Posted: Oct 11th 2010 7:05PM M1sterLee said

"The GW2 news of late is, of course, all about how ArenaNet plans on implementing armor customization through the use of Transmutation stones you will be able to buy from a cash shop."

I don't know if that was intentional or not but I think you really missed the point about armor customisation in GW2. The transmuation stones are ONE of the ways, players will be able to customise their armor alongside the extremely extensive dye customisation that will be available in-game (i.e. without ever paying extra for it).

I guess it's a bit more sensational to make it sound like you can only do it via a cash-shop item.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 8:30PM Its Utakata stupid said

Yeah, I agree...peeps seem to be really confused about this. I had to explain to someone on his/her blog who was posting entire incorrect information about Transmutation Stones. Which ArenaNet folks took time to qualify what they are:

...so they're not Cryptic Points or gPotatoes. They serve only one specific function. And only one option in what seems multiple ways to customize your character which MrLee just pointed out.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 8:34PM jeremys said

It is a bit questionable. You are right, and that is also why I went over coloring in RoM extensively as well.

To clarify: I was kind of drawing a line between getting the armor piece you wanted, and then coloring that piece.

On both points though, I show how Guild Wars 2's dye system and the Transmutation Stones may be very similar to RoM's aggregators and RoM's coloring system.

Thanks for pointing that out though.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:12PM Skyydragonn said

Odd I don't recall this being a feature when the game luanched, was it a later addition?
Either way its a good reason for me to pick the game up again, as i enjoyed playing it, even if it was a little clunky for new players at times. At the very least it was a well thought out game from the get-go.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 9:36AM benfolds said

Excellent Article and video! Thanks for this! It is nice to know your character can look different from most others, unlike in World of Warcraft as you point out. I really started down my MMO path with WOW, and love the game, but customization was never a strong suit with it. Everyone eventually looks the same. I wish they would get on the player housing thing as well. Runes does that right IMO. With LOTRO, the only thing I disagree with is paying an "Upkeep" for your housing. Runes gives it to you up front, no fuss.

I don't get to play Runes as much as I would like, cause I have a full plate of other MMOs thanks to being a devoted reader of Massively (you guys have truly corrupted me) but I appreciate the insight that you bring.

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM