Posted: Oct 1st 2010 3:37PM Comrade Domovoi said

I like the part where this doesn't show you how big the city is. It would have been nice if they just started at one edge and kinda went through in a straight line or so. This just feels like screenshots in motion. Don't get me wrong I'm highly excited about this game, but this kind of info doesn't exactly give us a whole lot.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 3:39PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Honestly, very uninspiring. Bland art direction... it could be any game out there, no attention to detail.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 3:56PM Saker said

I thought it looked so very much like City of Heroes.... Except I didn't see many pedestrians (hardly any).

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 4:27PM phatbhuda said

I thought the city looked like a city, much more so than other games. The other nice thing is that the buildings looked different from each other.

In City of Heroes, it's often difficult to tell one city block from another, as they all look cookie cutter.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 5:51PM sortius said

If you'd played CO you'd say the complete opposite. It looks really nice, just a bit vacant and unfinished.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 12:54PM StClair said

phatbhuda:

Praetoria, made some six years later for GOING ROGUE, shows a much more "personalized", detailed and up-to-date style. If you were to apply that to Paragon City, I think you'd get something that looked a lot like this. (Too bad the CoH devs will probably never update the current zones thus.)

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 3:43PM Roscuro987 said

o.m.g.!!!! can not wait!!! *faint* :D

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 3:49PM Roscuro987 said

and footage of character creation will be at new york comic con!!! WOOT!!! :D

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 4:33PM Its Utakata stupid said

Just to confirm this, Chris Cao announced inpart:

"First of all, we are doing a panel at the Con, “DC Universe™ Online Creating the Next Legend” which is going to be a big reveal, of never before seen footage of our Character Create system."

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/350/feature/4583/page/1

...this is slated for October 9th, I believe...so next Staurday.

It should be interesting.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 4:06PM (Unverified) said

Aside from the popup shadows at about 36 seconds in the video, it looks nice. I like how tall the buildings look, makes the city seem huge. Just hope the zones are big enough. Sorta pointless to have small zones when you have super movement to get around quickly.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 4:26PM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
DC Universe Online or DC Earth Online or even just DC Town Online?

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 7:38PM Superfan said

Looking good so far! I am not completely up to speed with all of the game features but from what I have seen, I like!

I hope the city is average size and any future zones are different worlds and times. Are the missions instanced or....? I really like the CoH instanced mission style.

I think this will be a really cool start. It's a game done by people in the comic biz (creatively). CoH has some absolutely pathetic missions and stories which are then repeated as per their signature mission style. The early CoH TFs are so bad it seems they were put together and written by chimps or people with head injuries. They are not fun and repeat themselves.

If DC can avoid these pit falls then they might be ok. I am ok with just enough decent content as opposed to crappy content. I hope they realize it's there as long as the game exists so do a good job!

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 5:25PM (Unverified) said

The cities are over 1000 city blocks in size. Search other screenshots and videos, there are plenty of pedestrians. That "band art direction" came from Jim Lee, one of the most acclaimed comic book writers ever to grace the pages of a comic. There are no "zones" inside of the city. The only load screens you'll see are transferring from the city to mission instances, and switching cities.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 7:02PM (Unverified) said

"1000 city blocks" means the length times the width is 1000. So if the city is shaped like a square, each side would be about 32 blocks.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:30PM mattwo said

• 1 heart
a city "block" is not a shape so your logic is flawed

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 12:42PM pixelmonkey said

Man that is some bland looking art... lifeless and bland.. I hope they can bring up a notch before release (little worried now)...

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 9:19PM IveDefected said

the key thing to keep in mind here is that the game, as of now, only has those two cities. (Metrop and Gotham). This gives the devs a lot of leeway in terms of fleshing out those two cities. I have no doubt that they will be HUGE and full of life.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 9:24PM Misanthrope said

I've heard the size of each city is roughly analogous to the continents of WoW (at least at launch). Of course, the continents of WoW were rather thin and elongated, whereas the cities are more square in shape.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 10:30PM Vrazule said

My greatest concern is that this will be another instanced to death, barely any public area exploration / mingling like City of Heroes or Champions Online. Are the buildings instances only for missions or can we explore them and run into other players exploring them?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2010 1:20AM (Unverified) said

"I can deal with some instancing, but I'd like at least one Hero based MMO to actually give us an explorable world with public dungeons and public content and meaningful exploration."

That seems to be the opposite direction most MMOs are heading.
Instancing helps control over populated areas and lets face it, most MMO player don't choose to interact with other players that much outside of main cities, groups, and guilds.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM