Posted: Oct 8th 2010 8:33AM lizardbones said

The biggest would have been the nerf to Beast Mastery Hunters. However, I just played a different spec on my hunter and enjoyed the game anyway.

Pick a change or update to the game and there is a storm of protest, and all of the changes, good or bad end up being not as big a deal as they are made out to be by the vocal players.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 8:35AM (Unverified) said

Sparkle ponies... turns out selling things in a cash shop that make you look retarded isn't that big of a deal.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 12:42PM Rilgon said

I just think it's hilarious that most people I know were chomping at the bit to get one... up until they found its origins, then suddenly it's "OMFG THAT RETARDED HORSE" or whatever.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 9:08AM Aganazer said

Incarna

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 9:31AM J Brad Hicks said

Enhancement Diversification in City of Heroes. My specific worry was that they were nerfing a lot of powers that people needed in order to survive in PvE, which (it seemed to me) the game could only survive if they rebalanced every single NPC in the entire game and got it right on the first try. It also didn't help that this was the first time that the developers of that game completely and utterly mismanaged the job of making the case for what they were doing to the subscribers, one of the only two times they did. But it did work out, and in the long run the game absolutely was better off for it.

(On the other hand, the second time, when they mass-nerfed whole swaths of the powers system for PvP and again utterly failed to make the case for it to the subscribers before going ahead with it, was an even bigger disaster than I had predicted.)

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 10:39AM Heraclea said

The change that worried me most in City of Heroes was the addition of the Invention System, which essentially added loot to a game that was almost free from loot previously.

Now I think all loot systems should be more similar to the one in CoH. In that game, loot is handed out randomly. Team and raid leaders get no say in it, and it is infinitely transferrable for the price of a respec; very little ever becomes bound to a single character there. This scheme allows loot without loot drama.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 8:17PM Valdamar said

That's the exact same thing that worried me, Heraclea - I thought adding loot to CoH was going to ruin the game (in fact I took a break just before I9 and didn't come back until just before I12), but in truth it's one of the things that has kept me subscribed to CoH as it added so much more depth to character progression.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 9:40AM TheJackman said

I was worried about all the class changes in patch 4.01 of WoW but look like my class will be more fun to play now!

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 10:08AM Mirin said

I remember when everyone was all upset over this NGE thing in SWG. See silly reactionaries, that turened out to be... Oh wait

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 11:50AM (Unverified) said

Ironically that ended up boosting their number for a few months....its almost as if they KNEW it would make them money! Conspiracy!
I actually quit the game long before the NGE, but my roommate at the time was so certain because he quit that meant everyone else did too I had to do a little research. Their subs went up by a sizable amount after the dust settled, of course dropping off again months later after the new game experience smell wore off hehe. Anyways after I showed him the little article he got so mad at me he didnt talk to me for the rest of the day ;)

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 4:26PM Mirin said

@danarchy : That may be true but its doesn't change the fact that they blew up a perfectly wonderful gaming experience in favor of a backasswards wow model that would take 5 years to iron out and become playable.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 10:11AM happyfish said

I was pretty apprehensive about the new f2p model in Lotro. Turns out its brought a lot of people in the game and the new zone/reworked instances are a lot of fun.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 10:58AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
sadly, all the changes I've been worried about in a MMO turned out to be even worse than expected

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 11:54AM (Unverified) said

I have always played Shamans in any game that had them. I can say without a bit of over exaggeration that they are the most nerfed class in mmo history. It hasn't always been a bad change though, in eq1 the regen nerfs actually ended up driving off a number of good weather shamans and led to me getting far more groups later on. In daoc though it ended the game for me.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 1:12PM drakon said

If you ever played DAoC, shamans got the shaft from release there. Yes they are doing well now, but in the beginning they had crappy buffs, very little damage, and extremely sub-par healing.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 1:18PM drakon said

DOH! I missed the "In daoc though it ended the game for me." last part lol

I was one of the few people who played a shaman at release as a non buff bot. It sucked trying to get from 45 - 50 solo because no one wanted a shaman not spec'd for buffs.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 1:18PM (Unverified) said

oh man i totally forgot about shamans in DAOC! thanes also got way nerfed early as i remember

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 1:54PM drakon said

The Thane was the other class I played. They were hit by Mythic's huge nerfhammer when they swung it at healers for the "stunguard" problem.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

Funny you should mention that hehe...
At one point I actually had two accounts with two shaman. One, my "Main" was specced for aoe dot etc, my second was my buff bot and solo heal bot. After the aoe got nerfed into uselessness (no longer stacked with another shamans, so one shaman per rvr group...) I played a skald for quite awhile until they released trials of atlantis and I simply did not have the free time to keep up and be viable in rvr.
Speaking of changes that did not go well...Trials of Atlantis took a great game that could be played equally well by both semi casual and hardcore players and turned it into "Hardcore=win, Casual=Cannon fodder".

Plagues-shaman
Limper-skald
Goblyn-SM

mid galahad

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 1:45PM doublerainbow said

• 1 heart
I fell under the impression that I was a hardcore WoW player because I played my warrior for up to 14 hours a day at one time. Also because I was looking to learn how to optimize my dps, hit, and other issues I was expereincing.

I suppose however that the truly hardcore use all those crazy UI addons for Raids and Heroics. They also care waaaaay more then i do at all about that extra 2% dps boost.

I guess what I am trying to say is basically that I thought my opinion was important cause I felt hardcore. Then again as of Beta Build 13117 I couldn't even down the first boss of Heroic SFK after 12 tries with a few different groups.

Blizzard removed my elitist satisfaction of feeling important, as if I was more important than others who played much less. In all honesty I am having more fun playing Command and Conquer 3 again.

Most of the mystery about WoW was what kept me playing. Now the mystery is completely removed. I am not important either :(

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM