Posted: Oct 4th 2010 11:22AM arnavdesai said

One thing which Arenanet has not mentioned with regards to items & loot is stats. The main crux of the entire loot system was for the harder areas you got prettier stuff which was one of the things I loved. Not to talk about the 10 tonne gorilla in the room but I played WoW for about 4 months and was seriously ticked off at folks not wanting to play with me for not possessing the best weapons for my level. It was very frustrating. I hope the trend continues into GuildWars2 as well.

Also, actually I like the idea of 5 man dungeons because getting larger groups is next to impossible and this allows smaller guilds to experience all the content. In fact, with 5 in number I see even a lot of families playing the dungeons as a nightly activity. I say 5 is a good number and while 24 man raid sounds epic, in practice except for the top tier guilds are rarely so in practice. Its almost always chaotic in nature.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 1:49AM wjowski said

• 1 heart

If you were a tank or a healer then...why should they bring you along if you can't pull your weight?

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 8:26AM arnavdesai said

Problem is not with pulling weight. Problem is with not having the equipment to 'pull your weight'. In any case, I play games to have fun and have a good time, I am not going on a 'mission'. Also, the item drops are always random which does not help.
Its a time sink and the game is designed to keep you playing for a longer time not necessarily have a good time. If grind is your thing more power to you and hope you enjoy WoW but I am sorry I dont like that and dont have fun with it.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 11:25AM Monkey D Luffy said

I don't understand how they can make such an amazing sounding game F2P.

They could easily charge $15 a month if they wanted.

Char!

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 11:49AM Misterlee said

It's exactly that business model that sets Guild Wars apart from the others and keeps people coming back for more.

I've played GW since the launch of Prophecies and while keeping a subscription to another MMO or two, I come back to GW every time there is an update or new game.

If they need to make a bit more money by selling some optional things in a shop to fund the continued development of an awesome game then that's fine, I have faith they won't ruin the balance of the game by selling stat based items.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 12:05PM Ocho said

Not F2P because of a huge difference... you have to buy the box game first. And GW1 has done it amazingly well, I see no need for this to be a sub. Plus, they're trying to set themselves up as the 15 ton gorilla to take down the 10 ton gorilla.

Watch. This is my prediction: Cataclysm now will drop on Dec 7th (a day that will live in infamy), due to some prognostication about release dates for novels and classes based on the current release of information, my guess would be a release of GW2 around the third quarter on 2011. So, around July-Aug of next year, 6-7 months or so after the release of Cata, about the same time people again start to lose interest in WoW and its hype has faded.... thats when GW2 will drop, and with its promise of 'no sub fees' and with a huge shift of MMO gameplay, thats a strong pull indeed to take a huge chunk of the MMO market, especially from the current elephant.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 12:29PM GryphonStalker said

"Not F2P because of a huge difference... you have to buy the box game first."

@Joker

P2P - Pay to Play = Monthly Subscription
F2P - Free to Play = No Box Price, No Subscription, Cash Shop to do anything!
B2P - Buy to Play = Buy the Box, No Subscription. (Ie. Guild Wars and Global Agenda.)

If there is a payment model, we have an acronym for it! :D

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 4:11PM Valdur said

That was one of the main reasons Jeff Strain,Mike O'Brien and patrick Wyatt left Blizzard and form ArenaNet.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 11:37AM GryphonStalker said

"I can understand a certain reluctance to pay for a temporary item, but since we have no clue what they will cost, how many of them a purchase nets you, or even for sure whether they are single-use"

Indeed and and until I know more about how it will be implemented in their store (and what other items they have in mind) - I'm remaining worried. Cash Shops in every game get a lot of flak because the industry as a whole doesn't have what one would call a good track record with implementation.

I think it really is fear of the unknown, a lot of people maybe be perfectly happy with how Anet ends up handling it. It's just there isn't any information to back that up yet.

But to add to this, I am very excited by the new dye and I think the rest of John Hargrove article was very interesting.

I skimmed the rest of the article because I'm hoping to get my PC gamer next week and want to have something new to read. :3

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 6:04PM alinos said

exactly the way he announced it was a throwaway comment just like
"oh the level cap is 80"

but he spent half the article hyping customization before dropping the news, it seem's like one of those thing's that was always going to cause a stink.

and much like rubi says, i have no issue with paying guild wars cash they could announce tomorrow there would be a subscription and i'd be fine with it

it's that there charging for a service that based on my experience with Lotro's Wardrobe feature would get really expensive really fast

and while the dye system is cool, my car is a piece of crud now, painting it blue with white stripes isn't gonna change the fact it look's terrible. I'd much rather pay for dye's than i would armor changes

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 3:49PM Piiiink said

I can agree that it's totally fair to pay for customization. They need to get money from somewhere considering there's no payment every month. What makes me a bit nervous is that it will be a single-use item that you will need to repeatedly buy over and over as you get better. And since they seem to be building on the same "farm gear to farm better gear" mechanic that would constantly overwriting your previous equipments stats in order to look the way you want.

Now the result of that would be that players would wait with buying the the transmutation stones until they got all the best equipment - and thus you will look retarded with your mismatching armor that you're waiting to transmute because you want better stats.

Hopefully they've thought of that.

Posted: Oct 9th 2010 8:35AM (Unverified) said

I'm a bit disappointed by the Catacombs news actually.
I was hoping for some GW FActions style RvR, Human v Char, to regain Ascalon. Aid the ghosts and wipe out the scourge.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 12:11PM Ocho said

Human vs Charr would go against the lore. At least by the end of the first novel, the Charr and humans will have signed a peace treaty, having had the artifact returned to the Charr. For now... There is no opposing faction in the game. PvP will all be RvR. Although its interesting to think of how it will be implemented.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 1:08PM Syesta said

Since I haven't heard hide nor hair from Blade & Soul since the G☆Star conference last year, right now GW2 is in the running for Off-hand MMO of choice. (FFXIV being my primary....I know I know, Shut up. I love it.)

I really didn't get into GW1 much, as I'm not fond of PvP at all, but the more I see, the more I'm intrigued. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the core gameplay I've seen (based on the Gamescom employee demonstrations) but I definitely appreciate all the technology and ideas they are bringing to the table for a non-subscription based game. I am more than willing to support ArenaNet's efforts.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 1:16PM BGExorcist said

Sounds like an option in Runes of magic The one cash shop item lets you combine items of the same type.. but the other lets you combine any 2 items / get stats from 1 and appearance from other/. There you have 1 slot for backgear that is only obtainable through cash shop, but you can merge it using this method with any statted item in the game. Hope they dont get cash shop hungry and make the same mistake.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 1:17PM Dumac said

This is an illustration of why people dislike cash shops - throughout the first third of the article you are repeating 'we don't know this, we don't know that, and it might even be something else, calm down, we don't know yet and we cant judge'. I'm paraphrasing but you get the point. You never know what's coming and you can never make a judgment until it's already here, by which point why should you bother. It takes away the control from the player.

And sure, Arenanet is a company that has principles and a desire to do things right, but speaking in general, not all companies are like that, and not all people even trust Arenanet because they've probably not played GW(2) yet. Today its transmutation stones, tomorrow, who knows. If you add one item, you might as well add more, and if you leave your options open, that leaves players with no control, no knowledge and no trust as to what they are investing their time and money in, and i hope you can see why people might be apprehensive about that.

Speaking of transmutation, even the cash shop powered Earth Eternal had had the feature in the exact same form (only done through an NPC) for free. Maybe that was it's downfall though... :)

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 3:59PM (Unverified) said

"And sure, Arenanet is a company that has principles.."

Hm, ArenaNet said they had everyone's XTH points recorded and people would get them eventually, while they spent 8 months (supposedly) trying to fix the new system. At the end of that, we didn't get our points, they didn't get the new system that was supposedly broken fixed, and they just gave everyone 50 points and gave up on it. When I get all the points I should have received, maybe I'll agree with your statement. Until then, not so much.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 9:24PM (Unverified) said

@Wade: Because a poorly-implemented PvP betting system that costs nothing and gives you free ingame money is something you should base your entire judgement of a video game company on...Seriously, the system was bugged from day one and everybody knew it. I think that everyone would agree that the XTH was a side-project that had little potential to grow from to begin with.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 1:34PM Randomessa said

The fact that we will have hundreds of dyes unlockable and available for our use (and that they will be non-consumable, and unlockable ACCOUNT-wide) tells me all I need to know to feel confident that the transmutation stones are not just a greedy cash-grab from Arenanet. If gouging was truly what they were after, why not apply it to the much-touted dye system?

I've said it elsewhere, but I don't really see myself making use of the transmutation stones because I feel enough of the armors will be lovely enough to satisfy me. For ANet to make armors ugly just to compel players to pay through the cash shop would be to betray their stated goals about as much as going subscription-fee would, at this point. I'm going on record with heavy doubts that they'll do that.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 2:13PM (Unverified) said

Do those that oppose the Transmutation Stones oppose the current in-store set up? Is there an outcry about charging for makeover kits or costumes or skill packs or extra missions, etc.? I see this as no different than what is available for GW1. I am not worried about ArenaNet charging for things just as this. Like the article said, they seem to be makeover kits for your armor much like the makeover kits for characters in GW1. There always has to be something for people to panic over.