Posted: Oct 1st 2010 2:43AM NeverDeath said

Game's going to kick ass. You're going to have white knight crusaders complaining every time something doesn't fit what they think it should be, and finding everything in the world wrong with it. These gameplay videos by the way aren't meant to show what it's like to fight challenging opponents - notice that the enemies die very very easily to the player's attacks. This is just meant to show basically how the classes work to those who haven't already researched the game.

I'm looking forward to this game just as much today as when it was first announced. Every game isn't for everybody. For example, I can't stand World of Not-challenging-at-all-Craft, or Age of Zero-Siege-Action. I'm happily playing WAR for the time being, which is improving substantially as the months roll on as of late - at least until TERA is released and I rush to subscribe to it.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 2:43AM NeverDeath said

Lol Valis. I've been gaming for 22 years and none of my gamer friends nor I have ever bought a game for any such reason, and never will. Gameplay is king, it is the only thing that really matters as it is the sole deciding factor above all else, that determines how fun the game is going to be to play. Age of Conan has bewbs in it, and naked ones at that, and it certainly did nothing to save it from lopsided class balance and a dearth of content.

I think I'll go with the more likely that the game will sell millions of copies once people realize it's fun as hell to play, because your decisions in combat are meaningful and not just a bunch of tab-target 1-2-3-4 + AFK = win nonsense like other MMOs. I think on THAT premise alone, it will be successful. MMOs are not a place where skill is overly emphasized - but it NEEDS to be more emphasized than it currently is, a bigger part of the equation so to speak.

Today's MMOs lack a level of challenge that most of us who remember challenging games sorely miss. This game promises to deliver on that level more than those which have come before it, and I think that while the aimed attacks and no-auto attack system is a start in the right direction, I also think that the level of intelligence and the quality of the scripts in the encounters I've seen so far for this game will help even the PvE be challenging - something I have not experienced in an MMO since several years ago when WoW was young.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 8:24AM Snichy said

NeverDeath, after reading all your comments on this article and game, I couldnt have put it better myself. Its as if you read my mind, bravo!

Im very much looking forward to the game and the constant moaning from people about the aesthetics is getting tiresome.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 10:20AM (Unverified) said

IMHO, three things will negatively affect the sales & success of TERA.

The first is latency. Once over 100ms (very common in north america) latency will cause misses in this environment, despite player skill. There is a reason servers for FPS games are sub 100ms for any serious players. Latency is king without auto-aim and auto-target. Where will the servers be hosted? West coast? East coast is hosed. East coast? West coast is hosed. Central? Everyone suffers. The speed of light through fiber is not a variable.

The second is the overall lack of cultural masculinity. There is no "westernization" of any kind happening with the art assets for The Exiled Realm of Arborea. That will ultimately relegate the style to being one of conflict and dismissal from north americans and western europeans. What distinguishes the races between males and females? boobs. that's it. The faces, models, armor styles, hair styles, facial features, arms, skin, legs, "muscles", textures. All feminine. Go look at the screenshots, it's all there. Show me a non-boob gender difference, on a human, meant-to-be-human, pseudo-human or "elf", in TERA, and I will admit I'm wrong on this point.

Third thing: You know what popori females are, right? They're little girls in provocative outfits. You know what popori males are, right? They're pseudo-humanoid animals. Spin that disaster any way you like, it can only end badly. (And yes, I understand the lore behind the Popori "genders". In this context, it doesn't matter. In this context, ONLY appearance matters, unfortunately.)

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 6:26PM ElfLove said

Ya know...before a back away very slowly I just want to say a few things.

I've been a gamer for about as long as you have(actually longer in some respects)...and yet I can still have opinions on the art direction of a game. I respect your reply but really...I was being a bit sarcastic (thought it is east enough to miss that in text) so really...just...You know...chill a bit ok?

I just hope for your sake that this game, is the most prefect and amazing MMO, to ever grace our weary human souls.

I really do.

...but enough of that now I'm out of any Tera posts from now on.

*backs away slowly*

Peace out.

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 3:44AM (Unverified) said

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 5:08AM Bhima said

Anyone else slightly disappointed in the transition animations (i.e.: from running to standing still just sorta happens in what feels like 1 frame)? For a game that has some great animation sequences I would like to think their design team will finish some of those transition animations to smooth it out a bit more.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 8:30AM Snichy said

The videos certainly make me more excited for the game, and I dont waste my time responding to those same people who keep coming up moaning about the amount of flesh on show and how "armour" should be "realistic"!

The one problem I had about the videos is that these are supposed to be ranged classes and yet they spent a lot of time in melee range. I like my archers and casters to remain at range and have a varieity of tools to stay at range, or if not have melee abilities to compensate (e.g. Archer class in LOTRO) - in these videos the mobs found it very easy to reach the player and the player spent a lot of time runnning away or casting ranged abilities at point-blank range which I think looks silly. Also there seemed to be range issues - they seem to have to get very close to the mob before beginning an attack, I like to be as far away as possible from the mob hence the term "ranged"! However this is still an early stage of development so hopefully it wont be an issue!

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 9:33AM Serious Table said

Was anyone else reminded of P.N.03 when the Sorcerer was casting?

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 11:59AM Somnicide said

@r2d242: In regards to the male/female differences thats total bullshit. The only two that look similar are Castanics (succubi/incubi) and the Elves. Proof below.

Human males look like linebackers, females look like WoW human females.
Human Male in Plate:
Human Female in Plate:

Amani Males look so different from females I dont even need to explain it.
Amani Male in Cloth:
Amani Female in Cloth:
(can only have 3 urls, next post)

Baraka have no female counterpart, and I dont even need to bring up the popori differences. Really cant tell where you got that idea from.

Posted: Oct 3rd 2010 11:23PM Somnicide said

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 1:22PM NeverDeath said

Well Somnicide, I was going to link all kinds of evidence as to why R2d242 was full of shite - but it looks as if you've beaten me to the punch. Thanks for saving me the trouble ;)

As for female Popori - they're pretty much the same way that "fae" are represented in other games in terms of how they dress, and I've never seen an uproar about it before, in all the many games where they've dressed a bit less than modestly. Although people have become whinier and more self-entitled over the years to the point where they actually believe their uninformed opinion should have the same weight as an informed one, I sincerely doubt that anyone, barre religious nuts, is going to give a damn.

As far as latency is concerned, it plays a major factor in every game, and since it uses the Unreal 3 engine - I'm going to have to go ahead and say that the engine has seen extensive use and "testing" already, and it has done just fine. While the number of players in an MMO will wildly exceed the number of players in an Unreal 3 match, to be sure - I will wait to hear evidence that they have not anticipated and counteracted this before I jump to conclusions about any sort of "failure". From what I understand, they were talking about 8 months ago about how the server latency is going to be a non-issue because of X reasons. I don't remember what they were, but they sounded logical. I'm sure you could look them up.

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 3:01AM (Unverified) said

Quite so. Maybe the Sorceress could wear something a little heavier and not get... pwned so completely. Is it just me, or did nearly every scene wipe on the Sorc video end with her pretty much entirely out of control of the situation?

Posted: Oct 6th 2010 7:56PM (Unverified) said

For being ranged, that's an awful lot of melee range...

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM