside, A focus on PvP doesn't determine success or failure, but rather how its implemented. No particular gamestyle is a guaranteed success or failure.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 12:18AM Jef Reahard said

"So then its just a case of some negative experience when interacting with other players. You can experience the same thing in a game that focuses on PvE."

Sure, you might experience that same thing in a PvE game once every blue moon. In a PvP game though, you're guaranteed to experience it, probably frequently, depending on the implementation. The ability to mess with other people, free of consequence, attracts certain types of people to PvP games. That's just an unfortunate fact of life and has no real analog in PvE games.

But yes, it is a case of a negative experience brought about by the way that some players choose to conduct themselves. On that, we agree.

Posted: Oct 14th 2010 8:51AM (Unverified) said

Actually I find bad behavior more common and more frustrating in PvP-less games. Mob training, kill stealing, scamming via trades, chat channel spamming, trash talking etc.

In a game featuring PvP that stuff can still happen, but instead of being forced to put up with it, you can attack the guy doing it and with some skill be rid of him.

Maybe its a subjective thing. Some people would rather put up with and ignore the stuff I listed above then be jumped by surprise and killed in pvp. To me the former is worse than the latter.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't even know what actions you're attributing to angry young men with anti-social desires.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 4:29PM Draccan said

The video updates are long overdue. What are they hiding??