Posted: Oct 5th 2010 4:37PM Deadalon said

I think ppl are just realising the potential dangers that MMO gaming for young kids can lead to. The main danger is ofc that kids do not realise how addictive the MMO gaming can become - Leading to kids spending more time in a virtual world than in the real world. This is ofc specially dangerous for those kids that already feel left out - going even further by spending most of the time in games.

Its hard enough for alot of adults to contol their gaming habbits so they dont effect real life. Many kids dont realise the dangers - and they dont understand how MMO are built.

Alot of ppl think that MMOs are just virtual worlds. They are not. They are designed to make money. Most adults understand that (in the end) but kids usually dont. They actually think that LOTRO is free and alot of parents dont realise the true effect - until they get a strange bill on their visa card... when the kids have been tempted to steal it...

Games are for fun - but they are not all created with that in mind. SPECIALLY not MMO games. Its important to educate both parents and children in the true nature of the MMO buisness...

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 8:51PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Downrated for Deadalon whining about Turbine charging money for LOTRO - again! - in a topic that has nothing to do with that - again!

You're as tedious as Graill and his endless whining about EVE.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 4:58PM Vrazule said

If I had a child, I wouldn't want them wasting hours at a time in front of the computer. I'd encourage them to get outside, do sports or other hobbies that are much more constructive to their personality and growth. Some computer time would be in their best interest, but most assuredly that would not be the hamster wheel jerk along that is raiding.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 5:50PM TheJackman said

I hear everyone say that, its the save comment like hey look at me I will be a good dad.... But why you are wasting hours at a time in front of the computer. and not go outside, do sports or other hobbies that are much more? Your kid will look at what you doing and take the worst things from it... Not all kids like sport and so on.. When you not like sport most likely you kids will not as well!

Did it do anything to your personality and/or growth spending so much time at your computer. If you think the that way about raiding, I take it that you do not do any raiding? And if you do why?!

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 11:04PM Laephis said

Well, I happen to have two children and I do not let them waste hours upon hours in front of a computer. Nor do I waste countless hours myself. The main issue is that young children are very impressionable. The patterns you establish with them at an early age stick with them for the rest of their lives. Having an MMO-addicted 7 year old is a recipe for disaster later in their life. When my kids get older they can make their own decisions on how they spend their time. But for now, computer and TV time are very much limited.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 5:10PM (Unverified) said

I think MMOs are actually chaninging themselves in a way. Unhealthy amounts of grinding will lose their appeal as most MMOs end up focued on casual players and game mechanics are put into place to remove the benefits of large amounts of time played.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 5:19PM (Unverified) said

I would give that a resounding "Hell no!".
Having wasted a big chunk of my young life in front of a computer screen in a dark room I can unequivocally admit it was one of my life's biggest mistakes. Now that im old and boring it's a great way to blow a few hours between caulking the bathtub and mowing the lawn, but I wish I had spent more time doing something far less safe.
As i look back now I have discovered that the things I remember fondly were outdoors. Even my best video game related moments seem sort of sad and fuzzy now.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 6:01PM (Unverified) said

My nephew who is 13 i let raid. hes a good kid but in wow i have no issue with him raiding. As long as the game world is like wow i dont see why not. If its a mature title where u wouldnt want your kids playing at all that would be diffrent.
In wow raiding for my nephew is never a problem. so whats the problem with him spending 4 hrs on a friday running a pug raid.

Its one thing if all they do is play computer games. Lettign them play 3-4 hrs here and there isnt a bad deal. As long as they know that homework, excercise come first. thenn why not. I tend to hold the philosophy for every hr on comp spend 1 hrs out doors playing sports or running around.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 9:29PM Solp said

These topics are touchy...

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 10:05PM gildhur said

At 9 months, she's a little young, but she can probably be a button-mashing pro with the Hunters in LotRO by next year. :-D

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 2:22AM Critical Mass said

I noticed that the article does not make use of the word "addict" or "addiction" which I found interesting.

Because I think it is unfortunate to psychologize around any real problems with regard to someones life by labeling them or the activity as addictive as some do.

I would argue that if people play games too much, they probably have nothing better to do. MMO games are not something magical bewitching its user.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 2:26AM Critical Mass said

Hrm, I used the word "addictive" in the second paragraph above, I should have stuck with the word "addiction" which is somewhat more specific in this case.

So what I meant to say was that:
Because I think it is unfortunate to psychologize around any real problems with regard to someones life by labeling them as someone having an addiction.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 9:32AM (Unverified) said

As a fairly competitive 15 year old raider in "World of Warcraft", I feel obliged to share what my schedule looks like and how WoW has affected me.

For starters I play 3 times a week, Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday from 7:30 - 11. This allows me time to hurry home from football practice on raid nights and get the days homework out of the way then enjoy dinner with my family. There is no doubt that it's tight being able to fit all of this in (especially since football gets out at 5:30) but my parents feel that if I am able to balance this and maintain high grades in addition to an active social life that I have earned the privilege to play WoW.

Some side effects of playing WoW (that I recognize present in myself) include
-Ability to deal critically and productively with people
-Being able to work fluidly in a group setting
-Learning about personal responsibility

This among countless other benefits, however I think the real issue people want to talk about is

-Resenting or neglecting real life issues because of WoW

This is certainly a problem and needs to be recognized when it occurs. If you ever feel you are becoming "addicted" it is important to stop and take a breather. Obviously this requires presence of mind from the player and discipline and this is what I think prevents kids from becoming great gamers. If you are thinking of letting your kid play WoW you either need to set limits for him/her or KNOW that they can set limits themselves.

Just wanted to clear up some of the misconceptions associated with teens/kids in MMO's. For the record my guild was 11/12 H25M before we took a break until Cata.