Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 11:30PM (Unverified) said

Every game I have played has had login troubles on the busiest servers. Even small games have these problems, LOTRO with Brandywine (especially right after Moria), EVE's queue locks me out on the busier nights, CoH right after going Rogue was . . . interesting. Not to mention the many problems I've had with WoW.

There are a lot of legitimate complaints to be made about WAR. I don't think complaining about the server issues that practically every game in existence continually runs into is legitimate.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 11:54PM Nadril said

This sounds cool and all (if the server size can actually support this) but WAR is still a buggy as hell game. Last time I tried it (a month ago) I couldn't even create a character or log into any of mine on the server we were on. Initially I could but it just stopped working for me and I lost total interest in it.

Plus the population numbers I saw bummed me out. I know Lineage II private servers that have more players.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 12:03AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the mention!

as people can see if they visit my blog, i'll admit i have a more cynical view on some of the game mechanics. that's not to say they're BAD. it's to say they can be better. overall they work, and as a core tester i can tell you that mythic are very active in taking on public opinion in what they change.

the state of the game IS better than ever, take a look at Bootaes blog (linked in the main article), and find "Norn in pictures" i think the post is called... literally every night, 500 players fighting each other, sometimes even sometimes not so even numbers, and that's just in 1 zone. there's always stuff happening accross the server, and i have to say it's almost always fun.

I've been RR80, like pandemic, for the best part of a year now, maybe a little less. i still play my main character without the need for "carrots", i don't need any of the loot in the game, i run pve with friends, i run scens with them, we go into orvr and take on anything that stands in our way. and my guild is made up of mostly RR80, full sovereign players with nothing to do in the game BUT kill other players.

anyone who says it's not fun either hasn't played in a looooong time, or doesn't have a good enough guild to compete. it really is that simple.

good luck to everyone, happy hunting!

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:18AM Greg W said

Thanks for the tweets, and thanks for reading! :D

Greg W.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 10:16PM (Unverified) said

warhammer is toast this won't help. the reason: full groups of rr80 and ful sov geared ppl along with mythics decision to nerf the conversion rate on signets and reduce the amount of city sieges essentially screwing whoever wasn't already geared up over.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 3:31AM eNTi said

if people care more about "appearance" buttons than game mechanics, you know where your game is headed.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 4:48AM Pan1 said

I find it funny how you are being asked to forget 2 years of game time.

All of a sudden a magical patch will fix WAR? Yea right.

Forget it, I'm not giving them anymore of my money.

'But look, we painted it red!'

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 5:32AM Deadalon said

Talk is cheap - Making things actually work has been the problem for Mythic. With this crew I very much doubt they get half of these features in.

But its intresting to see that a game that was "all about RVR" has been so fundementally flawed that they need to change the entire core system 2 years into the game. Not saying its a bad thing... - others have raised their doubts about this new system. We have to wait and see. Im afraid we are gonna have to wait very very long time before Mythic get it right tho... if they ever do.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 6:03AM (Unverified) said

when is this planned to go live?

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:02AM Greg W said

Testing is set to start sometime later this month. If you want to check out the new content for yourself, I recommend looking into the Re-Enlisters program and settling in first. Then, when the new stuff rolls out to the PTS you can give it a run and provide feedback on the official development forums.

I believe it is mentioned somewhere that they're aiming at a December release, but don't quote me on that. What we do know is that they intend to do plenty of testing before this goes live.

Thanks for reading!
Greg W.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 5:44PM (Unverified) said

thank you Greg, i'm sure ill give it a try

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 8:51AM DennisIsAwesome said

this game rocks!

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:15AM Hjordis said

@David in regard to WAR "losing players since launch":

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 10:59AM (Unverified) said

Hjordis: "True, sub numbers declined in the last 2 years and servers have disappeared but have you played in the last 3-6 months? Last week Volkmar's population exploded at random and Badlands had a queue to log in lastnight, and that has been happening at least for the past 2 months since I resubbed. You have to realize that just because a game struggles in the beginning does not mean it can't come back. AoC is a good example of that. For everyone who has so much negative to say, if you haven't played lately then you no longer know what you're talking about."

I have a subscription now actually. Not on Volkmar so I can't say what the population is like over there, but yes I have played the game at launch and more recently. My comment that it's struggling was based on the fact that so many of the servers have been closed and it shows little indication to open new ones. And I *did* say it might have clawed some players back, but I still don't think it's doing anything more than dying a slow death.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 3:50PM Taawa said

The devs fairly recently made something significant work very well. They redid the contested city endgame content. And it's now much, much more fun than it was at launch. Now they're taking at least one successful concept form the city siege and applying it to the RvR campaign.

Mythic developers have been doing some very good work lately on more than one front. The game is fun. Like Bruglir, I've been 80 on Lyram, my Zealot, for quite a few months now. Yet I still play him more than any other character. The unpredictability of WAR's player-created endgame pvp keeps me interested in a character that doesn't have much to do so far as progression. That's quite an accomplishment for a "dead" or "dying" game.

Posted: Oct 4th 2010 5:15PM Pandemic said

The first part of testing - the new open rvr / siege / capture zone changes goes live on the test server this Friday.

Note testing is being staggered; this is only the open rvr changes and is being done in tier 3 (I expect a tier 4 test shortly after this one).

Later on in testing this month hopefully, we will see the rvr pack (the skaven) but that test will be done in tier 4.

It appears that the skaven 'zone' is going to be a dungeon instance with up to 24 each side, kinda like darkness falls. I am not 100% certain on this.

I also appears that this skaven dungeon zone will only be for rr65+ - yep thats right Mythic are finally starting to split up the lowbies from the higher ups.

Its possible that this dungeon zone wont be open all the time, we will have to see. Its certainly however going to take the rr65+ people out of zones with lower ranks as there is new loot in this skaven dungeon ... and you know how players like their new shiny baubles

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 4:29AM (Unverified) said

I once read an article on an mmo news site that compared MMOs and their players to irl romantic relationships (might have even been this one :D ). When an MMO spurns you, lets you down when you realize it couldn't live up to your impossible fantasy standards, it practically becomes your enemy, and all you wanna do is sabotage it, belittle every accomplishment, condemn its every action. People love to hate. WAR is just one victim of this phenomenon.

WAR isn't bad, just cause a game doesnt have 10 million subs like that other game doesnt mean it failed(rumor has it that its 300k, which is greater than STO, a little lower than Aion and Lotro, and about the same as AoC), nor does it fail because its catering to its pvp niche, and it certainly isnt failing because they're changing some systems that didn't work out in hopes of improving consumer satisfaction. That's actually called growth and change, MMOs need it or they become stagnant. WAR's trying to change its status quo, which is more than some MMOs can say.

I played at launch and for about 3 months after. I can honestly say it sucked in those months after the mass exodus, but now (on Badlands at least) its more active than I ever. Play it yourself if you need more convincing - Endless Trial and Re--Enlist offers are available.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 12:50PM Avernus said

I like the proposed changes. Right now, RvR devolves too often into red dead rover.

And to the discussion on server population - I played at launch and resubbed a few months ago. I don't know numbers, but there are tons of people on. We had 3 warbands in T2! yesterday on Gorfang (one of the lower population servers.)

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM