Posted: Oct 7th 2010 8:26AM Snichy said

Probably not, but never say never depends on how "weird it is".

Regarding the Michael Jackson MMO, I love the guys music so its a shame to see his image exploited like that to make money. I guess it was only a matter of time before the people running his estate went down their bandwagon-jumping list of "ways to make money from Michael Jackson" and came to the part where it says:

"Create an MMO and charge people for playing it (by way of a cash-shop) but justify it by saying it will "celebrate Michael Jackson's extraordinary life as an artist and humanitarian".

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 8:30AM darzin said

It would really depend on the content and setting of the MMO. Would I play one based on the Bible or Michael Jackson? Probably not? But I am fan of some progressive rock music, so would I play an MMO based around a world crafted based on some of Rush? Yes. The Necromancer, By-tor and the Snow Dog, Xanadu, and Cygnus X-1, Book I and II. You could craft a rich world based on those songs.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 8:45AM Pan1 said

You could indeed.

I still think Hotel California would make an epic movie.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 10:00AM Jef Reahard said

Right on. Don't forget 2112 even though Guitar Hero has already attempted it.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 8:44AM Pan1 said

I think my weird limit is reached with Love.

Though I find weird a poor choice of words.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 9:00AM Solp said

Having trouble justifying playing any big-time, well known MMO's atm.

So, no.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 9:20AM phobic99 said

Same here. At the end of the day, they all feel like "more of the same" to me. I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2 though. Is that a weird MMO?

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 9:27AM Solp said

Nah, GW2 looks like fun.

Is it weird that I think any new MMO looks fun?

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 9:27AM (Unverified) said

I've played pretty much every MMO since Meridian 59 came out. I like shiny new games, whether they are weird or not.

However, that doesn't mean it will keep my attention. I'd say only 1 out of every 10 new MMO keeps my attention for more than a month or two, especially now with all the shiny-yet-shallow Korean-type games coming out. Most of the time I leave because the game sux0rs but other times it’s just because there is another new game coming out I want to try. There are just way too many MMOs out there for me to focus on one for very long unfortunately.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 10:25AM esarphie said

Ultimately, it comes down to how engaging the gameplay is. Simply hooking you by the progress bar, and the fact that quitting reveals all the time spent advancing was a waste (like those horrid Facebook games) isn't enough. If the mechanics are interesting and entertaining, the goals and rewards intriguing, and the setting impressive enough, then I'll play.

The strange ones I've seen so far haven't quite lived up to those measures, unfortunately.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 3:00PM J Brad Hicks said

Hear, hear. If the game play is any good, weird counts as a bonus point: I don't think I'd play a generic D&D-type fantasy MMO no matter how good the gameplay was. But if the gameplay isn't any good, no amount of weirdness can carry the title for me. (I'm holding out for Brütal Legend Online. Or at least World of Girl Genius.)

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 10:27AM Heraclea said

Depends on what you mean by "weird". Just about any manga-styled game with "moe" character icons falls into the "too weird" category for me. There appear to be several out now. I apologize to no one for my kinks, and no one else should either, but sexualized children still make me squick a little, and that's how I read "moe".

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 4:58PM Haldurson said

I find anime-inspired MMOs to be too weird for me. To quote Heraclea "sexualized children still make me squick a little". I don't get all the lingo here (maybe because I'm an old-timer), but I think I agree with the gist. I don't get the sexualized child-like graphics that are in far too many Japanime or Japanime-style animation. I must be in the minority, but I fail to get why people seem to flock to that style of graphics.

As far as unusual subjects, I used to play a small non-graphical online mmo called Popomundo -- that was a game that is difficult to describe, involving, among other things, the music industry, running governments, and businesses, and so on. The game centered on the Music industry, but there were so many other paths to take, like becoming a doctor, scientist, business tycoon, running a bank or running for public office, becoming a criminal or policeman or whatever. I played it for over a year, and had a ball with it. It's not a pretty game like most mmos, but it was engaging, and fun, and that's what matters most.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 10:46AM redsolar said

I think a good term for it is "uniquely different" perhaps? Probably the most unique one I've come across is one called Endless Forest. I haven't come across anything that fits the bizarro title, yet.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 11:18AM ElfLove said

You bet I would!

Or at the least I'd give them all demo or two.

We do need more variety in the MMO world.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 1:23PM (Unverified) said

A variety of types of MMOs, settings, game mechanics, and payment styles is exactly what the genre needs.

So weird MMOs are wonderful. The MMO genre needs to really branch out alot.

Too many, fantasy based, subscription, grinders.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 2:15PM (Unverified) said

Absolutely. The MMO genre has been stuck in a rut for far too long. Bring on fresh ideas and gameplay mechanics!

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 2:18PM Cristiano Cenizo said

I'd love a weird out-of-the-ordinary MMO. Especially if it broke away from the typical fantasy settings with elves, humans, big-dudes, little-people, furry people, etc.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 8:23PM (Unverified) said

Kingdom of Loathing, not a typical MMO at all. It barely qualifies actually. The only place players interact is in chat, the mall (auction house, what have you), clan dungeons, and the (horrible) pvp system. It's an rpg full of pop culture references, a game where you actually want to read some of the text instead of clicking accept at the quest menu.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant