Posted: Sep 30th 2010 11:22AM Scopique said

Actually, Parallel Kingdoms did this, although with significantly less polish.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 11:23AM wraith808 said

This isn't the first. Parallel Kingdom (http://www.parallelkingdom.com/) has been around for a while, and I'd definitely consider it an MMO. And it's cross platform.

I'm surprised you bought into that line without research...

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 11:23AM Thac0 said

This sounds like the kinda of thing I've been waiting for. An MMO based in some sort of real world meta-reality. We can now do battle while shopping for kitty litter! Huzzah!

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 11:32AM Arkanaloth said

*VERY* interesting..... I'll keep a look out for it. Looks like a very interesting use of the iPhone and GPS mapping.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 11:33AM mttgamer said

I agree you bought that line "hook line and sinker" but There is also a game for the android called "pocket empires" like those strategy type games that claim to be an MMO (build barracks, amass an army, attack people)

I'm still going to sign up for notifications, it better not JUST be for iphone :(

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 11:36AM Ocho said

It definitely sounds like an interesting concept.

"Hey honey, want to go for a walk down the beach?"
"Okay, let me just grab my phone. I'm only one bar from leveling up!"

Now, they need to make it for Android so those of us anti-Iphoners can check it out. :)

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 12:12PM (Unverified) said

I can see the epic fight between iPhone and Android users.....

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 1:24PM Thac0 said

That would be so sweet. Two teams real world ... Enemies could be anywhere! If they combine this with the geocaching of loots ... OMG!

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 1:45PM Darkdust said

Right on. Android's the future, after all.

And I'd love *love* LOVE to see a cyberpunk or espionage flavored ARG of this caliber.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 6:19PM gildhur said

Fascinating. Now where's the damn Droid version? Tunnel vision...

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 2:49PM (Unverified) said

this is awesome !

Parallel Kingdoms has nothing to do against this.

can't wait xD

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 5:00PM Henthor said

Yaay!! now a trillion people can know where all are and what they do all time. man marketing personnel and advertising must be in delirium at the moment.

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 6:50PM (Unverified) said

It will depend if it nickame players ... no ?

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 5:54PM mattward1979 said

I give it 2 weeks after general release and press before the first "Location Based MMO Stabbing"...

I can just imagine it on a train or something... Your phone goes nuts in your pocket and you realise that the douche sat 2 seats away from you just killed you.

"OMG WTF NOOB! GANKING MOFO!" Stab stab stab..

I come from London.. This will happen...

Posted: Sep 30th 2010 7:50PM Faryon said

iPhone only...

Doubt we will ever see this for Android.

Posted: Oct 1st 2010 7:35AM (Unverified) said

I participated in some alpha testing for this, and it was a whole lot of fun, satisfying interface too. Looking forward to it going live at last. They've been working on this for a long time trying to get it just right.

As for being on Android too--give the devs a break, getting a good, polished game out on one platform to begin with is hard enough without having to simultaneously make it for another one! :)

I'm speaking as someone with a multi-platform app. It's a huge pain, every change has to be remade in every platform, and when you factor in Android's multiple handsets, etc, you end up fixing bugs more than polishing features. It makes a lot of sense to just start with one, do it properly there, and then consider other platforms once the first one is solid.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014