Posted: Oct 8th 2010 3:37PM Darkdust said

• 1 heart
No specific app deserves special treatment. If the developers no longer have the time and motivation to keep investing the energy and effort needed, it's time for it to die.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 4:01PM pcgneurotic said

It looked to me less like it was for lack of enthusiasm on Caps' part than a failure between them and CCP to work out a kosher business deal that would allow it to continue to grow whilst making its devs some sandwich money. Which is a shame, but hey, life goes on and things change, maybe we'll see it back again one day.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 4:01PM Kronossan said

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks exactly that.

I've personally tried Capsuleer and compared it to Aura on my own android phone and must say I prefer Aura by far. I'm just subscribed to an rss feed of the blogpack in google reader so I don't have to miss out on that either.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 4:12PM Brendan Drain said

I completely agree, Darkdust. From Oveur's response, it looks like CCP is moving toward a deal that all app-programmers can make use of rather than a singular deal with the Capsuleer team. There are a lot of really good apps and tools out there, and the developers of all of them would benefit from having a fair way to make money off it. The fact that they failed to keep the Capsuleer guys in the loop is terrible, but doing a deal with only one app programmer could be just as bad.

Hopefully this means that when CCP are done with the new system for third party apps, we'll get some new tools worth paying for. Services that don't currently exist like actually modifying market orders, accessing in-game chat channels or training skills could be attached to a premium app subscription service. I'd pay for that.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 7:47PM Bluefyre said

• Half a heart
"Besides, despite what Apple fans think, the world doesn't actually revolve around the iPhone."

But every other major manufacturer does which is why they copy everything Apple does. But go ahead and deny it all you want. The tech world already knows the truth. Some butt hurt anti-Apple douches do not matter.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 3:58PM Lateris said

Plus we really don't know what the root cause with CCP is here. We only know one side of the argument.

I think CCP might be integrating the skill tracking and skill planner with Eve Gate in the future. But who knows. Right now I am forced to use iclone and will miss the Capsuleer app. Capsuleer is very polished.

Just re-activated my accounts. Glad to be back in Eve.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 4:02PM (Unverified) said

I agree with what you've said Lateris. I think what is at issue is more a lack of professionalism from the folks at CCP. They were under no obligation to grant a business license, but I'd like to think most business would say something to the effect of, "We're sorry, but we feel granting a license would be a conflict of interest at this point," rather than just letting folks, who have actually contributed a lot to EVE in the form of their app, twist in the wind.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 3:59PM (Unverified) said

This is sad news. I don't know what good venting on an internet site will do, but I actually canceled my EVE accounts today before hearing about this. I've been a huge fan of the game and CCP for the last three years.

Unfortunately it seems to me that there is a lack of professionalism when dealing with issues like Capsuleer and in game issues including the lag, how bad planetary interaction sucks, etc. They introduce new features and promise to reiterate them and never do. Hopefully I'm not being a hater, but the pattern of over-promising and under-delivering seems to be going strong at CCP.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 10:56PM Dirame said

Where've you been? I do believe they are making good on their promises of fixing stuff. Currently playing right now and I was in the mass test yesterday, I would like to think they are doing their best.

Posted: Oct 9th 2010 2:01AM Unverfied B said

"They introduce new features and promise to reiterate them and never do."

So true...

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 4:04PM (Unverified) said

I think you're missing the point here.If they we're allowed to charge a few bucks to the users in the app store this might very well have solved the cost problem for them. BUT... They are not allowed to do that, because of licensing issues, which really is a shame. I think a lot of the user would happily have paid a few bucks for the app.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 4:12PM wcanyon said

Make it open source and port it to Android and make it ad-supported. Also, CCP is unfathomable at times. 2 years and they can't manage to come up with a server to let these guys have?

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 5:03PM Aetrix said

Aside from the news feeds, I can't figure why anyone would use Capsuleer when there are much better apps like iClone out there.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 7:03PM (Unverified) said

iClone is nice, but clunky and slow. I tend to use Capsuleer for quick training checks, and iClone for more in depth info.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 8:21PM xSFx said

It's not 152 megs for starters.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 6:11PM Javajunky said

I think this just got bogged down in the what's the typical corporate run-around, we'll get to it eventually kind of thing or Eve wants to do it themselves for the revenue and hasn't gotten around to it yet.

Either way, there are so many great app's that have lived and died due to the fact that the cost and continued support (everchanging API revisions) that it becomes more difficult to justify keeping the app's alive.

I repeatedly say Eve Online has some of the smartest MMO players out there, CCP hopefully will break new ground in encouraging players to help them innovate the game unlike most MMO's. Embrace don't shun is the point. I would have been happy to pay $9.95 a year to Capsuleer or something like that, it would have been quite reasonable to help compensate these guys for running the servers and supporting the bi-annual expansions. Thanks for the coverage on this Massively.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 7:06PM dudes said

Apps come and go, but this is sad news.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 11:25PM XOR said

lame news. capsuleer was a good app

Posted: Oct 9th 2010 2:10AM Unverfied B said

I don't really see why should paid (with real cash) applications that most of their functionality is based on the API you already pay for as part of your subscription allowed.

Blizzard clearly disallows payed addons for example.

Posted: Oct 9th 2010 2:08PM (Unverified) said

If the Capsuleer devs cared about the app more than about making money off mobile development, they would simply open source it.

This just highlights the fundamental difference in thinking between the iPhone sector and the Android sector. Java devs are much more used to an open source world, where obj-c devs are just trying to make a quick buck in Job's closed eco system.