Posted: Oct 6th 2010 8:05AM Birk said

Slam. Seriously, whenever I smoked too much medicine and decided to swap prot for arms, I was blown away at how much I hated Slam. It was a skill that you basically needed to download an add-on (swingtimer) to use, and even then it blew my mind how useless it felt.

Hated it. HATE.

-Birk

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 8:19AM (Unverified) said

The early version of Unnatural Signet, in Guild Wars.

In a game where skills typically have a cooldown of 3-10 seconds, using this skill would disable your entire skill bar for up to 60 seconds. It also took a massive 15 seconds to cast, rather than the more standard 1/4 to 3 second casts. Oh, and a 75 second recharge.

Surely a skill like this must have some kind of incredibly powerful effect? Massive AoE damage? Instant mass resurrection? Some kind of team-wide buff?

No, sadly not. Unnatural signet would simply remove the effects of one 'Nature Ritual'.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 10:27AM Ogged said

Anarchy Online : Vehicle Ground/Water

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 8:37AM Pan1 said

I second that.

Or what about the swimming skill, it was also pretty useless.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 8:29AM Minofan said

I can only really comment on Guild Wars skills but, since the 8 slot skillbar means they're all competing against each other, there's plenty of contenders...

My vote goes to "Vocal was Sogolon":
* It extends shouts & chants but belongs to a profession that uses neither.
* The profession that does specialize in both has poor energy management and thinly spread points, so can't afford a skill which stretches both.
* Using VwS prevents attacking, which is the only way to generate adrenaline which is vital to a] most respectable vocal skills and b] the energy management the specialist class ahs access to.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 8:31AM (Unverified) said

In Warhammer Online, the spell WAAAAAGH! for the Black Orc.

Forgetting that it has way too many As in it, just talking gameplay mechanics here. It's such a prominent ability lore-wise, and it's the top-most ability in its tree, which means you have to spec for it. Then to use it, you have to have your career mechanic maxed out. And all it does is a burst of very low AoE damage. This damage is Magic, on a melee class, so it does even less as it's not getting any benefit from equipment. And to top it all off, it also leaves a magic debuff on the targets, which is completely useless as again, it's a melee class.

Such a disappointing ability really mostly because it's the freakin' WAAAGH! you'd expect it to be more.... waaaghish

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 8:35AM koehler83 said

Almost all single target buff spells that need to be recast on every member of the group.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:50AM Greyjoy said

All those goddamn buffs or shield spells which only last 5mins, so you have to keep remembering to perpetually cast them, only to realise its worn off just at the moment some enemy is wailing on your ass

WHY GOD WHY DO YOU PUT THIS INTO A GAME!!!!

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 5:20PM Patrick Mackey said

I find the best way to use these skills is to constantly refresh them. Get into a rhythm of doing your other skills, slapping your buffs, finishing the battle, and rebuffing as you get ready to move on. Generally I reapply buffs of this nature every minute to minute and a half, tops.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 8:55AM Pewpdaddy said

I never liked any of the nit picky skills in early MMO's. I seriously have to lvl every type of magic? 75 different languages, learning the language as I slaughter "X" animal type? Also I vote fishing, never had the patience for it. Especially in FFXI, you could make money with it but OMG was it slow to lvl. =p

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:01AM gildhur said

LotRO: Hunter's Fleet stance and Champion's Ardour stance.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:25AM (Unverified) said

Any ability or stat that doesn't have an animation or if it has a half assed one to go with it, IS USELESS!

Looking at you living bomb in WoW. You too call mouse droid in SWG way back.

Penetration, ya ever impale anyone? Didn't think so.

I also agree with Koehler83 single target buff spells are a pain in the ass and should just go. Not to mention when was the last time you saw a buff spell go off and you were like, "Cooooool." Never right?

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:04AM (Unverified) said

In Guild Wars, for a long time, I considered Healing Signet to be a fairly useless healing skill for Warriors compared to the rapid healing given by most Monk skills. It takes a fair amount of time to activate, whereas several Monk healing skills are instant.

It wasn't until later, when I started scrapping Monk skills from my build and focused purely on Warrior, that I realized just how useful Healing Signet is; with a high Tactics attribute, it heals you a lot, and because it is a signet it consumes no energy in the process. Considering that Warriors are very bad at energy management, this makes it one of the best healing skills that Warriors can have in their builds.

More recently I replaced it with Lion's Comfort, which is Strength-based rather than Tactics and therefore fits better with my build, but that's merely a personal preference and besides the point.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:13AM Solp said

5 minute Paladin blessings.

Posted: Oct 8th 2010 5:50AM (Unverified) said

I still have the headaches of rebuffing 40 men multiple times during the damn fight with onyxia. Raiding as paladin in 2005 was pretty much hell.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:25AM (Unverified) said

Second Wind in Guild Wars. What a waste of ELITE skill.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:19AM (Unverified) said

My favorite useless spell was the Druid's TreeForm in EQ. Or, even better: Group Treeform. You could turn yourself or your entire group into whatever type of tree was around in the environment, which was especially awesome/useless in places like Greater Faydark where the trees were HUGE. You got slightly increased mana and health regen, but the downfall was that you couldn't move except to spin around in circles.

Actually, I think games need to have more of these novelty type mostly useless spells.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:39AM Rilgon said

My first gut reaction was B.S. Sacramenti from Ragnarok Online. I don't think I ever saw it /cast/ by anyone except to see the pretty spell effect.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 10:37AM Solp said

Not to mention you had to gimp yourself beyond belief to even use it properly. :(

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:28AM kasapina said

Runescape's fire making. Yeah, it's a skill about making campfires. And many people make thousands of them to level it.