Posted: Oct 6th 2010 7:17PM smg77 said

I wish we could find another term to use rather than "free to play" because most of these types of games can get rather expensive unless you're willing to put up with the time sinks and roadblocks that the developers put in to get people to fork over money in their item malls and cash shops.

I'm sad to see so much movement toward the "F2P" system because there is a fundamental flaw with designing a game so that it's difficult or irritating to play unless you're willing to be nickle and dimed to death at an item mall. I'd much rather play a game where the developers are focused on making the game fun so that I'll continue to pay for a subscription.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 7:56PM Pingles said

I think you would be surprised at just how cheap they are to play.

Try one. All it will cost you is time. Then, when you feel the need to buy something weigh how much time you've spent playing and see if it's worth it.

I have played one F2P as my fallback game for over a year and have not spent a dime.

Another I am waiting eagerly for their cash shop to open because I want to show my appreciation for such an amazing amount of free content. I'll be buying only bags and vanity items.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 7:50PM Meurik said

Another term for Free-to-play games (as stated, these games are rarely "free"), would be Micro-Transaction games.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 10:34PM Dblade said

I'm not sure it will be discussed much. Most Western MMOs fell into being F2P out of a failed sub model, and the few that are either are targeted towards kids, or are more net games (Need For Speed World, League of Legends.) I don't think most Western devs are really embracing F2P. Social Facebook games seem easier to monetize and design for rather than trying to create a strong F2P MMO from scratch.

It might change some with Jumpgate or Black Prophecy though, but I don't think F2P affects development enough to rail against it.

Posted: Oct 7th 2010 3:44AM Graill440 said

The very first GDC, supposedly closed to vids but they leaked, and so did the articles. Several "experts" rail on how unappreciated their graphics wizardy and creativity was "The common player has no idea what they are looking at or how to appreciate it" nearly the exact words to that effect and alot more laughing about we "users" of whom quite a few were in attendance much to their chagrin (i was still in the military at the time so i didnt get to crash it), even then the devs were hammered about bringing over the free to play term that was innacurate then as it is now. It was quite the new "thing".

developers do not care what the newest thing is, right or wrong, as long as the thing makes them cash, they call it free, but it still generates cash, sounds like prime material for a Lewis Black comedy sketch. (love that guy)

The majority of we "users" know what common sense is and what a game labeling itself as free to play and having an item shop is as ignorant as the devs can get. Yet their rabid followers will continue to use the phrase and look stupid until one of the big three finally cut the spin and rebrand it because they look stupid and are just figuring it out, then we simply laugh and say we told you so to the ignorant fops. (grin) yes thats a comic phrase dealing with clothes but it works here, so calm down.

If anything coming close to common sense was ever concieved in the gdc it would be a miracle. How can i make that incredible statement you ask? Look around.

What i want the devs to discuss this year? Accountability to include criminal prosecution for stealing funds. Mandatory ISO standards. Mandatory zero defect release and full transparency to outside inspectors during development. Firing handled and recorded to a central database like coaches (college, highschool, proffesional) tracking success and failure with direct input from sources like the BBB , RPCT, and other outside reviews sources. that way we "users" can easily see who is working on the next potential failure and avoid it.

But then.......if they talked about or implemented these measures, they wouldnt get to rip us off and claim "work in progress".

The GDC, a true joke in progress. I think i will send some of this material to comedy central and see what good ol Lewis thinks about it.