Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 8:20AM Trololol said

I am not a big fan of yelling: Zomg old Skool is better and everything new sucks, bla bl bla, everything is so easy now bla bla. But i would love playing a triple a title with sprites, but it has to be top noch like im watching a Disney movie.

But I dont think we will see triple a sprite games anymore (please correct me if i am wrong), people dont buy a Ubercomputer to wach 2D graphics.

Its just to big of a risk for developers, exept for the guys that make 2D fighting games ofc

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 8:28AM Lobotomist said

I am all for a game development that focuses 99% on gameplay and 1% on graphics.

Instead 99% on graphic and 1% on gameplay (what we unfortunately have nowdays)

2D graphic is cheaper and easier to make.

So give me the game 10 times more complex than Ultima Online , and keep 2D sprite graphic. Instead other way around

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:53AM nomoredroids said

"World of Warcraft and other triple-A titles are never likely to be dominated by sprite graphics, since the result is usually less character customization, more work for the art team, and only a negligible actual benefit."

Sprites take MORE work, not less, so it would actually be the opposite of what you want.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 9:22AM Solp said

I love sprite games and would kill for more of them.

There's something... carefree, laidback, relaxed about them. The graphics are kinda cute, the music is chilled, the monsters are funny to look at.

I used to play Ragnarok for a long, long time. I still remember making my way through Prontera to Izlude and getting owned by porings for not watching my step! :(

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 9:33AM Macabre 13 said

Baldur's Gate 1/2 had some of the best graphics ever, in my opinion. I believe that style can still hold its own against today's emphasis on 3D, in terms of overall artistic charm and beauty.

3D is great, but I definitely feel 2D still has a solid place in gaming, especially when it comes to RPG's.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

My favourite Bioware games ever are the isometric spritey Baldur's Gate series. The subsequent Neverwinter Nights games may have had proper 3D graphics, but they weren't as good.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 9:45PM drakon said

I think the original NWN that Bioware made is the best single player RPG ever. Yes the graphics were good for the time (not great, but good). The original and two expansion story lines were good (not great, but good).

*BUT* the reason its the best RPG ever (even over the BG series, which I loved) is:
- The flexibility of the toolset
- The huge community it had/has
- The massive number of 3rd party add-ons, modules, and hak packs

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 9:41AM (Unverified) said

See I think the header image is gorgeous, I love that art style. And to keep it simple, yes I enjoy sprite graphics from time to time. I've seen some sprite-based games being made lately as sort of throwbacks to older games and it brings up nostalgia.

Gaming isn't all about graphics, many games have and will continue to prove that.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 9:44AM Nickelpat said

I love my 3D graphics. Sure the 2D sprites will always have their niche in gaming, but I honestly don't want to see them in the mainstream. Leaps and bounds have been made for some awesome 3D graphics, there is no point in reverting to some old 2D method. It is pretty, it is nice to play now and then, but it's not practical for a lot of today's games. Imagine trying to play Battlefield 2 with sprites, any FPS at that. Or any racing game. Most RPGs would work well enough though.

There is no upside to using sprites as the main medium for graphics again. They take just as long to make, but have less of an immersion factor and they don't use the tech we have available to us.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:01AM redsolar said

I play these kind of games as casual single-player games. For an MMO, there has to be a living, breathing world to immerse myself within.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:53AM nomoredroids said

I agree!

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:05AM (Unverified) said

Starcraft 1 was 2d and it was awesome. Don't see a problem playing rts in 2d Nickelpat. besides with todays tchnology 2d can look better and much more detailed than 3d. Check the game muramasa for wii. Incredible 2d graphics. I wish there were more games which use very detailed 2d sprites (and no maple story is ugly tbh. I don;t understand how 2d mmos use such small resolutions. really use something more than 1024 ==;)

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:54AM (Unverified) said

Me beeing a long time ex Ragnarok player woulnt mind to see some new games with sprites.
I'm also intrested to see how gravity is going to handle ragnarok2 this time.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 11:07AM Pingles said

For those of us that crawled out of the primordial sprite-rich ooze and were liberated by open, free, explorable 3D environments we never want to return.

Nowadays sprite graphics make me feel like I am on a movie set where the buildings are just facades with no depth to them.

King's Quest II was great but I have no desire to explore a NEW game world in that manner.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 12:44PM Seffrid said

Do I want to change from the quality of today's graphics to be found in eg AoC and LoTRO to the standard of yesterday's graphics represented by the screenshot in this article?

You must be joking!

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 3:49PM wjowski said

I'd pay money for a sprite-based MMO if it was good enough.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 7:03PM (Unverified) said

What game is the screenshot from?

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 3:00AM (Unverified) said

The game is called Dofus. Despite it's ridiculous name, I like it a lot. The game has adorable graphics if you're into anime/manga, and doesn't take itself too serious. It's quite funny, combat is turn-based and quite tactical, and it has PvE and PvP, and more gear than you could ever dream of.

Posted: Oct 5th 2010 12:20PM (Unverified) said

The game is actually Wakfu, the successor to Dofus. www.wakfu.com

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 8:42PM TheGreatMachine said

One of my first MMOs was 'Dark Ages' (not of Camelot) was sprite based.
It was kinda cool, had a political system and religion to the point where priest could hold 'masses' and this was back in the last 90s. If it meant more fun little details like those I'd play but I think it was more due to the genre being young.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM