Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:24PM Monkey D Luffy said

"including the first craftable vessel that doesn't require a shipyard"

What about the Raft.

I plan on one day being the King of the Pirates in Darkfall and i will have a fleet of unstoppable rafts.
At least until the Kraken pops up and kills everyone.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:33PM JediPagan said

I enjoyed a 6 month stint in Darkfall immensely when I had to quit due to time issues. Darkfall is sorely underrated. I may have to revisit Agon again.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 10:40PM Dblade said

TL; DR Aventurine realizes that the PvP only model isn't sustainable and is frantically adding PvE content to ensnare carebears into the game.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 11:45PM Monkey D Luffy said

You trolling? Carebears wouldn't touch an open PVP game.

From what i can tell they are making the world feel more like a world.

Though I'm kinda curious if the NPC's gaining XP from killing player characters can be abused. Gonna be some super powered Goblins in the starting areas, lol.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 2:45AM Dblade said

A lot of EVE's players are carebears, for one. They like the group PvE and industry, and some rarely even leave station, preferring to trade.

Same with Aion, so bad in fact they had to destroy rifting to prevent the carebear exodus.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 12:37AM real65rcncom said

I played Darkfall for one month and found it wasn't my type of game.

But I must say, I am very impressed it is still chugging along and actually looks like its on the upswing.

Compared to a turkey flop like Warhammer Online with a 100 million dollar budget, this small indie company really should be proud it held it's own against the company that made DAoC.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 12:42AM (Unverified) said

massively should do a story on poor communication by mmo companies, i doubt there's one worse than AV... game's been down 19+ hours and they've made no effort to inform the players of what is going on other than posting the patch notes after zero communication for 8 hours in the morning/afternoon...

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 1:03AM Its Utakata stupid said

christiantx suggested inpart:

"massively should do a story on poor communication by mmo companies"

If they did that, it would turn into a 5000 + page article. O.O

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 1:17AM Its Utakata stupid said

However, let it be told in wold of Free to Plays with MT's being the "way of the future." Not only has this independent Pay to Play still going strong, but it has enough mola to reboot it's graphics and add all this stuff....with more yet to come. All this over PvP mechanics that would scare most PvP'ers away and ornery devs that would ban hammer you if you look at them wrong....

...perhaps F2P's are not the only way to make money. Just saying.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 3:00AM Temko said

*I'm not sure I would ever play a game like this....gank fests are just not my idea of fun. Especially having to do it in the nude...cause you don't want anyone rolling you for your goods.*

the general fact is that darkfall is not a gankfest. nor done nude.
What darkfall IS, is a very pvp oriented game.

You doing a quest? pvp is possible
you killing mobs? pvp is possible
you crafting in your city? raid with pvp is possible.

whenever i hear the term gank-fest all i can think of is a group of high level characters smashing newbies... and unless there is a clear goal (like containing a siege force, or ripping an enemies morale) that just doesn't happen in darkfall.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 5:18AM Its Utakata stupid said

I am glad your experience is better than my understanding of DF Temko. But my impressions where based on Seraphina Brennan's reported experience with the game sometime back. Which sounded gankish, brutal and horrid. And it appeared that one had to fight in the buff to save one's valuables from being rolled. Perhaps a lot has changed since she played. Thus now players are much more well behaved. If that's the case...then I'm glad the quality of players has improved as well.

But it should be noted, the point of my post doesn't matter where my worst fears are true or not. Or whether even DF has gotten a bad PR reputation as a brutal ass PvP game...the fact it is doing well, despite this. And didn't need to resort to nickle and diming it's players with a cheesy invasive cash shop scheme to make up any short fall...like certain other MMO's. /shrug

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 12:48PM Pingles said

I am a Carebear. I no longer play PvP games.

However, there is an MMO thrill like no other when hunting mobs in an area with PvP.

I have never matched the feeling in any following game like I had hunting in the Frontiers of DAoC. The loot from mobs was unmatched but you were always at the risk of being killed. It was exhilarating to see a Zone comment about invaders in a nearby area and trying to decide whether to run to safety or not. Or being mid-battle and catching movement in the distance and knowing they saw me.

I totally understand the draw to PvP-oriented games. I wish I had the time to invest in one.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 5:27AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Noooo! Keep the PVP kiddies in Darkfall so they stay out of the grown-up games.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 9:13AM (Unverified) said

This comment is very kid-like.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 9:20AM Slob Zombie said

I'm curious about the graphical overhaul. Are there before & after shots/movies anywhere?

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best economy?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 8:00AM