Posted: Oct 11th 2010 9:26PM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately, the previous 6 months and next 6 months of overall balancing and game mechanics changes are -because- of the cash shop. The cash shop is what makes Allods suck, it's not that hard to figure out.

Until that changes, Allods will remain a slowly failing niche title.

Here's a question for all those that think Allods & Astrum Nival & gFailtato are doing it right:

Would you play Allods if there was a monthly sub option, PvP only in the Astral Ships (PvE-only otherwise), no cash shop, and no stupidly bizarre death mechanics?

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 9:40PM Beau Hindman said

I actually asked about subscriptions, but subs were not going to happen. They are, after all, a free-to-play publisher. Also, "slowly falling niche title" just isn't accurate. There is a lot more to come, as she pointed out, and the mechanic is actually working out on the positive side.

It doesn't take but a few passes of the forums or even a few interviews with players in-game to see that the "issue" isn't an "issue" for many players. In fact, for every forum post that talked of an issue, there are players backing up the opposite. One player described it to me today as "a crutch" (his words, not mine, but I get what he meant) for players that want the short cuts (time-savers) that the cash shop provides, and yet might not be able to afford or want to pay for them.

In fact, several players described it to me like that -- the prices in real money and and in-game money are very small, or very easy to obtain. These reasons and this evidence, talking with people like Tara, as well as logging into the game to see a very vibrant and active community are why I believe that the game is on the right path. I just follow the evidence.

Beau

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:09PM (Unverified) said

From what I've seen there are exactly two "vibrant" communities in game, in Allods, today.

1) Those who haven't yet hit level 25, and are still shiny noobs. (typically the level 1-10 crowd). Ooh, aah. new textures. new particle effects! /swoon

2) Those that have spent thousands of dollars on their characters to buy runes to remain competitive at max level.

Sorry Beau, I just don't see how a game that thrives on punitive mechanics requiring RL money can last. While it's true there is a sucker born every minute, that's a very poor business model if they're your only customers.

( and if your response is that it doesn't require RL money "technically", forcing players to buy the items with in-game gold that cost RL money from other players is nothing but a big bag of fail, and you know it. It's not like players aren't going to price gouge. They are. They do. )

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:47PM (Unverified) said

I was so close to giving Allods another go with Beau's defense, but r2d242 reminded me of why I left in the first place.

I don't mind paying for little time-savers, but when you're forced to pay constantly to prevent long times doing frustrating activities in order to actually progress, then that takes away from my enjoyment of the game, which is the reason I want to play it in the first place.

I'm redownloading, though, just to see how much of a difference it is now, but I doubt it will be worth staying.

You never know, though~

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 1:26AM Its Utakata stupid said

I was going to say something to the effect of that that jury still being out whether Beau follows the evidence or cherry picks it. But I thought I better not...

...instead I will simply state the obvious by saying how much better this game would be if not for such a punishing cash shop mechanics. And how much more customers there would likely be playing Allods if this where the case.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 6:55AM archipelagos said

If Allods was subbed, or perhaps had the same pricing structure as Guild Wars, I would probably be playing it. I'm glad that there are people playing and enjoying the game, as Beau pointed out, but I'm confident that it's absolutely nothing in comparison to the numbers that would have been playing it had the cash shop been implemented properly.

Allods, to me, will always be remembered as that game with the well-deserved buzz that suddenly and apocalyptically nuked the fridge whilst jumping over a row of sharks. Dam shame.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 9:47PM Liltawen said

I once took a tarot class from Lon DuQuette and made my own CGI/LightWave set so I'll probably give Iris a spin. Sounds totally weird.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:09PM Toggit said

I'm most interested here by Iris and Luna (I have played neither at this point) being skewed towards a female audience. Knowing that Tera has definitely chased me as a female gamer away with their creepy upskirt shots, etc. what do Iris and Luna use to entice me (hopefully not upjockeyshorts shots)? Now I simply must download them to find out.

I'm curious as to how many things that draw me into MMOs are shared by male/female gamers without gender preference and what things many girl MMO gamers share that men don't. I wonder if the industry even knows how to lure me in as a female gamer? Is there research? I remain ignorant but curious.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 1:50AM Its Utakata stupid said

As well as that, my question also concerns this...

Beau Hindman wrote inpart:

"Some cards will be required for entry to themed dungeons, such as the 'Lover's Dungeon' that will need male/female couples to survive together in order to complete it."

What if couples are male/male or female/female? I find the current pigeon holing of that game's "Lover's Dungeon" requirement off putting to say the least.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 6:53AM Beau Hindman said

I didn't ask specifically about F/F or M/M combinations to complete the dungeon. I imagine that the smartest thing to do would be to wait until it comes out soon, explore it a bit, and complain constructively about the dungeon.

I'll guarantee that if it was brought up here, than it will be brought up elsewhere. I know I would support same-sex participation! Of course, like anything, it would only change if we tell 'em! :) The cool thing about these games we love is that they can change for the better!

Beau

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 2:04PM Its Utakata stupid said

Well...I guess that's something. Thanks for following that up, Beau.

...and sorry Marie, if this point of inquirey derailed yours. It wasn't intended. :(

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 2:42PM Toggit said

No, s'all good. I agree with your concern.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:18PM (Unverified) said

the patch that killed the game was mostly the same patch the Russians got. everyone in the community knew it would kill the game, and it did. the cash shop is needed to play the game and therefore its a pay to play advertising it as a free 2 play title. but i wouldn't blame gpotato fully. astrum nival, the developer, has control of the game play mechanics.

i agree with r2d242. the cash shop killed it. greed won. they lost a lot of would-be paying players that will not come back.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:34PM (Unverified) said

I would have loved to talk about the massive deficiencies of the gameplay in Allods. They kinda banned me for even talking about it though.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 12:05AM Pingles said

I had actually come up with some questions for Beau but could not figure out the email to send it to. The FEEDBACK button is a generic comment system and clicking on STAFF just leads to a blank http:// for Beau.

Anyhow, I would have liked to know what changes are in store for Allods (fishing for a Cash shop reevaluation comment) and what they are doing to try and bring in more players (fishing for general population comments).

I am truly curious whether Allods is working for them. If this system is profitable then I likely will give up on the game. I am following the game closely in the hopes that they revisit cash shop mechanics.

The CURSE system is far deeper than she insinuated. There are daily quests in Allods that give pretty good item loot. When the item is green quality everything is fine. But... EVERY BLUE QUALITY item I have received has been Cursed. That's a Quest reward. Cursed. I have a backpack full of Cursed items because the vendors won't even take them as sellback.

There is also the problem of perfumes. They debuffed ALL player damage in the game (not mob damage) and you can use perfumes to get the damage back. In other words if you want to do the same damage you used to do you need a cash shop item.

Sorry, I'm not doing it.

I'm just waiting patiently until they rethink this.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 8:21PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I'm sorry but beggers can't be choosers. You see, that chest is a free piece of loot everyday... for doing nothing. Now if its a green piece, nothing is wrong, and you don't complain. How do you expect them to keep the servers running if no one ever hands them any money. WoW expects 15 dollars every month and you cant even do everything on one character. Allods doesn't ask for anything, it just offers a few perks that you may choose for a character. You don't ever even need to touch that chest and you could get by just fine.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 1:37AM Its Utakata stupid said

"How do you expect them to keep the servers running if no one ever hands them any money."

Make the game more forgiving, fun and attractive to potentaialy paying players, Xanaxx.

...and less apologist arguements for it's current state. They tend drive away customers instead. Just saying...

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 1:39AM Its Utakata stupid said

*potentially...

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 5:34AM Dranaerys said

How do they keep the servers Running? Maybe by encouraging you to purchase actual CONTENT and not mechanics to ensure your character runs at 100% efficiency? I keep on saying it, they should look at the Turbine Model. It works brilliantly well, people dont feel punished for playing, and in fact will be mroe willing to spend cash than in a game like Allods, where you feel like every dime you spend is moeny you are being cheated out of.

Until this core philosophy changes, I will not be touching any gPotato game. I'd rather give my money to the likes of Turbine.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 7:21AM Beau Hindman said

Pingles:

If you look at my regular columns, (Rise and Shiny and Free for All) the information at the end of every column gives my Twitter, Raptr and email address. :)

Beau