Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 12:59PM Sean D said

Bought the game yesterday. Updater wouldn't work. I worked on the issue for a couple of hours. Apparently the game has a problem with my router. Returning the game today.

I realize there is probably a way to fix this problem, but I'm not a network guru and it is my opinion that a game should at the very least install and update correctly right out of the box. Every other game company seems to be able to achieve this goal.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:08PM relgoth said

• 1 heart
Its fine and its your option to return the game if you want to.

But to me it sounds like you didnt really want to play the game in the first place. I think if you really wanted to play you have a tried to work it out for more than a day or so. You gotta have passion though, and from what it looks like to me atleast with this game you didnt.

Oh and lots of games have problems with routers, the ones i can think of off the top of my head and have experienced personally are:

World of warcraft
FFXI
Lotro
Guild wars

Each one of those has had some kind of wierd d/c issue that i eventually corrected. Some were just minor, some were major (world of warcraft)

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:18PM jpkustra said

• Half a heart
@Relgoth
GTFO

It's not conceivable that someone might have a dealbreaking issue that your fanboy passion is ready to put up with no matter what? Accordance bought the game, tried to get it to work and it didn't. I'd return the P.O.S. too.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:28PM mmark said

MMOs have issues with routers and FFXIV is no exception. Frankly all games since the start of PC gaming have various computer issues that needed to be dealt with in order to play.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 2:26PM cic said

Even if you problem solve the router situation you will not get the patcher to fully work as most patchers do. It seems SE didn't have the 'passion' to fix their damn updater... pathetic.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 2:50PM dudemanjac said

You're doing something wrong. With all the noise I heard here about the patcher, I expected it wouldn't be up and running until the following day. But I got home on day one around 11pm, installed the game and patched it in under and hour.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 3:43PM tchuks said

• 1 heart
Yeah you're not missing much. If you ever decide to come back wait a few months so there is more content/fixes for the system.

Even the minimum requirements the system needs are buggy as hell. It says you need a dual-core CPU at 2ghz minimum. I'm running 2.2ghz dual core with all graphics effects turned to the lowest setting and it's still jumpy/jittery in congested areas.

What's up with that!?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 5:48PM Audacious said

What store did you go to that actually let you return the game after you opened the box and tried to install it?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 6:55PM wjowski said

"Its fine and its your option to return the game if you want to.

But to me it sounds like you didnt really want to play the game in the first place."

Yeah. I buy games I don't want to play all the time. Just the other day I got a used copy of Big Rig Truckers off of Amazon!

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

You need to set up port forwarding on your router to get the downloader to work. This is the first time I did so to get a game to work, but here are the ports:

Port forward all UDP/TCP ports to 55296-55551.

Port 443 UDP should also be forwarded.

After that the downloader always start slow, then ramps up speed since to my understanding it relies on P2P.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:27PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The SE updater is wonky. Sometimes you have to be a little patient and wait a few min for the updater to establish a connection, and to begin to download. I think on the secodn update i had to wait about 5 min for it to kick in and then it updated @ 500kb/sec

FYI: You don't need to be a network guru to fiddle with a router. Just do a quick google search and you'll find instructions.

If you actually spent a couple hours trying to figure it out and aren't just trolling FFXIV thats too bad. But there is plenty of support on the community websites for such issues. and if all else fails there are torrents for the updates to get players patched up.

This leads me to believe you few hours of trying to get it to work isn't true. Otherwise while unhappy with the patcher you would have gotten the game updated one way or another.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 5:09PM Sean D said

I cringe when anyone mentions 'torrent'. From what I have heard it's a good way to ruin your system if you don't know what you're doing with it. And I don't know what I'm doing with it. My experience is limited, but frankly I just don't trust it. With my luck, I'd end up making the issue with the updater worse. But I did read that it was possible to get the files I needed that way and the process was pretty involved - downloading the files and then putting them in the correct directories where the game was installed on my system. I also read (and wasn't just saying off-hand) that the game has an issue with my particular router.

So yes, my original statement was an accurate, albeit short, account of my experience with the game out of the box. And for whoever suggested it, I did not have the same issues with WoW, or LotRO, or Guild Wars (though I did have similar problems with FFXI) and I am opposed to trolling as a rule.

@ Psycholips - I think that's truly a great thing that the game already has a community dedicated to helping computer illiterate people like me to solve their problems. No BS there. At the same time, however, I feel like there's something wrong when consumers are required to fix a product they just bought. I think I would feel much the same way had I purchased a new lawnmower, brought it home, and discovered that I was missing critical parts or needed to repair the engine prior to mowing my lawn.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 11:43PM Anatidae said

@Accordance A torrent really just a pointer to a group of people who have/want the same file as you. The download software simply grabs parts of the file from others while at the same time shares the parts you have already downloaded yourself.

Torrents will not mess up your system.

Now, if you choose to utilize torrent technology for fast downloading of pirated software and you neglect to scan seriously for trojans and viruses... then you could mess up your system. That said, downloading any executable software from any untrusted source is a danger.

Again, torrents themselves - not even as complex as a word document.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:26PM Floweringmind said

The updater is not working because they use a torrent like protocol. So if your ISP blocks those torrent for p2p file sharing you will not be able to download the updates. It could also be a problem with your router if you have one.

Another issue is that the game doesn't run full screen when you first start it.

You can address these issues by going into the directory where the game is installed and run this program: ffxivconfig.exe

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:44PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Accordance
You could have googled "ffxiv retail patch mirror" and found a mirror. I've had router problems with plenty of MMO's but that's just how it works sometimes. I agree with Relgoth it didn't seem like you wanted to really play the game. Which is fine but realize someone experiences these problems with every MMO.

@xslipperyx
No words

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 2:01PM (Unverified) said

Always worth a shot to try the guide we've created: http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/20414-torrent-patching-guide/

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 2:20PM (Unverified) said

There's just something wonky in general with the SE updater.

Leave it open overnight, 0% completed.

Open the raw torrent files with uTorrent, 100% in about an hour.

And I'm not doing anything fancy with my router. It was plug and play for uTorrent.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 4:11PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
FFXIV is perhaps the worst mmo i've ever played.

Currently it's #2 as #1 is reserved.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 6:52PM suicideking89 said

• Half a heart
John, obviously you're opinion about this game is wrong.

That's right, according to everyone else your OPINION is wrong.

Don't come in here being all opinionated and not liking what the kids like.

Obviously you're ignorant and just don't want to play the game.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 6:57PM dudemanjac said

I doubt his opinion is what did it. Maybe the way he put it. Maybe the fact that he added nothing to the conversation. I find it rediculous that voting someone down can dim or take away someone's comment, but in a case like this, where all he really did was say it sucks and walk off, I'm okay with seeing it disappear.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM