Posted: Oct 11th 2010 9:07AM Aganazer said

Well said, very well said.

And what you said is only one side of the coin. The risks and threats not only create accomplishment, they also create community. It makes relationships matter since you're not some anonymous figure in an invulnerable little cocoon. Both the good guys and the bad guys need to band together and stay together. The threats present cause player to seek out other like minded players.

There are consequences to your actions. Just compare the rampant jerkitude on the internet compared to how people treat each other face to face. The same differences apply in EVE. Don't fool yourself into believing that the suicide gankers will get away without repercussion. Even now I bet there are MANY mercenary corporations and hundreds of players that will even the score. If that guy could afford a 30 billion ISK ship I would assume he has deep enough pockets to make life very miserable for those gankers. In the mean time I am sure he will simply step into any one of a few dozen other battleships he has and carry on with business as usual.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:35PM Streamweaver said

I'll put the opening offensive statement aside.

The majority of players in Eve are bright and fun to play with. The economy is highly player effected but in the end it's not player driven. The basis for ISK in the game isn't players, it's NPC pirate bounties and Mission Rewards. This is the ground level of all ISK in the game and is magically produced by the server.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:34PM x0fx3 said

• Half a heart
So you have a beautiful looking game vs pvp, scams and now wannabe suicide bombers. Whats questionable is a company that supports these types of degenerate behaviors.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:37PM (Unverified) said

No one would suicide gank a T2 fit ship in EVE. It is very easy to fly below the radar and never risk being a victim. On the other hand, it is way more fun to play on the edge for many EVE pilots. You should probably stay away based on your post.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 7:06AM Dirame said

Most if not all the suicide gankers dont kill without reason, you either have something valuable they can kill you for or you don't and you can go free. Piracy is a profession in Eve and Solarius was just another victim that was worth a lot. He had 30billion isk on that ship, at least 10bil worth of stuff would have dropped from his wreck therefore making him a good target.

If Solareus really didn't want them to gain any of the stuff he had on his ship, all he needed to do was overheat his modules and hit the self destruct. That would make most of the modules in his ship destroyed and the rest in need of repair.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 7:16AM x0fx3 said

So what is the point in having the good stuff? If you can't use it because you have to hide it at the station to prevent people from coming after you?

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:46PM Its Utakata stupid said

This is one aspect I never quite unerstood about Eve. If you get enough of this ISK to get these super snazzy ships and quip to the nines. But don't fly them because your afraid to ganked by the less scrupulous and griefers and/or because you made a "bad choice." So do you folks just fly around in crappy expendible ships in everything you do in Eve to cut your potential losses? And only link your best ships in chat when you feel like showing off?

It kinda seems to defeat the purpose of game progression, IMO. Perhaps I am missing something entirely. :(

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:52PM motorun said

Ships aren't giant glowing shoulder pads, they're tools. They are used as such. If an expensive ship is the needed tool then its used.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:45AM Its Utakata stupid said

Um...yeah, enkrypt ...

...but according to Aniwata, that violates the Golden Rule of EVE:

"Never fly anything you can not afford to lose"

...thus, you're not going to fly something espensive even if it's a tool because you can risk losing it. Therefore, it seems to becomes this catch 22 issue where nothing really progresses ingame....because everyone is afraid of losing something. So like I said, I think I am missing something here. :(

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 2:25AM (Unverified) said

The missing part is enjoying the fact that consequences exist and you cannot look at ships and their components as simple progression. Ships can definitely be status symbols, but anyone can be humbled into remembering their status symbols are fragile. The depth of choice and consequence won't appeal to everyone, but that is the appeal of this game. It is very different than what most other MMOs offer, although this has also contributed to EVE's steady success. EVE will always be relatively niche, but I have a feeling it still has a lot of room to grow.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 2:28AM Phantom Slave said

The golden rule of EVE is there to remind you to use tools you can afford. People risk ships every day worth much more than the articles Marauder, because those people can afford to replace the ship if its lost. That's what the rule means. If you fly a 500 mil isk ship, you should have 500 mil isk in your wallet to ensure that if you lose your ship you can get it back.

The player in the article followed that rule. He said in the article that it was just a drop in a bucket and he'd be able to replace it completely if he wanted to.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 2:52PM Its Utakata stupid said

Thank you Krak and Phant0m51 for replying to my inquirey in earnest. To be upfront, I started to suspect as much...but I wasn't really entirely sure. So that's why I asked. And now I understand the game dynamics a little better because of that. :)

Thus I'm a little surprised this made Massively article news...when the player was playing by that golden rule anyhow. It would of been a little different if the entire EVE economy collasped over this. But no such thing ever happened...so it's not really news. It's seems to be on par for the course. /shrug

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 12:34AM cray said

I see it from the other angle, The guy had a nice 7 year run. You can't say that often in a sandbox MMO. Solarius knew there was a risk of losing everything, but you never know when its going happen to you.

We should be applauding his run, and his achievement of having built a 30 billion ISK ship. That's no easy task.

But we should also be sad for him, That's a lot time invested.

We shouldn't be ridiculing a guy for his love for MMO gaming. That's passion and dedication and showing your love for EVE. Doesn't matter if he made a foolish mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, anyone can make that mistake.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:08AM fairyfay said

i did enjoy my time in eve. but the fact that all the missions are all the same in the way that wows are. the worst part is that all your skills are time based. and they start taking days and days and days before they complete. dont get me wrong, eve is very fun and a gorgeous game at that. the pvp action and crazyness is what got me into the game in the first place, or maybe after the wonderful space views.

either way he said he has enough money to build another ship of the same stature. playing the game for as long as he did i applaud him and all the effort he has put in.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:15AM Song7 said

This is kinda like restoring a muscle car over a few years only to have it stolen and sent to a chop shop.

Though, restoring a car costs far more than playing this game. Still kind of a bummer.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:47AM (Unverified) said

EVE is a pretty cool game, if you like sitting in dock queing skills for the first 3 months you "play".

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:49AM Devoid said

It is fun getting in to high cost ships in Eve. I personally do all of my PvE in a 3.5 billion isk ship in 0.0 wormhole space and I have under 17mil SP. Lol i've even attacked people in that ship. Just because people will blow you up if they think they can make a profit off of it does not mean everyone is a foaming at the mouth tard looking to grief. Though i find those guys amusing as well.

Part of the fun is the risk. It's easy to beat NPC's over and over again. When you have to watch for players at the same time it all becomes much more interesting. You know not every person wants to play their games on easy difficulty.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 1:54AM GaaaaaH said

I would've expected Brendan to have seen in when people were laughing at it when it originally happened weeks ago

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 2:09AM (Unverified) said

Much of the fun in EVE is derived from not knowing how a situation is going to turn out and the fact that every action has some risk associated with it. This is a game about taking risks.. enjoy it! I find myself on the shallow end of the pool where risks are concerned in EVE as I do PVE a lot. However, the fact that I do have to consider what I'm flying and whether or not I am persuading others in the game to look at me like a giant floating loot pinata, confirms the depth of choice and freedom this game allows. The inherent risk in EVE is a core principle in the game's design philosophy and there is a much more mature balance in that dynamic (hi/low/null sec, etc) than other PVP centric games seem to achieve. If you merely think people are being dicks by blowing up a 30 billion isk ship, you may not enjoy the risk and tension that EVE focuses on. There are many different types of MMOs I enjoy (wow being one of them), but to enjoy EVE's own unique merit, you need to step out of the standard MMO context and appreciate the choices (and subsequent risks) it offers.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 2:18AM Danieros said

The player was aware of the risk, in fact, he used that outfit for enough time to have succeeded in the risk vs reward. He says he can purchase another ship and fit exactly like that if we wanted (in the linked eve article).

I see nothing wrong here, in fact, that seems to have been a great success. His mistake was keeping the same pattern of action as said he was stalked for two days before the group was assembled for the attempt. Taking a ship like that before CONCORD blows all of you up isn't easy.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM