Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:08AM Zaetal said

Completely unimportant, to the point of despising their existence. Plus I usually play with 4-6 alts at a time in a given MMO, so doing ALL those achievements on ALL those characters would just drive me insane. So I only get achievements that you just walk into by doing activities, not anything I go out of my way for.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 5:10PM Aleforge said

Agree, I don't dislike them at much as Tolgar, but I am in the same boat. Once you play so many alts through the same content they become very mundane. Although I wouldn't want them missing from the game. They just aren't a big deal to me.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 12:41PM TexRob said

This is kind of a dumb question, because it's been asked 100 times before. Now what I would like to see is ask people if they like Achievements, then have them post their results from a Bartle test. I'd be shocked if anyone with A for the first letter in their results wasn't someone who liked Achievements.

I haven't taken it in years, but I was an AKES, and guess what, I like cheevos.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:08PM Arsinek said

Completely useless unless they give you something more then a checkmark in a box.

They seem like a cheap and easy way to add content thats not really content.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:10AM (Unverified) said

There are some pretty nice achievements like discovering POIs or finishing quests but those "killing 5 mio xy mobs" are brainless.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

I admit, I'm an achievement junkie. And I think Lotro's deed system is my favorite mmo achievement system so far. It's extremely hard not to kill those extra 10 mobs for 5 turbine points and then a virtue for the later mobs. Best way to keep my attention. Just pay me to grind!

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:31AM (Unverified) said

I think LotRO's Deeds are mostly slayer deeds, which are all grindfest. That, or the "use this skill 2,500 times more" kind of deeds which I fail to see how you could like them.

To each his own I guess.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:12AM (Unverified) said

Utterly pointless, they only take up time that could be spent developing actual content.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 12:04PM Birk said

Alrighty mate,

Two things that bite me a bit with that statement:

1) You assume that achievements are not "real" content, because they don't interest you. That's highly subjective.

2) You assume that setting a variable that changes from "0" to "1" when you kill "X" amount of creatures, or complete "X" amount of quests, or fall "X" amount of feet really cuts into development time.

-Birk

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 4:43PM ThePenIsMightier said

Birk, changing the variable from 0 to 1 is not only an oversimplification of the technical process, but you seem to assume that getting an achievement-getting ANYTHING-put into a game is as easy as saying "I have a great idea!"

There's the development meetings, agreeing on what should/shouldn't be an achievement, deciding on a name/description, any applicable art style, whether or not it has a reward, point balance if the system tracks points ala WoW, categorization, you know.....all those "little" things that take many people BEFORE getting to a programmer who likely faces a far more difficult task than assigning a mere few dozen 1s and 0s.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:22AM Snorii said

I got into the badges of City of Heroes - trying to get as many as I could. It finally hit me that there was no way I was going to get them all - like the insane healing badge requirements (a typo made them out of reach for all but the diehards). I still like getting as many as I can. CoH does reward achievements through accolades, btw.

In Lotro, you now get Turbine Points for all the deeds you complete. It isn't much, but it is an added bonus to titles and virtues that come along with deeds already.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:23AM Daelda said

I have a *lot* of free-time to play MMOs, due to my circumstances, which allows me the opportunity to become bored after a while. Achievements are a good way to distract me from that boredom and give me goals that lead me to locations and activities that I might have missed otherwise.

I dislike pointless Achievements, "You reached level 5!", "You waved to someone!", etc. But well thought out Achievements - especially if they are tied in to Lore, interesting POI, or an in-game character advancement mechanic like in LotRO - can be a lot of fun! And if I can get all, or most all of the Achievements a game has to offer? That's just fun to brag about - *especially* if they include some extremely difficult Achievements.

Give me Achievements - make them matter - and give me lots of them!

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:31AM MrsAngelD said

Well the only ones I've really gone out of my way for and I mean really out of my way, are the Guild Wars titles, I'm dying to know what benefits my characters will reap in GW2 for all the hard work I've put into them. Hopefully it will be well worth the time and effort spent to have such a pack Hall of Monuments.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:30AM Noah K said

If all achievements gave some sort of in-game reward... not just points, but points that can be spent on items, then I will go after the achievement.

If it's just for bragging rights... I'll pass.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 10:03AM DeadlyAccurate said

Same here. The only ones I really even attempt are those in LOTRO. I don't mind getting titles for deeds. I'll use the titles if I get them. But I don't care for achievements that only serve to tell me I got the achievement.

Please, devs, give me stuff for doing the deeds: buffs, pots, store points, housing items, vanity clothing. Something special.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:31AM Audacious said

If they have tangible rewards and even some (interesting) fluff attached to them like that tome thing in Warhammer, I think achievements are pretty cool. When it's just some stupid thing that goes bloop on the bottom of my screen and/or spits palette swapped mount number 58 (lol rust colored Protodrake) in my direction, I think it's a waste of time.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:35AM Saintjude said

Are they pointless? Sure.

Do they add a little bit of something to the game? Of course.

They are nice for "filler" material when you don't know what you want to do next or when you have some time to kill.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 11:38AM (Unverified) said

Totally agree, they are like extra credit. Not required, but something to do for a change of pace.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:36AM (Unverified) said

In most cases I think the achievement system is put in to just to encourage a grind and to make up for the lack of content. LOTRO deed rewards are good but so much grinding.

Posted: Sep 29th 2010 8:40AM Arkanaloth said

IMO "Look at me!!" achievements are totally useless. I agree with Noah, if an achievement gave some kind of in-game reward then it's worth the effort such as the titles in GW which boost the power level of skills, or maybe a point system where you can buy items like mini-pets or such, but bragging rights just for bragging rights???

No thanks.