Posted: Oct 11th 2010 10:46AM OmegaTwig said

First off there is a self destruct feature, it however takes 2 minutes after activation before you blow up (No mods are dropped and there is no wreck to salvage afterwards...) However based on the general nature of Suicide Ganks and the response time of Concord in Hi-Sec (And the fact that his Pally had an active tank over a buffer tank) I'm willing to bet that the whole attack took place in less than 2 minutes.

Also Concord is NOT the people who insure your ships. The "Cops" and the "Bank" are different as they are also in real life. However unlike real life you do not go to Jail for your "crime" because the "justice" (if you will) is dispensed right there on the spot when they blow up your ship and you lose Sec-Status. Like RL however if you do too many bad things they wont let you come back and the cops will shoot you on sight if your Sec-Status is too low. (Then you have to buy your ships somewhere other than Jita and they end up costing more, akin to having to pay more for insurance)

Also the ships have forcefields so unfortunately you can not damage another spaceship by running into it... I _REALLY_ wish you could though...

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 10:51AM OmegaTwig said

Bah... This was supposed to be a response to (31) Scuffles...

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:32AM Ergonomic Cat said

For EVE players - is there anything he could have done to defend better? Or was it sheer overwhelming force that killed him?

And put me in the "this is why EVE rocks" camp. CCP is certainly losing some players from stuff like this but they're certainly keeping more of the ones they have happy. Which is a better plan I think. I'd rather have 10 large No he games over a giant bland game (and no that's not an attack on WoW).

Re: The fixing aclassic car comparison. It's more like building a classic muscle car, taking it to the strip to race, doing great for two seasons, then crashing it because some guy nicked your tire on purpose to pass you.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:33AM Ergonomic Cat said

No he == niche. Phone KB + autocorrect.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 11:50AM DrewIW said

He could have stayed aligned and warped out as soon as people warped into his mission.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 12:00PM Ergonomic Cat said

If that's the case then I have no issue with this at all. He knew the risks and accepted them, a group worked hard to take him out, and it wasn't a situation he had zero control over. GG to the tankers and GG to the pilot for understanding that he made more than he lost (plus, presumably, he enjoyed using the ship while he had it). EVE widens the MMO-space, so it's inherently useful even for those of us that just read about it and play the trial from time to time.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:19PM grammarye said

Strictly he lost his ship to a gatecamp (albeit a speedily assembled one, kudos for that) so his options were 'go through anyway and hope' (which he did), 'dock up/log out and wait' (perhaps the system had no stations), or 'go out through a different gate' (potentially he may not have had any choice, depending on the system & route). Both alternatives that don't involve running the gatecamp are a matter of patience and time for both parties, and sometimes you don't get the option.

It's the risk you take. Fly what you can afford to lose is exactly the motto of EVE as others have mentioned. Personally if I'd had wind of a gang following my expensive ship, I'd at least have docked up and scouted the gate in a pod first (which is not worth the suicide). Again, a matter of patience.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 12:13PM (Unverified) said

HA-HA (Nelson, The Simpsons.)

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:35PM grammarye said

I am honestly not sure where all the comments re. anti-casual or anti-carebear come from when dealing with EVE. EVE is practically as closely founded on NOT shooting each other as it is about shooting each other. Look at the player-run economy - every day thousands of players trade with complete strangers, sometimes bitter enemies.

If an actor without support is naked trying to emote in the dark, PvP combat pilots without some industrial base (which need not directly be theirs) are in rookie ships shouting PEW at each other. The massive player-run industrial/economic machine in high-sec combined with the pretty large alliance-run industrial processes produce almost everything. There are pilots who have never shot anything more dangerous than an asteroid, and combat pilots with any brains know they depend on such people. Without them, EVE would not exist.

The big issue with EVE isn't PvPer vs PvEer - nothing is ever so clear cut. EVE is run on PvE. Ask the majority of alliance space holders where their income comes from and they'll tell you it's NPC bounties in some form, along with industrial processes selling T2 or T3.

The big issue is about accepting risk & perhaps more importantly, managing risk. Arguably the title of this article should be 'pilot lost small percentage of assets to well organised suicide attack - pilot is reported as not caring too much'. Attitude is everything.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 2:04PM Aetrix said

The people with little to no EVE experience rage, while the victim himself laughs it off. I say congratulations to the pirates and much respect for the victim.

You guys think an expensive loss is a tragedy? Being able to afford such a loss is the hallmark of any EVE pilot's career.

With new content patches every couple of months making your gear irrelevant, I'd figure you WOW players wouldn't be so attached to your belongings...

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 8:00PM (Unverified) said

The game is broken since there is no legitimate bounty hunting system. The game works in favor of ganking and is not neutral towards them..

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 1:14AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
A game with corporations "Honorless Internet Jerks" getting news coverage? Really?

Seems like many of the articles about this game reports somebody getting screwed in game.

Good luck getting more subscribers EVE.

I will save myself the certain inevitable anquish of being another in game victim and play something else.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 3:30AM (Unverified) said

The total amount destroyed was 37 billion by the way, with each of the gankers getting about 2.6 billion each.
I know this because I was one of those responsible for it.

As to all people that complain about it, go play hello kitty online.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 12:04PM Arkanaloth said

I must admit.. it's not so much a complaint as an observation. The thought of losing 1200$ would make me throw up... I know me and how much I hate PVP, which is why you'll never find me in EVE... however, if you ever pick up GuildWars or FF14 look me up.

People should do their research, the rules of EVE are clearly stated, and a simple google search on the game will bring up tons of info. Something I never understood was people who play PVP servers and PVP games and literally start yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs when the player base gives them the PVP they clearly wanted by stepping into that sandbox.

So yeah it was a heinous, dirty, vile act of piracy... I salute you and the coordination of your teams... But I'll never play that game because I know you guys and more like you are out there. ^_~

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 12:20PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
EVE is one of those games where the hype surrounding it far exceeds its reality. An article like this would make it seem that EVE is a nail-biting, exciting experience.

In reality...it's Nerds in Space, jerking off to Excel spreadsheets.

Posted: Oct 12th 2010 7:33PM O Hawk said

HA this is nothing, this only made the news because it was a high sec gank. I would invite people to look at eve-kill.net and look at the titan kills and other super capital kills. In fact look up shrike who has lost well over 200 billion isk in ships no problem.

Applaud the guy for taking the gank with grace, brushing it off and getting back out there to fight again.

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The mantra, say it with me now,

Posted: Oct 13th 2010 11:56AM Arkanaloth said

that sux... EVE is such a pretty game, but it's stories like these that remind me why I never got past the trial. Think I'll be sticking to my PVE games cause this is just heinous... I'm not the one that got hammered and just reading the article of the loss almost makes me want to be sick.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014