Posted: Oct 11th 2010 7:50PM Audacious said

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from roleplaying the concept, of course, but I always thought it would be a good idea to have to listen to and even speak with natives of any newly learned tongue in order to speak it yourself "properly." When I did the quest to learn gnollish, for example, the game announced that "I'd learned the basics of gnollish", or something to that affect. Now I figured I probably wouldn't have too many player characters to show off my gnollish to, being a little shy about roleplaying, but if it was anything like the other language primers I bought back in town I figured it was nothing too exciting.

Imagine something like a Froglok struggling to get Elvish just right thanks to a different vocal cord structure or some other contrivance, and relying on daily lessons from a friend to get his enunciation as perfect or near perfect as he could. Again, it's nothing that can't already be roleplayed by a pair of creative players, but I think it would be great as an actual game mechanic, too.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 9:58AM Jef Reahard said

Pretty slick idea, I'd love to see that.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 7:18AM pcgneurotic said

Don't forget another super-cool aspect of learning languages - dozens and dozens of books to place in your home! Say goodbye to empty shelves and hello to cozy reading nooks with carpets, armchairs, and piles of interesting books to read!

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 9:57AM Jef Reahard said

Indeed. I'm not ashamed to admit that more than a few of my gameplay sessions over the years have consisted of curling up with a digital book by the digital fireplace.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 2:50AM pcgneurotic said

Oh sure, yeah, it's great fun. When I discovered that book shop in New Halas, I took my main there and bought one copy of everything I could, then spent ages going over them back home. I also bought the giant steaming bathtub and tree plushie to make a relaxing arboretum in my fireplace, with a stool by the bath and a few lore books for my Froglok Monk to relax with! Reading lore in-game, esp. under such circumstances, is the ultimate in soft RPing. :D

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 9:19AM DarthDan said

"After turning in the quest, you'll be rewarded with the Serilian language ability (or if you're a ratonga, you can skip the whole grinding part and proceed directly to collecting your reward, as noted on the EQ2Wiki and verified by your humble author and his one-eyed ratonga this very afternoon)."

The Ratonga race possesses some special advantage in this case?

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 9:57AM Jef Reahard said

They have a dialog option to automatically learn it and skip the quest grinding part. The lore explanation is that it is a similar language to their native ratonga.