Posted: Oct 11th 2010 7:25AM (Unverified) said

I'm pretty sure that far most of the people who attacked him lost their ships as well. The thing is that in high-sec, a lot of navy ships (NPC's) arrives after a relatively short time, attacking all of the offenders, and they are tough to come around! Also, once you have committed a crime like this, the navy will attack you on sight until you have been shot down. This also means that there has to be something to gain before you attack another player in high-sec, and a new, or even relatively new (as in 10 hours a week for a year) is rarely worth the risk. Another thing is that once you have an expensive ship, it usually doesn't take too long to earn the amount of ISK you spent on the ship, so buying another is often an option IF you are unlucky enough to be shot down. In my opinion they have made the game work nicely. Another thing to remember when you are playing EVE is never to sell your old ship when you buy a new one, so you always have a backup should you end up the loser in a fight.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 5:52PM (Unverified) said

These comments are clearly not EVE players so let me bring you a little up to speed.

1- No there is NO safe place in EVE, but for the most part there are areas you are probably going to be left alone.

2- This guy played long enough to accumulate a fortune that makes his ship replaceable, he is playing the game for free by using ingame currency to buy game time from other players. 30 billion only sounds like a lot to people who play other games; it was no where near his net worth.

3- If you were to start playing EVE you wouldnt be worth a suicide attack like this for a long time. Frankly most of us never will be worth it. Solarius is kind of a big deal. I hope he sets a bounty on each and every person who participated in the attack and laughs as their friends consider stabbing them in the back. Yeah, honorable play is kind of a big deal because you can't trust the truly ambitious and having friends is a must. EVE isnt about space or ships or money, its about striking that balance between aggression and cooperation.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 10:17PM (Unverified) said

"Players are almost forced to compete with each other in a ruthless open sandbox where all the rules are thrown out the window."

not forced.....CHOSE
the rules were in effect when he fitted that ship....pilots fault, his alone.

gf gf ~_^ nice haul

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 5:04PM wcanyon said

Yeah that part of the article makes no sense. How can a game not have rules? If it didn't have rules it wouldn't be a game.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 10:19PM (Unverified) said

"Hi-Sec" is essentially the policed area of Eve, but committing a crime in "Hi-Sec" you take a security hit, as well as you'll prob lose your ship as well. But if you are flying a 300mil ship, and see the opportunity to destroy a ship worth 30bil and gain some of the loot as well, why not?

The golden rule in Eve:

"Never fly anything you can not afford to lose"

People that live by that rule understand anything can, and will happen. People that do not, cry about it.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 10:47PM Tizmah said

Not much reward for doing good things in this game is there.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 10:55PM JediPagan said

You're wrong. There are limitless rewards.

EVE is a sandbox game. Like real life, there are risks to every choice you make.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:20PM DrewIW said

Chribba has a personal Titan fleet.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:28PM Scuffles said

I wouldn't say no reward for doing good things as much as there is no real punishment for being a total prick.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 12:04AM Its Utakata stupid said

Um...that's stretching it a bit Caldruid. Putting aside that we can't fly around in spaceships and blow each other up. EVE may have some aspects that are similar to certain aspects of risk in real life, depending on what you're doing, where you are and how nuts you are. But most of life isn't actually like that. It's much more nurturing and fostering. Perhaps why many find the brutallity in this game shocking. /shrug

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 10:53PM Streamweaver said

• 1 heart
This kind of thing happens in Eve, I have a hard time believing the player who got ganked couldn't have prevented it somehow. They probably felt safe and cocky.

Anyway, I do wish people would stop calling Eve a sandbox game. It's not.

If it were a true sandbox game the idiocy would leave to anarchy until nothing was able to get produced or harvested and nobody would be able to make or buy anything. The game prevents things from breaking down to this point.

Eve has sandbox elements yes but it's a game of least common denominators, not a sandbox game.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:12PM Orvidos said

I'll go ahead and call bullshit on that one.

The players prevent it from falling into anarchy. The player driven economy is a great example of this.

Now, if every was a morally ojectionable, low-life, brainless thug that people outside the game seem to think EVE players are, then yes, it would degenerate into people in frigates throwing rocks at each other. If they chose to allow it to do so (the players).

The players in EVE, for the majority, are smarter than this. It won't happen, not because of game modifiers, but because of player choice.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:57PM Eamil said

I think you have a far too rigid definition of what is and isn't a "sandbox game."

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 12:22AM Streamweaver said

@Orvidos Sorry but I disagree with you, you'll forgive me if I don't return the explitive. What keeps Eve from falling into Anarchy is the fact that ISK is ultimately based on NPC Bounties and Mission Rewards. The economy is most heavily shaped by players but it's driven by faucet and sink factors like every other MMO.

@x(wai)x Fair enough for an opinion but I obviously disagree with you. I think it's fair to use sandbox in a general sense about Eve and it has a lot of sandbox features. What I think it out of context though is the constant drumbeat of referrers to Eve as 'sandbox'. It's a constant statement and too many articles justify anything that happens in Eve because of it's 'sandbox' nature. The truth is that it isn't a complete sandbox and since it's not completely a sandbox you can't argue that any action is allowable.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:07PM Scuffles said

Do I feel for the guy because he lost some insane amount of money .... to an extent ..... Do I laugh at him for putting himself in a position to lose said insane amount of money ..... again, to an extent. Would I congratulate the pirates in the event that I was in on the action..... probably.

Personally if I was an "Immortal Spacekateer" I'd have everything on my ship rigged to blow to ensure that no one would benefit in the event of my temporary death but hey thats just me. On the other hand If I was an insurance entity spanning multiple solar systems throughout known space .... I sure as hell wouldn't insure "spacekateers" I deemed to be through their own actions to be "High risk" (EG Suicide Pirates).

Sorry if the latter half of that sounds all carebear but seriously how many real life car accidents do you need to be the cause of before no legitimate insurance company will touch you with a ten foot pole?

Actually that might be a better move for CCP than the whole plex cash shop, Just the capacity to get your account blacklisted by the insurance NPCs. So players will start having to have multiple accounts as a public face and as their true seedy nature.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:07PM Mystal said

I'm laughing at all the people who are outraged about this attack. EVE is a cutthroat game where you can't avoid PvP. Even if you personally don't understand it, any one who can actually afford a 30 billion dollar ship can certainly understand it quite well. If a CEO is flying around with such an expensive ship then he can either afford it, or he's an idiot.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:11PM Noah K said

Didn't CONCORD show up?

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:13PM Orvidos said

Hence why it is a 'suicide attack'

They presumably had a hauler/frigate nearby that didn't get involved and just scooped the loot.

Posted: Oct 10th 2010 11:20PM Somnicide said

I dont play EvE, and never plan to due to my dislike for space combat in general, but I think that most of the carebears are missing the point of EvE. The very fact that you are even able to do things such as this is the reason people play the game. Everyone playing understands that this isnt World of Candyland. You are expected to die, and you should expect to lose a lot of your stuff. This sense of loss is the allure. It is what allows this game to do things that no other MMO can (or, no other developer is ballsy enough to do.)

Without that sense of loss, deaths are meaningless. Without the punishment of failure, victories are simply inevitabilities not accomplishments. When everything is handed to you, you arent forced to get stronger and take it. Admittedly, casuals usually dont care for that. They just want to have relaxing, stress free fun. Thats fine. But some people want more than a never ending treadmill of pats of the back from their MMOs.

If World of Darkness is handled anything like EvE, sign me up here and now.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 2:09AM Its Utakata stupid said

I don't know about that. I prefer more carrot than stick. It motivates me far more. And peeps who know me, know I am not a "casual" by any stretch.

So you can't claim punishment is a better motivator. And I'm *quite sure much of EVE is not just about punishment. But you can claim that the game is not for everyone because of higher risks involved. And I suspect it depends on whether the player has more fight or flight instincts and how he or she involves that.

*Note: Although admittedly the jury is still out as to how, until I get the answer I might be looking for to my inquirey about EVE's golden rule below.

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM