Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:18AM Arkanaloth said

IMO armor appearance is *VERY* important. If I'm going to stare at an avvy for months / years then the gear better be worth staring at! I *LOVE* the visual style of GW and everything I've seen of GW2 leads me to believe that I will not be disappointed. For GuildWars this is especially important because once you have a max-armor rating set with mods there are only two real reasons to change armor:

1) you just want something that looks different. I'm a set junkie, my mesmer has about 7 elite sets fully modded.

2) you're trying out a build that has different mod requirements but don't want to disrupt your "every day" set.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:18AM Pan1 said

Personally I care a great deal about it.
I also don't think fashion and brawn are mutually exclusive.

A part of the reason why I like to get it right is because it helps in defining me as a player in the world. When I participate in PvP or high end PvE my appearance should say something about me as a player.

It shouldn't just say what build I have or class I am playing it should reflect my personality as a person. Flamboyant or reserved, am I trying to blend in to avoid conflict or am I advertising myself as a mark?

I think the desire to be a unique person in a virtual world is greatly underestimated by a lot of current and upcoming MMO's.

I also don't think its about pretty armours per se, I think its about variety and choice.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:21AM (Unverified) said

Very important. I tend to play female characters. Although I don't dislike skimpy outfits, I prefer a more elaborate equipment. When I think of women protagonists in plate armor, I think Joan of Arc, not a woman with cleavage, j-string and high heel boots made of steel. More leather centric armor I think of queen Boudica, guaranteed she was showing skin when going to battle. As for cloth based armor, I appreciate Gothic and Victorian dresses, not bikini's and short shorts.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:22AM (Unverified) said

I care.

Considering so few MMOs offer detailed character customisation, looking good in the limited options provided by the developers themselves is important for player expression.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:24AM (Unverified) said

"guaranteed she was showing skin "

was = wasn't

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 3:16PM (Unverified) said

Pretty sure Boudicca was a member of the Iceni, she would have fought like a beserker. Nearly nude.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:26AM Kaoy said

I think armour appearance is fairly important. Most players would agree they invest a lot in their characters, and the armour is one way of showing that off. It also gives you something interesting to look at and admire while grinding or just sitting around chatting, so it can add a lot to the enjoyment factor.

You mention DDO as an example of 'not-so-pretty', but it's armours are among my favorites. They are an odd sort of oasis of reasonable and fairly realistic designs in a genre that tends to go the dramatic and stylish routes. There is nothing wrong with really making the armours pop but when 'stylish and sexy' are the norm, 'practical and reasonable' is a nice change of pace.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:31AM PsiLAN said

Very important.
Has to look good, and i want to personalize it. Both things.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:35AM timthel0rd said

Fuck yeah I care.

But it's not just because I like fashion, if I'm playing a marauding beserker that can destroy an entire village on his, I want to look like a god damn marauding village destroying barbarian of destruction. If I'm wearing all my hard core armour and it's painted pink and yellow and blue, it's not so hardcore.

Also, it's great to not feel COMPLETELY invisible, by being able to customize the colour of your armour, at least. We all know that at end game 1 armour set generally has the best stats, or maybe there's 1 set for PvE and 1 for PvP, but in the end, we all end up looking pretty much exactly the same. Dye offers a little relief, a way to escape the monotony.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:37AM lizardbones said

I don't think the armor appearance is important, but if it's there as an option, I'll mess with it. I think my personal preference would be to have the ability to set the appearance separately from the armor statistics.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 9:01AM (Unverified) said

Character appearance in general is very important to me. There are a few aspects to this for me..

1. I want my character to look unique. There has to be enough character customization and gear variety that every other character of my class isn't running around looking exactly like I am. I hate it when you have a game full of clones. It destroys immersion.

2. I want to look cool! Call it vain or shallow, but a big reason I play MMORPG games is that I love to progress my character and have him look cool as he progresses. Some people hate gear-based games but I love it. It' s a big part of the fun for me.

3. The feeling of continued progress. When I get new gear it gives me a sense of progress even if I am still a while from leveling. I like a game to have steady character progression.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 10:04AM ultimateq said

A lot of the comments on here describe my view on this, but this post seems to be closest. So I'll give it my good ole' +1.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:40AM Alarie said

Important to me. Also the ability to dye it is an extra ++

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:42AM (Unverified) said

I care a whole lot. I'd go as far as saying that Character Customization is one of the most important systems for me, after only the Combat system and the game's Economy/Crafting systems. If there was a game with a solid Combat System, great Crafting/Economy and an awesome Character Customization system, I would need nothing else. I won't need quests, levels, stats, dungeons, bosses, guilds or anything else really.

As to why that is, it's because it's a form of expression. Like the guy above said, if I want to be a marauding village-destroying barbarian, it would be nice to reflect that. It means that my character has my own personal touch to it that's different than everyone else's.

Character Customization is very important indeed.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:47AM (Unverified) said

A more interesting question is "Do you care more about what your avatar looks then what YOU wear?" and i think alot of MMO players would say yes.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:52AM Shadanwolf said

It separates the wana be's .....from the will be's.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 8:59AM Critical Mass said

I would say the basic thing about having a certain look for ones physical appearance, is that it makes sense.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 9:05AM Birk said

Absolutely;

In my opinion, LOTRO has it the best right now. Cosmetic armor that doesnt affect your stat armor is -the- best option for customizability.

AoC would have been all the better for it, I think. There's nothing like having a completely unique looking character at level cap, something that definitely doesn't happen in, for example, WoW.

I'm not suggesting it for WoW, however; they have a particular style, and it probably wouldn't really fit with an armor customization mechanic; unless you could alter say, tier gear, in subtle ways (IE - coloration etc.).

-Birk

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 9:07AM Scuffles said

I'm not too fussy about how my gear looks, that said if the gear looks awesome thats just icing on great stats.

I guess it sorta comes down to how the gear looks doesn't matter unless it does.
I would prefer my gear to look epic .... but half the games I have played as of late all the high end gear looks the same per class .... so if everyone is epic .... no one is.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 9:11AM J Brad Hicks said

If my armor dictates my appearance, it's already a black mark against the game in my book. So if my armor dictates my appearance, that armor better look awfully good, look in-character for the character, and be dye-able.